Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Out There Got A Road Legal 'stroker?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:55 pm

Last year, I was hankering for a change and although that turned out to be the TDM this April it could very well have been something as totally impractical as Aprilia 125RS.

I also looked online for the likes of an RGV250, an RS250 or even the legendary TDR250....

As with the TRX, these are probably bikes I'll never own, particularly as emissions reg's are now so stringent that they'll soon be illegal to run...

Do any of you have insanity on wheels in the form of a 2-stroke road bike?

Almost redundant but: photos welcome!

Edited by SeizedBalt, 30 June 2020 - 02:21 pm.

#2 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:14 pm

Not road bikes per se, old school trailies. My DT 230 and CRM 250R.

Our local roads are really twisty, like Scottish West coast peninsula roads but with more trees. It's difficult to ever get faster than 120kmh so the wee trailies are weapons. I've been thinking of motarding them for years but I would probably have a whoopsie. As it stands the TDM cannot keep them in sight for long.

Nothing quite like going down the box on the 2t and cracking the throttle straight onto the pipe. Really addictive.

If nothing else, I should upgrade the brakes. The four finger squeeze of death can be a worry.

The DT has competition jetting (same as WR200) and the CRM has a race pipe. Really wakes them up!

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#3 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:49 pm

I have an RD400, i used to go everywhere on it, i have been to the isle of man on it... but then i got a TDM, and it sort of got pushed to the back of the garage.
Tomorrow it turns 40 years old, so i will apply for historic status, and get free road tax

#4 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:02 pm

A mate of mine had an RGV250 and a KR1S years ago, mental machines,...nothing...nothing...nothing,,,,WEHAAAAY...nothing.

He packed up riding after a bad accident some years ago, but can't bring himself to sell his properly batshit crazy CR500 supermoto.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:07 am

I have an RD400, i used to go everywhere on it, i have been to the isle of man on it... but then i got a TDM, and it sort of got pushed to the back of the garage.
Tomorrow it turns 40 years old, so i will apply for historic status, and get free road tax

Sounds like a reason to get back on it!

Are they quick?

A mate of mine had an RGV250 and a KR1S years ago, mental machines,...nothing...nothing...nothing,,,,WEHAAAAY...nothing.

He packed up riding after a bad accident some years ago, but can't bring himself to sell his properly batshit crazy CR500 supermoto.

Never ridden a 250.  Largest stroker I'd tried was my mate's NS150R big-bore.  That was pretty mad.  Lots more torque than my own NS125R. Although, I fitted an Allspeed race can to that, together with bigger jets and, my, what a difference!! 

Probably only about 20bhp and a far cry from the 33bhp you could wring out of a Cagiva or Aprilia, but still.  It was a leap from the "L"-plate asthamtic performance I'd had until then...

Those 250s did sound like a blast!

Edited by SeizedBalt, 03 July 2020 - 08:14 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users