• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 RatHawk

RatHawk

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 57 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:15 pm

EDIT * Please go straight to the end of this story for the latest...  We are, as of 08-13-13 tapped out on this group buy.  If you need a set of bars see Clocklaw's newer group buy that is picking up steam here on the forum.  I may soon have a slightly used set up for sale though.  One of ours got a paint chip in shipping... They'll show up in a new topic post in the For Sale section.   THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR GETTING INVOLVED! Carry on...

Well, first off, Hello, glad to be here as a TDM850 owner - finally.  I'm trying to get some bash bars from Renntec, If this interests you read on...

I'm  a newbie to the TDM850 Forum having just purchased a rare bird last week here in the US of A.  Been watching them for decades and finally came across the right opportunity at the right time.  Bought a 1991 TDM850 with about 20k on the clock, owner had to part with it though it pained him to do so... Dave, I'll take care of your bike for you!

I'm planning on uprating the spec to a more dual sport capability and have been burning my eyeballs out looking for parts.  Renntec no longer makes the bashbars for this older model though after an email exchange over the last couple days they said a batch of 20 is a minimum manufacturing threshold if I buy all 20 (or bring them 19 orders I guess?).  So, am interested in letting that out for discussion.  

I'd like for Renntec to remake us all the old bash bars for the TDM850 but need cooperation from everyone else who'd like them in order for this plan to happen.  I'd be willing and able to front the whole order at a resale cost to interested parties of $120/pair plus shipping to US riders only. I'd need 15 or so folks with a definite interest to contact me in order for me to risk the funds and execute an order with Renntec.  I could sit on the few remaining parts using ebay, this forum and time to get them sold.  Otherwise, UK, American and European folk who want them would presumably have to contact Hannah at Renntec to inform her of the pent up demand...  With all the success lately of petitions to the gub'mint here it seems this small task is a doable thing for CarpeTDM and for Renntec.  Help me make it a GO!    

These old bikes still have a long ways to roll!  PM me, I can relay progress on this to Hannah at Renntec or try her at info@renntec.co.uk.  If interest materializes I offer myself up as the squeaky wheel to see it through.

Glad to be here,

Alan aka RatHawk

PS if anyone has a good set of bashbars I'll gladly relieve you of them...That's them under all that mud...Attached File  tdmdualsport.jpg   101.4KB   51 downloads

Here's my TDM, just missing some crashbars...:Attached File  2013-05-11 07.28.01.jpg   171.72KB   9 downloads

Edited by RatHawk, 13 August 2013 - 12:30 pm.

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty." --- Peter Egan

#2 squonk

squonk

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 215 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:28 pm

rat hawk are you after these by any chance ? see pic

Attached Files

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:44 pm

Welcome to the forum RH.  Shame you missed the last sets a year or so ago as they were being sold off new for very cheap indeed.  Someone tried to do a Renntec group thing afore and it never took off: http://www.carpe-tdm...2591&hl=renntec

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:01 pm

:welcome:

I may be wrong, but I think those bars on MBs bike were made for him or by him.

They're not Renntec ones as in Sqounk's photo.

Edited by TDMick, 19 March 2013 - 09:02 pm.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#5 RatHawk

RatHawk

• 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:17 pm

Oh well Squonk, those are them I guess... You have some available?  I had thought the Renntec's were similar to MB I guess...  Either/Or. More bash protection the better.  Once I have the basics bolted onto the frame there's no telling what I might add to them...

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty." --- Peter Egan

#6 squonk

squonk

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:38 pm

hi rat hawk, yes i have them. they were identified as rentec by others on carpe. they are fitted to mk 2's as others have done but i think were origionally meant for mk 1's.  if you want to buy them you could p.m me and agree a price then we can see what the cost of shipping might be to the usa from the uk ? not cheap i dont spose .

oh it looks like yours is a mk 1, so these were designed for that then .  :)

#7 LDRider

LDRider

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:38 am

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in northern California, so PM if you're local or visiting on the bike.  If you're trying to put an order together I'm interested in a set.  Been meaning to order them for ages.  Rather have a set like MB - i think his are designed to deflect charging kangaroos.

2010 BMW R1200GSA 30th Anniv
2006 BMW K1200S set up for touring
1992 TDM850 set up for touring

#8 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:13 am

:welcome:

I may be wrong, but I think those bars on MBs bike were made for him or by him.

They're not Renntec ones as in Sqounk's photo.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in northern California, so PM if you're local or visiting on the bike.  If you're trying to put an order together I'm interested in a set.  Been meaning to order them for ages.  Rather have a set like MB - i think his are designed to deflect charging kangaroos. Worked too   :rotflmmfao: 

G'day Rathawk & welcome to the "dark side" of TDM riding   :yeahbaby:   

I have the same problem as you ............ we live too bloody far away from the suppliers   <_<  

Consequently I got my local engineering guru to make my bars for me.

Strange, I was contacted yesterday about my bars by SaintPeter from AdvRider forum, you may have additional interest with your bulk buy idea there. 

Good luck with your venture.

PS when you get rolling, don't forget your camera  ;)

Cheers

MB

Edited by masterbrewer, 20 March 2013 - 08:24 am.

#9 RatHawk

RatHawk

• 57 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:33 am

MasterBrewer sir,
Did your local engineering guru take notes when he did yours? I might would rather have the set he makes than Renntec's... No kangaroos to deflect around here but you try hitting one these burmese pythons that just swallowed a deer! They present a helluva speedbump! You never know what's gonna happen next! Or the 90 year old in a Chrysler... Don't get me started. Can your guru do a cowcatcher? Buzzard splitter?

Edited by RatHawk, 21 March 2013 - 01:34 am.

#10 lparker

lparker

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:22 am

I am interested in them sqonk . How much were you wanting? I live in Derby so could pick them up depending on where you are? Cheers

#11 squonk

squonk

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:37 am

iparker sent you p.m.         squonk

#12 RatHawk

RatHawk

• 57 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:41 pm

Still holding out hope here that there are 20 folks here who'd be interested in Renntec making us a fresh batch of crash bars... If not, I guess I'll be making or adapting my own.

#13 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:55 pm

Still holding out hope here that there are 20 folks here who'd be interested in Renntec making us a fresh batch of crash bars... If not, I guess I'll be making or adapting my own.

I'd have a set - for a '96 Mk2  :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#14 LDRider

LDRider

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:15 pm

Hey SS, what do you think of that G650XC?  I've been thinking of getting a lighter bike that I could off road easier than the GSA that wouldn't torture me getting there. 

2010 BMW R1200GSA 30th Anniv
2006 BMW K1200S set up for touring
1992 TDM850 set up for touring

#15 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:30 am

MasterBrewer sir,
Did your local engineering guru take notes when he did yours? I might would rather have the set he makes than Renntec's... No kangaroos to deflect around here but you try hitting one these burmese pythons that just swallowed a deer! They present a helluva speedbump! You never know what's gonna happen next! Or the 90 year old in a Chrysler... Don't get me started. Can your guru do a cowcatcher? Buzzard splitter?

I have the honour and pleasure of knowing Terry, this "old school" guy who owns Redline Exhausts here in Adelaide, South Australia.

Love his bottom line "Shipping to anywhere the post goes"    :good:

Like he says, "I can fabricate anything from scratch if you have the time & the money"     ;)  (all I gave him to work with was a photograph/hand drawing)

Very few of those clever people around anymore who are prepared to give it anything go   :sorry:

I relate to him very closely, as my poor late father, a WW2 returned soldier had to basically "engineer" (that's new age talk) everything to suit his requirements on his farm. My kids used to say "If Grandpa can't fix it, it just can't be fixed" :P

I am cursed if you can call it that, well not really actually, lucky if you ask me  :oldgit:  with looking at anything and seeing it for what I can make/convert it to do for me rather than seeing it for what someone else made it for.

I always enjoyed the strange look on the faces of my local bike breaking yard owners when asked what I wanted: my replay "don't know until I see it" :rotflmmfao:

Edited by masterbrewer, 25 March 2013 - 12:21 pm.

#16 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:46 am

I'd have a set - for a '96 Mk2  :good:

I have a 98 Mk2 and would also be interested.but presumably, if the MK1 and MK2 bars are different, that doesn't help you.

Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#17 RatHawk

RatHawk

• 57 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:55 pm

Yup, I do believe there is a sufficient difference between MkI and MkII bikes that the two cannot be satisfied by one crash bar design.  Mostly to do with the attachment points' locations I suppose.  Otherwise I think one overall cage shape would work for both.  I'm just coming up to speed on these things... Maybe one cage and two different mounting blocks to satisfy MkI and MkII?

Terry, Masterbrewer's esteemed Engineer in Australia, seems to be our immediate best hope for a short run.  Though we'd have to contact Redline Exhaust and get the design from Masterbrewer's bike OK'd for reproduction.  And that's all IF any notes were taken from the first set that is...  I may be able to cobble a few myself with less cost and trouble than recon, production and posting them from Australia presents.  Nice as MB's set appears to be and all... 

Lastly, Renntec might yet be persuaded to do two short runs of ten each and just restock the other ten of each design to be sold on their site?  So that means if we could get 10 MkI owners and ten MkII owners to commit we'd perhaps have ouselves a group by of sorts...

With a bit more interest I will go to bat with Hannah ant Renntec and see what can be done...

Edited by RatHawk, 25 March 2013 - 05:58 pm.

#18 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:35 pm

Yes you can fit the Renntec bars for the MKI on a MKII, I had them on my MKII, does pinch the water pipe a wee bit, not a problem though.

You can just about see where the crash bars pinch the water pipe.

#19 RatHawk

RatHawk

• 57 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:57 pm

Thanks for the report on fitment A-Style Maximus.  One of the greatest brand logos to come along in a while I might add...

#20 starkmojo

starkmojo

• 51 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:25 am

I live in Portland Oregon... I would be good for a set. Count me in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users