• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:52 pm

Hi Chaps & Chap’esses – This is my first post so please be real gentle with me. I also know that this topic has been around and debated for some time with no real solution being found. I love my 2003 900, its simply awesome – she is my first grown up bike after growing old and tired of balls out sportsbikes. Anyway yep it’s the clutch which sounds like Peter Mandleson having been peeled and chucked in a barrel of salt – you know the sound! Anyway I get it when I pull away anything other than really gently, damn near shit myself the first time I heard it! It does improve a bit when the bike warms up. Anyway I have replaced the clutch plates and changed the oil (JASO MA Shell Advance AX7) several times still no avail. I tried my local Yam dealer who called Yam Tech helpdesk, and they denied all knowledge of the problem (Liars) – so im kinda stuck what to do next. I know this is a really common problem, but there really ought to be a solution, so any up to date comments would be really appreciated. – Thanks Ronnie

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:10 pm

Hello Ronnie, the 9'er clutch seems to be a sensitive soul. If all clutch bits are within spec and operating correctly then there is a clutch basket mod that a few peeps have done.

LIAW did the one I remember but that was many years ago and on a previous incarnation of the forum. Hopefully wan of the 9'er bhoyos will be along to tell you there is a more up to date/findable thread on a modification or you might find summat with the search facility (top right). You spoilt my JASO MA singing there too but still, welcome to Carpe.

Was that gentle enough? smile.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:18 pm

I've had this problem with various oils. I had to stop using Hein Gericke semi-synth for this reason. Bike is running well on Happy Shopper 10-40 semi synth at the moment. Seems to be no rhyme or reason.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:15 pm

Never had a chirp from my 9 clutch in 7 years. From memory the 9 clutch basket has the mods done on them at the Factory

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#5 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:43 pm

Hi there and welcome Ronnie

My first 9er screeched badly and, like yours, was not so bad after the engine had warmed up. I also tried several different oils all to no avail. My 2nd 9er, which is the same year as my first, doesn't do it at all (thankfully).

Unfortunately there does not seem to be any hard and fast solution to this and, again like you, I could not get any positive response from a couple of different Yamaha mechanics.

However, my first bike only had 4.5K miles on the clock when I bought it and I sold it with 38K. During that period I had no problems with the clutch apart from the horrible noise.

Who knows, one day the mystery may be solved unsure.gif
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#6 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:55 pm

QUOTE(Ronnie @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Chaps & Chap’esses – This is my first post so please be real gentle with me. I also know that this topic has been around and debated for some time with no real solution being found. I love my 2003 900, its simply awesome – she is my first grown up bike after growing old and tired of balls out sportsbikes. Anyway yep it’s the clutch which sounds like Peter Mandleson having been peeled and chucked in a barrel of salt – you know the sound! Anyway I get it when I pull away anything other than really gently, damn near shit myself the first time I heard it! It does improve a bit when the bike warms up. Anyway I have replaced the clutch plates and changed the oil (JASO MA Shell Advance AX7) several times still no avail. I tried my local Yam dealer who called Yam Tech helpdesk, and they denied all knowledge of the problem (Liars) – so im kinda stuck what to do next. I know this is a really common problem, but there really ought to be a solution, so any up to date comments would be really appreciated. – Thanks Ronnie

Hi Ronnie and welcome to the madhouse. My 900 is a 2003/53 with 35000 miles on the clock. My clutch squeals when cold , but stops when the oil has circulated.
it has been doing this for a couple of years with no apparent ill effects. So I shouldn't worry too much.

#7 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:48 pm

mkii, 9er & mki. All of mine have done this, usually when being aggressive with the bike

#8 fung

fung

really likes Carpe

• 84 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:17 am

QUOTE(MaximusPetrolhead @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mkii, 9er & mki. All of mine have done this, usually when being aggressive with the bike

My '05 9er does it, but my '96 TRX doesn't and its clutch basket hasn't been modified.
The only difference, is that the TRX has Motul 5100 in it, and the TDM has the oil (unknown brand) put in by the last shop service.
I'm doing oil (Motul 5100), filter, camchain tensioner (upgrade version), chain (GXW525) and sprockets (JT) wednesday, so i will be able to see if the oil change changes things wink.gif
cheers
fung
cool.gif
I'd rather wear out than rust

#9 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:16 am

QUOTE(fung @ Mon 18th Jun 2012, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My '05 9er does it, but my '96 TRX doesn't and its clutch basket hasn't been modified.
The only difference, is that the TRX has Motul 5100 in it, and the TDM has the oil (unknown brand) put in by the last shop service.
I'm doing oil (Motul 5100), filter, camchain tensioner (upgrade version), chain (GXW525) and sprockets (JT) wednesday, so i will be able to see if the oil change changes things wink.gif
cheers
fung
cool.gif

Personally I wouldn't use JT sprockets. I ordered Renthal last time and there is a big difference in quality.

#10 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:02 am

QUOTE(fung @ Mon 18th Jun 2012, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cheers
fung
cool.gif

I would love to hear the outcome of your service rolleyes.gif

#11 Chris B

Chris B

just half a litre to go

• 827 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:40 pm

Mine used to do this too (2002 model), but I changed the clutch Basket for a later one when one of the fingers shattered. That was about 20k miles ago and it hasn't done it since.

02 TDM 900, Silver. 85k miles 

Givi Box + panniers, Baglux Cover, Baglux Bag, R&Gs, Remus Cans, PC3, Air Box Mod, DL handguards, Hel Hoses, Heated Grips, LED Lights on handguards, Scottoiler, Scorpion Rad guard, Top Sellerie Seat, Gear Indicator, Stebel Nautilus, Wilbers Rear Shock, MCT reworked forks.

#12 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:05 pm

QUOTE(Chris B @ Mon 18th Jun 2012, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine used to do this too (2002 model), but I changed the clutch Basket for a later one when one of the fingers shattered. That was about 20k miles ago and it hasn't done it since.

If you dont mind me asking how much was the new clutch basket?

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:47 pm

Since none of the bhoyos have come up with the mod: ear is LIAW's thread:

http://www.carpe-tdm...i...tch&start=0
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#14 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:09 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Mon 18th Jun 2012, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since none of the bhoyos have come up with the mod: ear is LIAW's thread:

http://www.carpe-tdm...i...tch&start=0

Thanks But OMG that looks really severe - especially that it is on the old forum and none of the piccys are there anymore....

I suspect that is out of my limited capability :-(

#15 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:40 pm

Mine does it too, quite alarming when it happens,
but it doesn't seem to be detrimental.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#16 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:38 pm

QUOTE(Ronnie @ Mon 18th Jun 2012, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks But OMG that looks really severe - especially that it is on the old forum and none of the piccys are there anymore....

I suspect that is out of my limited capability :-(

You're right to be cautious. LIAW did like to go severe with his modifications.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#17 trampa

trampa

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:00 pm

had that for ages, changed oil brand and never again (was with lidl's cheapoil and now with semi-s)
something else and unrelated, halfords has filters for tdm for cheaper than any bike shop (x302 I think it's called)

#18 trampa

trampa

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:53 am

QUOTE(Quilmore @ Mon 18th Jun 2012, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
had that for ages, changed oil brand and never again (was with lidl's cheapoil and now with semi-s)
something else and unrelated, halfords has filters for tdm for cheaper than any bike shop (x302 I think it's called)

I curse myself... it happened today again
don't know how to get rid of it, new oil certainly makes is less likely, but I'm out of ideas

#19 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:26 am

Email sent to Yam Customer services yesterday - Im not holding out too much hope - I sispect it will be simply ignored and put in the too hard to fix bin! - Might be a good idea if as meany of us as possible email them about this, then at least they can no longer deny its a problem. Please send a mail to marketing@yamaha-motor.co.uk mark it customer services and note on here when you sent it - see if we can get a campaign going!

Dear Customer Services,

I am a very happy owner of a 2003 TDM 900with approx. 23,000 miles ridden. I have a persistent issue, which from searching the internet and TDM forums (Carpe TDM for example) is a problem which is widespread and is currently being denied by Yamaha leaving customers no resolution to the problem.

The problem to which I refer is the screaming noise which emits from the clutch when moving off at anything other than a gentle pace. I have been on more than one occasion to my local dealer (Webbs Peterborough – Steve dealing) who contacted Yamaha Technical who refused to accept there was an issue, and in fact on the second occasion said they had never heard of this before, after we had already consulted, so clearly this was not true. I have replaces the clutch friction plates and replaced the oil several times with no resolution to the problem.

I am contacting you directly as my dealer is saying without guidance from Yamaha Technical they don’t know how to rectify this issue, which I repeat is clearly widespread with evidence being easily found from the internet and owner forums.

Please would you explain to me why Yamaha deny this problem clearly exists, why Yamaha deny that they know about this problem, when the patently do, as my dealer has contacted them about this, and finally what Yamaha are offering as a solution to what is clearly an inherent manufacturing defect evidenced by the wide reporting of this issue.

I look forward to your reply

Kind regards

Ronnie

#20 fung

fung

really likes Carpe

• 84 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:57 am

QUOTE(Ronnie @ Mon 18th Jun 2012, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would love to hear the outcome of your service rolleyes.gif

new Motul 5100 10w-50w with an oem filter. . . still howls blink.gif

p.s. when you remove the tensioner (after rolling the motor to the 'T' mark three times just to be sure, and finding it had already been fitted with the revised item dry.gif ) make absolutely positive that it has fully released ALL its tension . . . . . don't turn your back on it !!
I did, and so did my mechanic . . . . we both heard that dreaded 'click' and assumed the bloody camchain had jumped a tooth !!! ranting.gif
off with the seat, side fairings, tank, radiator, thermostat assembly, rocker cover . . . . . . . and wouldn't you know it, it hadn't bloody well moved had it ! ! ! ! ! ! ranting.gif ranting.gif
oh well, at least the chain was only 1/3 worn so the oil pump cover didn't need to be removed . . . whew yahoo.gif
all back together now, still a bit rattly rolleyes.gif
cheers
fung
cool.gif
I'd rather wear out than rust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users