44 replies to this topic

#41 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:29 pm

OK guys HOT NEWS!!! – I have fixed it!!!!!!!!! Solution = 1 x EBC HD Clutch Springs + 4L Halfords Finest 10 40 Semi Synth Lube + 1 X Sureflex Clutch Kit Including new steels! http://www.biketorqu...mahatdm900-0210 - Just completed the installation then took her out and PROPER ragged it – not a peep!! Not a cheap solution though, the Sureflex kit is about the £145 mark, but I guess it’s the high Kevlar content which sorts it out.  This worked for me – hope it works for you too…. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

Stronger clutch springs are the best fix to this issue - some french TDM owners also did that mod.

My 9er did that famous noise less than five times since 2002, it was only during winter with a cold engine - I use only 5W50 full synth oil. It didn't bother me more than that.

What Yamaha is saying to you with this "characteristic" noise may be that they look at it as a general mechanic noise that don't lead to any issue / failure. After all engines make noise, this is one of the characteristic of al internal combustion engines and nobody complains about that !

Funilly enough, my clutch always screamed untill I fitted the Remus cans, then it stopped for 12k miles. I've now gone back to standard silencers, and there it is again.....weird !

Are you trying to say that Remus cans are so loud you can't hear anything else ? :lol:

top_640.png

#42 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:20 am

I actually changed the springs separately to the Sureflex Clutch.  I changed the springs about 2 months ago, and while it did improve the situation it was not a 100% cure.  That is why I then went for the whole Kevlar clutch jobby this weekend which has sorted it 100%

#43 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:52 pm

Stronger clutch springs are the best fix to this issue - some french TDM owners also did that mod.

My 9er did that famous noise less than five times since 2002, it was only during winter with a cold engine - I use only 5W50 full synth oil. It didn't bother me more than that.

What Yamaha is saying to you with this "characteristic" noise may be that they look at it as a general mechanic noise that don't lead to any issue / failure. After all engines make noise, this is one of the characteristic of al internal combustion engines and nobody complains about that !

Are you trying to say that Remus cans are so loud you can't hear anything else ? :lol:

Pardon?
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#44 holler

holler

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:58 am

After 6 months of trying different things, finally I've won. I was trying everything, new clutch, new clutch cable, different springs etc... In my case - EBC heavy duty springs (they are a little bit longer than original ones) + oil 10w50 resolved the problem  - so far 1000 km with no problem. Before that, trying different mods helped maybe for 50 km. With them EBC springs clutch is working much better, much more precise - not nearly on/off style like before. By the way, sometimes I've had the same problem with my xj6 - particularly with full synth oil so it is a Yamaha thing i suppose... 

Edited by holler, 24 June 2020 - 11:01 am.

#45 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:19 am

Did you try earplugs? Oh, and welcome!

Edited by chrisr, 24 June 2020 - 11:19 am.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users