Photo
- - - - -

Tdm 900 - Oil Pressure : Methods, Ways, Solutions To Measure This Important Data

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 sayhello

sayhello

seems to like Carpe

• 47 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 November 2023 - 10:55 am

hi there - good day dear friends, 

i am a owner of a TDM 900 for four months now. - as this bike is pretty new to me - i have some questions:

one question regarding the oil-pressure: 

is it true that the TDM only has got a a oil-level-light - and no OIL-Pressure-Light?

note: see this thread- with the following statement: 

This bike havent oil pressure light Oil LEVEL only :(

see the following thread on reddit:  https://www.reddit.c...yamaha_tdm_900/

citation: 
Hello, i have question because i own yamaha tdm 900 and oil level warning Non stop is active. Bayonet show oil level is max. Any ideas Why this warning is on? Please help me

Not my area of expertise as a forewarning. With that out of the way, I suspect it's one of two things but have no way to differentiate. One that is the most likely is the oil pressure sensor has failed and is now showing a constant false positive even though there is still pressure. The second is that the oil pump has failed and you actually don't have oil pressure and should be very concerned. If you have kept riding the bike without it running hotter than normal I would look into the sensor first, and possibly replacing it. Tertiary, and a good place to just be sure. The bike is running with the light on correct? As some bikes will let it be on with the cluster prior to start.
As another note, if you haven't run the bike for a long period since, for fear of issues, do not attempt to run it. Just replace the sensor if possible or take it to a qualified mechanic to make sure there is actually oil flow for the safety of your engine.

But well Maybe it oil level sensor fuck up

end of citation: 

see also hee: INSTRUMENT AND CONTROL FUNCTIONS

well - what is the case here - 

look forward to hear from you

Edited by sayhello, 11 December 2023 - 09:42 am.

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 November 2023 - 12:52 pm

Correct, oil level warning and no oil pressure light.
Think I'd start with checking the level sensor. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 sayhello

sayhello

seems to like Carpe

• 47 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 01:24 pm

hi there - thx  for the reply. 

see the thread https://www.reddit.c...yamaha_tdm_900/

Hello, i have question because i own yamaha tdm 900 and oil level warning Non stop is active. Bayonet show oil level is max. Any ideas Why this warning is on? Please help me

Not my area of expertise as a forewarning. With that out of the way, I suspect it's one of two things but have no way to differentiate. One that is the most likely is the oil pressure sensor has failed and is now showing a constant false positive even though there is still pressure. The second is that the oil pump has failed and you actually don't have oil pressure and should be very concerned. If you have kept riding the bike without it running hotter than normal I would look into the sensor first, and possibly replacing it. Tertiary, and a good place to just be sure. The bike is running with the light on correct? As some bikes will let it be on with the cluster prior to start.
As another note, if you haven't run the bike for a long period since, for fear of issues, do not attempt to run it. Just replace the sensor if possible or take it to a qualified mechanic to make sure there is actually oil flow for the safety of your engine.

end of citation

well for me its pretty important  to have 

a. oil-pressure and 
b. oil-temp

i want to have those data ...  . so what about some efforts in sensors and measures - with ESP32 or Arduino ...

i will write more - soon

Edited by sayhello, 21 November 2023 - 10:52 pm.

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 November 2023 - 04:34 pm

Suggest you review and implement to achieve satisfaction

https://www.tdm-yama...rg/?page=OPS

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:51 pm

If you want to fit oil pressure switch to a 900 you have to make a 90° adapter and a custom banjo bolt as the oil
Tank is in the way.
I went to all this trouble years ago, only to find out later 900s dont use oil.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 November 2023 - 09:18 pm

If you want to fit oil pressure switch to a 900 you have to make a 90° adapter and a custom banjo bolt as the oil
Tank is in the way.
I went to all this trouble years ago, only to find out later 900s dont use oil.

my 850 uses oil and pressure switches  :lol:

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#7 sayhello

sayhello

seems to like Carpe

• 47 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 10:09 am

hello dear all first of all many many thanks for the infos you provide. This is awesome

i allready have read this page - which is truly a great source. 

here i have gotten the infos that you dear leehenty have created a OPS from "scratch" - well i would love to get more infos and insights. 

Tank is in the way. I went to all this trouble years ago, only to find out later 900s dont use oil.

note i want to get the data and want to put it into a ESP32 or Arduino in order to display the oil pressure on a oled. 

hello dear all first of all many many thanks for the infos you provide. This is awesome

i allready have read this page - which is truly a great source. 

here i have gotten the infos that you dear leehenty have created a OPS from "scratch" - well i would love to get more infos and insights. 

btw: 

. I went to all this trouble years ago, only to find out later 900s dont use oil.

no oil at all !? duhhh   - 

cant believe that!`?  guess that you mean here_ there is no consumption - or so!`?

plz clarify here.

update: what about this work  https://www.flickr.c.../in/dateposted/

found this link also on the page you mentioned :: https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=OPS

Edited by sayhello, 20 November 2023 - 11:52 am.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 02:07 pm

Ready made solutions are available

£15.78

https://www.ebay.co....:Bk9SR5jQ0ND9Yg

£20.03

https://www.ebay.co....:Bk9SR5rQ0ND9Yg

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 03:51 pm

My niner never needs a top up between services and I check the level regularly. With ceramic coatings on the bores niners dont use oil unless there is something wrong with it. 850s on the other hand, some do some dont

Edited by leehenty, 20 November 2023 - 03:56 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 sayhello

sayhello

seems to like Carpe

• 47 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 06:46 pm

oh thanks 

but imagine - the next few months we re  able to do more.  why not do some extra hacks with ESP 32 and Arduino. 

Ready made solutions are available

£15.78

https://www.ebay.co....:Bk9SR5jQ0ND9Yg

£20.03

https://www.ebay.co....:Bk9SR5rQ0ND9Yg

nice but awful ... very awful 

pretty awful solution    ;) compared with some sexy oled display where we can add a bunch of data

- water temp 

- oil temp 

- oil pressure ... some more bells & whistles ;)

lets hack this together. with some ideas that are kicked up and down the road.. 

leehenty and the other guys form over here  https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=OPSare  just waiting at the fences ;)

Edited by sayhello, 20 November 2023 - 06:57 pm.

#11 sayhello

sayhello

seems to like Carpe

• 47 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 06:53 pm

hi there. 

thx for the reply 

btw: We re interested in the pressure - not in the level 

My niner never needs a top up between services and I check the level regularly. With ceramic coatings on the bores niners dont use oil unless there is something wrong with it. 850s on the other hand, some do some dont

gardez 

and  see  also here:

see the thread https://www.reddit.c...yamaha_tdm_900/

This bike havent oil pressure light Oil LEVEL only  :(

so the pressure is much more interesting than the level 

Attached File  _tdm_ops_.jpg   20.02KB   0 downloads

btw- some more links to ESP 32 and Arduiono - combined with sexy sensors and more 

460 Seven Sensors tested: Measuring Current with Microcontrollers (Arduino, ESP32, ESP8266)

#321 7 Sensors tested: Measuring Current with Microcontrollers (Arduino, ESP32, ESP8266)

Edited by sayhello, 20 November 2023 - 07:02 pm.

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,361 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 November 2023 - 07:49 pm

When I had my fazer thou I fitted a multigauge made by one of the forum members in place of the fuel gauge, it had lots of options of what to display from the bikes wiring loom and multiple screens that could be cycled through, would need an extra sensor for oil pressure or temp though.
https://www.cartests...stallation.html
It also acted as a speedo healer and could be linked to a cheap GPS module so you could compare readings on the go, he even showed a point on the dash where 5v could be taken to power the gps module.
Worth a look for ideas.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#13 sayhello

sayhello

seems to like Carpe

• 47 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 10:12 pm

hi there dear Snowbird, :rolleyes:

many thanks for the reply and for sharing your ideas, experience with the fitting of a multigauge. Very interesting.  :good:

btw: @leehenty : the images you shared on photobucket -  see this page:  https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=OPS

all the links are broken - unfortunatly 

only the image of Alex (netherlands) is still visible: see here:  https://www.flickr.c...oij/5036560928/
note:  i d like to post this image here  but - i do not want infringe the legal notes over there at flickr. 

and yes:  Angelo  - from Italy  came up wiht a page with the ideas of a Oil-Pressure-Senosor 

note - also some parts of your work can be shown here. 

well - i guess that some of the TDMusers here would be interested in that solution you have found leehenty

look forward to a fruitful discussion here. :rolleyes:  

greetings say Hello  :)

Edited by sayhello, 21 November 2023 - 03:36 pm.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:54 pm

oh thanks 

but imagine - the next few months we re  able to do more.  why not do some extra hacks with ESP 32 and Arduino. 

nice but awful ... very awful 

pretty awful solution    ;) compared with some sexy oled display where we can add a bunch of data

- water temp 

- oil temp 

- oil pressure ... some more bells & whistles ;)

lets hack this together. with some ideas that are kicked up and down the road.. 

leehenty and the other guys form over here  https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=OPSare  just waiting at the fences ;)

Depending on your skills, you can read I think RPM, and water temperature from the digital K-Line serial line going between the dash and the ECU.

Speed data is available too but that's encoded in a peculiar way, good luck

I read it bit-banging in assembly on a Microchip PIC in the end, but got there using Pulseview to record the output from a Chinesium analyser, like this one https://learn.sparkf...k-pulseview/all.

Edited by fixitsan, 21 November 2023 - 06:03 pm.

#15 sayhello

sayhello

seems to like Carpe

• 47 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:45 pm

good day dear Fixitsan

thx for sharing your ideas. 

here some additional ideas of a Oil-Pressure-Sensor - from Angelo FARINA: 

Attached File  oil_press_sensor_1.png   121.77KB   0 downloads

Attached File  oil_press_sensor_2.png   131.8KB   0 downloads

images derived from the pdf  - wiht the consent of Angelo ...

note - also some parts of your work can be shown here.

#16 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,361 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 22 November 2023 - 08:08 am

That is a pressure switch only shown not pressure measurement, you'd need to change for a different sensor, an adaptor to 1/8"NPT would give greater choice of sensors in both EU or USA automotive resistance range or custom industrial sensor which would likely need software calibration with a known pressure source.

A straight oil pressure warning light would do me, does the 900 engine warning light not incorporate low oil pressure?

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#17 sayhello

sayhello

seems to like Carpe

• 47 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:28 am

hi there dear Snowbird 

many thanks for the reply - happy to hear from you

That is a pressure switch only shown not pressure measurement, you'd need to change for a different sensor, an adaptor to 1/8"NPT would give greater choice of sensors in both EU or USA automotive resistance range or custom industrial sensor which would likely need software calibration with a known pressure source.

A straight oil pressure warning light would do me, does the 900 engine warning light not incorporate low oil pressure?

this sensor was brought to the TDM ( or  the XTZ750 ) by Gabibbo -  and  yes: youre right - at the moment it does not what is wanted. 

youre right - we need to swith to another. 

this is only a very first step i would say - an approach ... futher investigations need to follow. 

here some ideas are discussed:  https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=OPS

btw:Leehenty - and his ideas - perhaps we can benefit form a ongoing  discussion .- 

i will do some furhter readings - eg. here https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=OPS

Thanks to you dear Snowbird - for the participation in this thread - i look forward to a fruitful discussion 

have a great day 

regards 

update;

Industrial Pressure Sensor - Arduino

The Arduino microcontroller controls an electronic circuit that can sense the environment using a sensor (electronic components that convert real-world measurements into electrical signals). The device processes the information from the sensors with the behavior described in the sketch. The device will then be able to interact with the world by using actuators and electronic components that can convert an electric signal into physical action.

HVAC Pressure Transducer Operation and Testing!

In This HVAC Training Video, I Show how a Pressure Transducer Works, Common Voltages and Pressures, Troubleshooting, and Calibration Testing! Pressure Transducers are Common in Larger VRF and Some Mini VRF Systems! Supervision is needed by a licensed HVACR Tech while performing tasks as Experience and Apprenticeship garners Wisdom and Safety.

Oil pressure yamaha trx

Yamaha TDM 850 1997 Oil Pressure switch
The result of the work of the master electrician and mine, we added a sensor to my machine, which allows me to find out whether there is oil pressure or not

Edited by sayhello, 22 November 2023 - 11:14 pm.

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 23 November 2023 - 08:53 am

+1.

Start the bike, and if the red oil warning goes out nice and fast, and doesn't come on at idle, you may assume you have enough oil pressure !

Edited by fixitsan, 23 November 2023 - 08:54 am.

#19 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 24 November 2023 - 10:35 am

The method for a straight oil pressure switch on the 850 doesnt work on the 900 due to the oil tank being separated from the engine. There is no room so you have to make a brass 90° banjo adapter

#20 sayhello

sayhello

seems to like Carpe

• 47 posts

Posted 24 November 2023 - 03:26 pm

hi there _ many thanks dear Leehenty 

thank you for the reply - so we can  say that the work of Akooij does not fit on the TDM 900 

see  http://www.flickr.com/photos/akooij/5036560928/

http://www.flickr.co...oij/5036560928/

Well - according to your description dear leehenty - we have to find another way and yes -  have to make a brass 90° banjo adapter

as allready discussed here 
https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=OPS

Edited by sayhello, 24 November 2023 - 03:27 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users