• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pipapakigrafo

pipapakigrafo

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:02 pm

I found out some days ago a broken rusty spring with a rubber part inside lying on the RHS of the engine, by chance going through TDM parts on ebay I noticed the injection ramp had a spring on a sort of dedicated ramp.

Further investigation on the parts catalogue, I identified the spring has the one that should be setting the fast Idle to the cold position. After ordering the spring from YAMAHA I dedicated some days looking at all the issues regarding the fast idle in this forum and now on JBX "revived" page.

I managed to move the ramp after wd40 and some gentle hammering, bu it seems the plunger is stuck on "cold" even if the ramp was stuck on "hot" position. Since I have no spring I will wait for it to arrive before going into surgery. I imagine the previous owner mechanic screwed the ramp in hot position so it could start, I imagine the fast idle screw in not set and after freeing the plunger I will have to tune everything up. I'm hooping for a simple fix after going in, I hope not having to dismantle coolant hoses and managing to get access to all screws even if it takes all day long. I prefer slow and steady to fast and regretful. I already noticed she was kinda lazy on startup getting to proper idle, she starts at 1000 rpm then slowly gets to 1400 rpm normal idle, it was 1500 I brought it down a notch.

Flapper mod done, CO 1/50 and 2/45 no more judgering at low rpm, but I'm keen on trying a mod we did on the VFR called pair mod, just stick a marble on the pair tube from the airbox, no more "fresh" air injected into the pair valve, no more popping and messed up readings in the exhaust. Since I have none of this by just removing the flapper and increasing CO I might forget this for now. 

After realising that in fact I had no fast idle I was happy I live in a relatively warm country and she managed to start "alone". But has they say Winter is coming and I have to sort this before, any advice before scrubbing in?

I'm mechanically gifted and this being my 23 bike, I already did the spark plugs (a pita in this bike), covered the coils and leads because on a rainy day she started misfiring, again JBX site and forum saved the day! I also have put new Motul 7100, filters etc Waiting for YAMAHA to deliver front suspension parts to renew forks and change the oil.

I love this bike and just want her to be at her best, it's clear for that previous owner was not paying attention and was clearly mechanically challenged to say the least... Just imagining my CBF 1000 on is rough hands gives me the creeps!

Sorry for the long speech...

When asked to move a mountain do not look at the size of the mountain, just go and move the first stone!

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:15 am

My 900 had the same problem when i collected it. Previous owner had just lived with it like that, i rarely spent much  on idle anyway :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:03 am

When I bought my present bike it had this problem, the previous owner(s) had tried various ways of getting round it, altering the co settings on the dash, increasing the idle by way of the knob under the rhs fairing and also screwing the screw on the csm as far in as possible, so once you strip out and clean the csm you may have to start from scratch with the tickover. Mine was also improved with a throttle body balance. Good luck.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users