• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 michaeldouglas72

michaeldouglas72

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:06 pm

6.30am and woke up to stunning sunshine blazing through the window. Wifie was asleep, both boys still snoozing soundly, left a note saying I was off on my bike...

I left Crieff and headed west to Lochearnhead, no cars, no bikes, dry roads and the olde TDM working perfectly! Up to Crainlarich and left to Tarbert, it's been 5 or 6 years since I rode this route and it is a stunner! Inverary, Lochilphead then Oban. Two notable big sweeping left handers joined together with flick flack corners and stunning scenery. 120 miles so far and smiles all round, no chicken strips on the back tyre and it didn't even feel like I was riding fast, just the right roads in great condition.

Oban was bathed in sunshine, cooked breakfast by the quayside watching the boats and the natives go about their business. Oban to Tyndrum starts off a bit dull but then the road of all roads appears with open corners stretching for miles. Swooping and diving into corners like a Star Wars Speeder Bike, the auld TDM might be 20 years ancient but was as much fun to ride as any bike I have owned.

By Tyndrum the holiday traffic was in full swing but still a great run home to Crieff. I am no Valentino so settled in with the pace of traffic unlike some of the bikers who were out that day: what a speed they were travelling at, overtaking across junctions, overtaking two abreast, follow the leader manoeuvres that made me wince. Maybe TDM's should be made mandatory for all bikers to try and make them relax a bit!

Next opportunity, I'm going Crieff, Oban, Granton-on-Spey, Ballater, Aberfeldy, Crieff!

#2 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:24 pm

That sounds like a lovely day out.

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:08 pm

Sounds like the perfect ride to me.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:20 pm

:groucho:

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:03 am

I agree, sounds like you had a good day out. :)

Pity there's no pics though. :(

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,252 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:05 am

I like the Oban - Tyndrum road gets even better after Dalmally :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#7 Nanook

Nanook

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:18 am

Next opportunity, I'm going Crieff, Oban, Granton-on-Spey, Ballater, Aberfeldy, Crieff!

Give me a shout if you want company as I'm only 15 minutes away from Grantown.

Beware the whitevanman!

#8 michaeldouglas72

michaeldouglas72

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:02 am

Will do, not sure when I'll get to manage it, need cleared for take-off by the enjoyment police but I'm sure it'll be in the next couple of weeks. Plan was to stay in Granton. Have you got any inside knowledge on a good hostelry? Looking central so we can go to Craig's Bar, the pie's got me!

#9 sadlad15

sadlad15

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:56 pm

i badly want to ride the oban run im coming from near manchester and will be getting a bnb for a night or 2 so any recommendations welcome cheers

#10 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:04 pm

Love just riding along taking in the views, sun, wind in your face, nice and on a TDM :)

Edited by arthurbikemad, 24 July 2014 - 08:05 pm.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users