#1 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:16 pm

After a call from Patrick (Bigboat) a quick plan was made and we had a mini tour of Ireland sorted. Hopefully this may become an RTT in furture but we will wait and see.

So...............

Day 1

Nuneaton to Stranraer. Some cracking roads once I got off the M6. A75 is a nice road but turned off this onto the A712 and onto the A713. Absolutely brilliant pair of roads. Great run through the Galloway forest. Didn't stop for many pics today. I was enjoying my first proper trip out on the GS.
20140619_1407521_zpsbd2b747b.jpg

Day 2....Belfast to Galway

After landing in Belfast we headed South towards Dublin on the M1 and pulled in to a garage to fuel. As we did we were followed in by the local Garda on an RT. Some questions about where we were going and were we'd come from. Then asked how many Euros we had. Why asked I? How much is it going to cost? He laughed and said if were heading to Galway on the N1 it was now a toll road and there were better and more interesting ways. He gave us a few road ideas and we punched them into the SatNav. The Garda said he'd leave first and that way he couldn't see what we did after that. Shook hands and off he went. Some cracking roads across Ireland and into Galway but my phone was flat so no pics until the evening. Sorry!! But Galway for nights out is awesome!
Of course drank some....
20140620_182418_zpsb73bef8e.jpg

Galway High Street. All pedestrianised and very lively. Can recommend the Spanish Arch for eating and a great band.
20140620_194513_zpse8ccb599.jpg

Day 3 was a brilliant run up to Portrush via Westport, Sligo and onto Derry to visit mates parents and then Portrush. That N15 is the maddest road I've ever travelled. It has almost every riding road along it's length you can imagine. Quite surreal. Again forgot to take pictures but trust me it was good. Did manage a couple at Protrush though.
Stayed at the Prospect on Lansdowne Crescent. Nice and clean and brilliant breakfast. Was hell of a climb to the 4th floor were I was! But the view from the hotel was nice!
20140622_082927_zps20bf8cdd.jpg
Had a couple of Guinness in The Quays (good pub) then walked down towards The Harbour via the chippie
20140621_222625_zps93329f4b.jpg
20140621_222629_zpsfa2c7096.jpg

Something tastes so right with fish and chips sat next to the sea!
20140621_222637_zpsbf5b06f0.jpg

Finished the night in The Harbour Bar. Brilliant Pub and a good craic!!

Day 4.... Inis Eoghain 100
This is a brilliant 100 mile run around a penninsular. http://www.navigatou.../Inishowen.html From nice sweepers to bits of dirt track with grass up the middle. It has it all! Luckily I DID remember to take pictures today.
20140622_144807_zps6d5fe547.jpg

20140622_144812_zpsed403eec.jpg

20140622_144817_zps0f8b8ec0.jpg

The road down was fun to say the least!
20140622_144842_zps8229b6ac.jpg

Bike performed faultlessly
20140622_144921_zps7ae4332b.jpg

20140622_154946_zps6604acda.jpg

20140622_155013_zps3d8d8007.jpg

Followed by another night in the Harbour Bar and tried their Bistro with woodburning grill. The steak I had was amazing. And the entertainment was great. The guy had the place rocking and we left about midnight and it was still going!

Day 5 was a coast run down to Belfast via Bushmills and Ballycastle. Another lovely road. But pushed for time for taking pics. Really REALLY wish I'd packed the GoPro. But hey ho!!

Will definitely be going back. I have NO doubts about that. The country is great and the locals very welcoming!

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:49 am

Excellent stuff. :good:  Should get over there myself one day. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• 1,246 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:05 am

Glad you had a great trip Matt and Patrick.

Pity I away on my travels and we didn't get to meet,

We had an RTT here in 2012, the guys at the RTT this year did talk about maybe another joint RTT between Northern and Southern Ireland.
2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#4 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:33 am

matt have you not sorted out on bike phone charging ? looks a great ride btw.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#5 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:06 am

I had sorted in house charging but left the charger in the first hotel! Took us 4 garages to find an on bike charger. But it is sooooo slow at charging the phone it's unreal. Must get a decent one.

Edited by Matt101, 25 June 2014 - 08:07 am.

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:22 am

the cheap ones are 500mA max. Put post it note on hotel door and on bike clocks "PHONE CHARGER !"

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:22 am

Sounds like a great trip boys, Ireland is great for bikes, apart from the feckin' weather. When the sun shines, there's few better places to ride a bike. That coast road up to the Giant's Causway is one of the best roads I've ever ridden

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users