14 replies to this topic

#1 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:41 pm

After twoTDM900s and an MT-09 Tracer I took delivery of a new Tracer 700 in May and have covered just under 2,000 miles on it since then. On the whole it's been a positive experience and a bike much closer in character to a TDM than the MT-09 and that's not just because it's got the same number of cylinders. For a 700 it has a huge spread of torque and is particularly strong in the mid-range where most of my riding is done. It handles well enough, sips fuel, stops, starts and can be easily wheeled around as it's quite light which, at my age, is increasingly important. Where it scores over the TDM900 is in the headlight department (well so would a 6v Bantam for that matter) not LEDs but conventional bulbs with a much better spread of light, the gearchange is slick and the fuel consumption is ridiculously low. The only downside I've found is that I have to bend my legs more and the seat could be a bit softer and roomier for a 6 footer. The screen is adjustable for height and I usually settle for the lowest setting, but in a recent 150 mile motorway blast I found the airblast on my shoulders was very tiring after a while so raised the screen which just buffeted the top of my helmet a bit and I could add 10 mph to my cruising speed.

It's certainly not a TDM, nothing else is, but they don't make them any more and the Tracer 700 seems at the moment to be a worthy successor. By the way, the MT-09 Tracer was a great bike but shared almost zero DNA with the TDM and had more in common with the new breed of hyper-adventure bikes. I liked it a lot but not as much as my new 700.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the Tracer 700?

Attached Files

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#2 tracker

tracker

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:04 pm

Hi, I also had two 900's great bikes, As I got older  I was finding the TDM to heavy for me, so I had a test ride on the Tracer 700 and really liked it, so deal done and I've had it for two years now. I have a few niggles, I don't like the rear hugger, it just don't do its job. I wish Yamaha would have fitted proper handguards instead of those wind deflectors.Also better suspension would be good.

But on the whole a good allrounder. The mpg is very good.

#3 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:32 pm

Anyone else got any thoughts on the Tracer 700?
[/quote]

I road tested the 900 GT twice and the 700 once. As a replacement for a 4TX the 700 is the one with the correct DNA as you say but it's too lacking in kit. If they built a GT version of the 700 (cruise control,centre stand,traction control,ride modes,heated grips,colour tft dash,proper handguards,factory luggage) I'd have one in the garage by now........I'll definitely be keeping my 2 x 4TX but having tried the various options I think I'm going to go for a Tiger 800 XRT...great bike the 700 but the TDM has still not been bettered.....imo ;)

Edited by Apache, 29 September 2018 - 07:34 pm.

#4 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:04 pm

The Tracer 700 appealed more to me than the Tracer 900, both decent bikes, but as you say, the 700 just felt familiar and suited me better. I just like torquey twins. 

Well the Tenere 700 World Raid will be here early next year I reckon, so maybe that will fill in the missing pieces and add a few more. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#5 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:24 pm

ffs muddy ,what's a tenere 700. Should I be checking it out as a Tiger alternative ?

Forget that.....too off roady ..

Edited by Apache, 29 September 2018 - 08:26 pm.

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:31 pm

that's where the add a few more comes in. You know you've always wanted to add a few more don't you?

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#7 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:52 pm

The Tracer 700 appealed more to me than the Tracer 900, both decent bikes, but as you say, the 700 just felt familiar and suited me better. I just like torquey twins. 

Well the Tenere 700 World Raid will be here early next year I reckon, so maybe that will fill in the missing pieces and add a few more. 

That's the beastie I'm waiting for. I spend more time on gravel than tar seal nowadays so it makes sense.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:47 am

yep i get the impression the Tracer 700 is the one to have,  i'm basing my opinion on time served TDM pilots who are happier on the 700 twin versus the 900 triple. Really sounds as though Yamaha have got this one roight first time round.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,179 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 September 2018 - 02:32 pm

There is a Tracer 700 GT for 2019, don't know what the spec is though :sorry:

#10 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:06 pm

There is a Tracer 700 GT for 2019, don't know what the spec is though :sorry:

Italy already have it Ramo....unfortunately it doesn't match up to the 900....just factory luggage and a centre stand. Might be enough for most though..

#11 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,514 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:13 pm

FWIW, I have read of the Tenere coming in two versions - one more for the road....

The 700 is much about the superb engine -Tracer or MT. Has the feel of the TDM but relatively (weightwise) more torque.
Three years after purchase, it's still the bike for me. Such fun!
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#12 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:15 pm

Italy already have it Ramo....unfortunately it doesn't match up to the 900....just factory luggage and a centre stand. Might be enough for most though..

I managed to get mine in a promotion in May which included hard luggage, power socket and tank bag at no extra cost, so a "no brainer" really.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#13 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:36 am

FWIW, I have read of the Tenere coming in two versions - one more for the road....

The 700 is much about the superb engine -Tracer or MT. Has the feel of the TDM but relatively (weightwise) more torque.
Three years after purchase, it's still the bike for me. Such fun!

And where did you glean that pearl of info?

I'm eagerly watching the ADV Rider thread on the bike and have put this idea forward a few times. Makes sense, XT, TT. Spy shots seem to show two different incarnations of the bike, the world raid prototype and a humbler street model. If Yamaha do not produce a world raid, full bore, ADV bike they will be a laughing stock. My hope is for a couriers favorite and a desert basher.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#14 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:11 am

There are two versions. A fully blown off road one they called T7 and a road one, the Tenere. There are loads of clips on YouTube. Not been hearing much of the T7 lately although it was introduced before the Ten. Might just be another marketing tool. The bike exists though and goes like the clappers.

Rob

#15 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:00 am

The only bike Yamaha are promoting with the CP2 engine is the Tenere World Raid, as far as I've seen. I'd be very surprised if they bring out a street version when they've already got the Tracer. With the new Africa twin out and the KTM 790 Adventure twin that's being introduced, I think that the competition Yamaha are aiming to nick sales from. 

Edited by muddy, 01 October 2018 - 09:05 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users