8 replies to this topic

#1 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:23 pm

My 1997 Ducati 900SS wouldn't start in January. Not exactly astonishing news I hear you say. However, after much testing and cleaning and recharging of a new battery, I came to the conclusion that the starter motor was on the way out. I worked out that with labour and purchase of a new starter I was going to be shelling out around £500 to get the problem sorted. In a last ditch attempt to protect the QM wallet I invested £3.90 in some Holts Cold Start and gave it a shot in the airbox more in hope than expectation. In fact the wanton Italian temptress fired up instantly and settled into a steady tickover. Once warmed it started every time without the Holts and has thus saved me around £496! I was so pleased I videoed it rattling away on the drive (the dry clutch noise is ) and played it back several times during the day to prove I hadn't been dreaming dreaming. 

So Holts Cold Start - Good stuff! Recommended.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,089 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:44 pm

Engines tend to develop an appetite for the stuff.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:58 pm

Engines tend to develop an appetite for the stuff.

So I've heard, but at least it got the thing running and I've not need to use it since. I wonder if one of the starter brushes was stuck?

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:35 pm

I used to use it on the diesel when I changed the fuel filter.

rattles like hell but gets the pump going and prime the fuel rails

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:44 pm

many years ago we used to have some of the diesels in the delivery fleet that would not start without it after becoming addicted - but had to like QM above to use it to sart the TDM after a long lay off and work on carbs and timing

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#6 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:48 pm

Edited by Oafski, 29 November 2019 - 06:50 pm.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,089 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:08 pm

:rotflmmfao: :rotflmmfao:

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:48 am

Use brake cleaner now on the modern diesel, proper stuff seems too harsh and stops the starter dead.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,089 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:40 pm

I have heard of ether in modern diesels going bang too much and bending conrod eyes and such. Modern DI diesels don't have precombustion chambers now so nowere for it to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users