21 replies to this topic

#1 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:23 pm

Im changing my rear tyre soon a) cause the Avon Storm is nearly worn out after only 6K mad.gif compared with the Azaro 8-9K :)which was just as good or better than the Storm so why change it. b) iv had 2 punctures in the last week. mad.gif
So is there any other tyres that will fit that are not Z rated cause i dont really go that fast to need them on the bike.

Edited by aytcat1, 20 December 2008 - 06:25 pm.

#2 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:35 pm

QUOTE(aytcat1 @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im changing my rear tyre soon a) cause the Avon Storm is nearly worn out after only 6K mad.gif compared with the Azaro 8-9K :)which was just as good or better than the Storm so why change it. b) iv had 2 punctures in the last week. mad.gif
So is there any other tyres that will fit that are not Z rated cause i dont really go that fast to need them on the bike.

Most radial tyres are Z rated if you were wanting a non ZR rated tyre I'd say the Bridgestone BT45 is good but you will have to change the pair as you can not have a cross ply rear & a radial front.
TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#3 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:39 pm

Bridgestone BT45's

Fantastic tyre, my old VFR750 luved 'em & iirc GG likes e'm and runs them on his TDM too
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#4 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:09 pm

Ahem..

http://www.carpe-tdm...mp;#entry106452

#5 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:49 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aye Captain, Michelin RP2's are the mutts nutz, but about £60 more expensive a pair than the BT45's iirc,
so if you on a budget BT45's "to me it makes good good sense"

(5 bonus points if you can identify the lyric badgrock.gif )

Edited by jht, 20 December 2008 - 07:49 pm.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#6 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:44 pm

thanks i'll check out the B45's.What pi***s me off is since i had bikes with Z rated tyres from 2003 iv near enough had 1 or 2 punctures a year but before that with the XT 600 tenere for 7 years and various off road bikes i never had a single puncture since 1990circa and that was on Sailsbury plain and fixed it myself smile.gif

#7 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:43 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aye Captain, Michelin RP2's are the mutts nutz, but about £60 more expensive a pair than the BT45's iirc,
so if you on a budget BT45's "to me it makes good good sense"

(5 bonus points if you can identify the lyric badgrock.gif )

AC/DC - Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.

tongue.gif

top_640.png

#8 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:10 pm

QUOTE(JBX @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AC/DC - Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.

tongue.gif

iwin.gif JBX wins iwin.gif

yeahbaby.gif

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:41 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bridgestone BT45's
Fantastic tyre, my old VFR750 luved 'em & iirc GG likes e'm and runs them on his TDM too

i shud go back to these babies too as i really loiked em.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:12 am

Quite a few people have rated the Conti Road Attack as well, not tried them myself but they're a chunk cheaper than the PR2

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:33 am

If you go for BT45's, get a 140/70 for the rearThe std size 150/70 BT45 seems to be a bit too wide, and gets pulled round too much, resulting in chicken strips unless you're really going for it.For some strange reason, a BT020, or 021 in 150 width is a perfect profile.

QUOTE(aytcat1 @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks i'll check out the B45's.What pi***s me off is since i had bikes with Z rated tyres from 2003 iv near enough had 1 or 2 punctures a year but before that with the XT 600 tenere for 7 years and various off road bikes i never had a single puncture since 1990circa and that was on Sailsbury plain and fixed it myself smile.gif

filtering up to junctions is more often than not what gives you punctures.

All the crap in the road gets swept into these areas including screws, nails etc
I had a spate of punctures, but then I stopped filtering when approaching junctions and I haven't had one since

I've also had Z-rated radials repaired with a mushroom plug with no issues
I know there is alot talk about not having Z-Rated radials repaired, and some tyre manufacturers say Z-Rated can't be repaired due to the damage to the carcass of the tyre which could cause a the tyre to fail at high speed, but TDM's only do 130mph flat out anyway, not 180mph of a R1 or GSXR1K.
I'd have no issue with getting another Z-Rated radial repaired, rather than scrap it - but then again I'm tight

Edited by GuyGraham, 21 December 2008 - 11:38 am.

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:08 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Sun 21st Dec 2008, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd have no issue with getting another Z-Rated radial repaired, rather than scrap it - but then again I'm tight

We noticed on one of Amarko's Oirish punctures that they had patterned the carcass of the tyre to make it difficult to get a repair to hold! unsure.gif Can't remember what brand tyre that was.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#13 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:22 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 21st Dec 2008, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We noticed on one of Amarko's Oirish punctures that they had patterned the carcass of the tyre to make it difficult to get a repair to hold! unsure.gif Can't remember what brand tyre that was.

iasked my tyre fitter boutthat and he siad they all liek it guv
its molding marks, he uses a hand dremel type tool to flattern it down

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#14 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:52 pm

You can't ignore the tyre-rating just because you never intend to go that fast. BT45 should be fine though (was once a recommended choice for the 850 but curiously vanished from that list?). Not sure why though? They are not exactly cheap (more expensive than a pair of Storms at the place where I usually go) and esp wet & cold grip has massively improved since the 45 were designed, back in the ol' days.

My Storm rear lasted 7k which is about the same as I did on the Azaro but the Storm has worn a lot more evenly. It's been an absolute stunner in the wet and cold over the last few weeks, you can nearly corner and brake as if it were dry. Going to get me another pair of Storms after Christmas, costing around £155 including fitting on wheels, nearly 50 quid less than Michelins or Metzelers laugh.gif
That was not a banana, Dougal

#15 wolfrunner

wolfrunner

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:01 am

i use mitchilin road pilot 2 on my tdm and also my Ninja, so far i have 7k on the TDM and i still have loads of wear left on them. i only use it on the road so do not know what they are like in other conditions sad.gif. But i am a 12 month a year rider and these i trust in all weathers smile.gif.

Just my 2 cents to help with an all round picture, in the end you pays the money so yours is final and only decision that count smile.gif .

#16 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:32 pm

QUOTE(robelst @ Sun 21st Dec 2008, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't ignore the tyre-rating just because you never intend to go that fast. BT45 should be fine though (was once a recommended choice for the 850 but curiously vanished from that list?). Not sure why though? They are not exactly cheap (more expensive than a pair of Storms at the place where I usually go) and esp wet & cold grip has massively improved since the 45 were designed, back in the ol' days.

My Storm rear lasted 7k which is about the same as I did on the Azaro but the Storm has worn a lot more evenly. It's been an absolute stunner in the wet and cold over the last few weeks, you can nearly corner and brake as if it were dry. Going to get me another pair of Storms after Christmas, costing around £155 including fitting on wheels, nearly 50 quid less than Michelins or Metzelers laugh.gif

Tyres must be rated for the max speed of the vehicle irrespective of whter you go that fast or not

If your paying £155 (or there abouts) for BT45's then I'd go else where, as thats a bit pricey

#17 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:18 pm

Just stuck another Conti Road Attack on the rear. 5500 out of the last (4000-4500 from Z6) and this included touring in Switzerland where there were lotsa bends and miles of straight bits to get there, on a fully loaded bike (well, no pillion this time to be fair)

#18 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:37 pm

I had to buy two back Storm tyres last year both killed off by picking up nails, with tons of meat left on them.

Wonder if there is a design fault there,

any one else pick up some extra weight with the Avon Stoms ?

This time I went for the Pilot Road 2's.

That's my "two-peneth worth".

Cheers, Ivan
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#19 mecrox

mecrox

really likes Carpe

• 99 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:37 pm

I got a pair of BT 021s about a month ago, from Onyerbike. I talked to them about it, and for my bike they said they thought the BT 021s were a better bet than the Michelin Road Pilot 2s (though they thought these were excellent tires). FWIW, etc. I'm certainly enjoying the 021s more than the 020s which I had on before.

#20 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:13 pm

Ffs all these choices why cant there just be a choice of 2 tyres eg Speedmater or Avonroadrunners like the old days lol
In my 2000 owners manual it says BT 54 (is that a bomber) smile.gif Dont think they were radial tyres and if so dont think they were Z rated so why do the tyre makers list a Z rated tyre for the TDM now! surly a new BT45 or 54 would be a better tyre now cause of technology after even 8 years though its the same, called eg BT45.
I dont have to do any filtering of traffic where i live least not to work, but know what you mean about nails/screws etc on the road wondering if iv got the punctures from the Skips that were on the roadside and there out of the wood that gets just thrown into them and the builders dont clear up around them when there taken away.

Edited by aytcat1, 22 December 2008 - 05:13 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users