8 replies to this topic

#1 TDMBob

TDMBob

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:11 am

Is it just me or does the 900 sit too upright on the side stand sometimes have to wheel it about untill I find ground on a slope otherwise it would go over has anyone filled a bit off the stand to sort this or have I got a Friday night stand on mine?

#2 Guest_PaulS_*

Guest_PaulS_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:38 am

QUOTE(TDMBob @ Fri 31st Mar 2006, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it just me or does the 900 sit too upright on the side stand sometimes have to wheel it about untill I find ground on a slope otherwise it would go over has anyone filled a bit off the stand to sort this or have I got a Friday night stand on mine?

I had similar problems last year and eventually the bike fell over in a car park blink.gif . That and having had a couple of ERR code=19 (side stand) starting problems in heavy rain prompted me to take the stand off and investigate (!). It was packed with greasy muck that was preventing it going fully forward. It is fine now. Perhaps yours has similar?

#3 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:28 am

My mkII does same because is always so overloaded. A shot shock does not help.

#4 GrahamI

GrahamI

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:26 pm

QUOTE(TDMBob @ Fri 31st Mar 2006, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought this when I first got my 900, it seems to stand more upright than my ickle 125 did - soon got used to it though, but sometimes move it around to find a position where it leans a bit more

Graham

Blue 2003 900 on 04 plate, Kappa Wingrack and side cases, Givi Maxia top box, Renthal 755 bars, Oxford heated grips, KTM handguards, centre stand, fender extender, Scottoiler Touring, 12volt socket

#5 Guest_Neil_*

Guest_Neil_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:28 pm

I'm always cleaning the crud from mine because otherwise the engine don't start! Never noticed it being too upright though. It normally sinks into where ever I park it anyway on that piddly little foot.

#6 Saxo

Saxo

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:12 pm

Yeh, I've had my 900 blown over while parked on the sidestand on a fairly windy day (but I'm not talking gale-force, just windier than normal). I'm now VERY fussy how I park!!!

Seeya

David

#7 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:43 pm

Two things to do when parking the bike :
1 - turn & lock the bar on the LEFT side.
2 - engage first gear to block the rear wheel.

and you'll stay away from troubles ! tongue.gif

top_640.png

#8 GrahamI

GrahamI

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:08 am

QUOTE(JBX @ Sat 1st Apr 2006, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two things to do when parking the bike :
1 - turn & lock the bar on the LEFT side.
2 - engage first gear to block the rear wheel.

and you'll stay away from troubles ! tongue.gif

I always lock the steering, never heard of leaving it in gear though, how does that help?

I got confused enough the other day when I stopped for fuel, jumped back on the bike, started it, but it in first and it cut out, then wouldnt start....confused, noticed I was still in 1st so back to neutral, started, in to 1st, cut out....was starting to panic THEN checked the side stand - well you live and learn.... sad.gif blink.gif wacko.gif

Graham

Blue 2003 900 on 04 plate, Kappa Wingrack and side cases, Givi Maxia top box, Renthal 755 bars, Oxford heated grips, KTM handguards, centre stand, fender extender, Scottoiler Touring, 12volt socket

#9 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:13 am

I always leave it in first gear to stop it rolling, or to stop some idiot knocking it off the stand dry.gif

I always put the disk lock right up against the brake calliper, so if I forget about I wont build up a bit of speed and fall over when it stops dead. unsure.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users