k2col

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:24 pm

Hey chaps,

My lovely old TDM, comfortable mile muncher that it is, doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence on the bends and I'm wondering if I'm alone in thinking this, whether I can do anything to tune her up, or whether its just a change in riding style that I need to adopt.

On my previous bikes (bandit and divvy 600) it was easy to get my 6ft6 frame forwards, shift me arse off the seat and although I never got my knee down, never slid the tyres, I felt a good deal of confidence carrying speed into and out of corners.

On the TDM I feel like I can't get over the front enough and I fear losing the front wheel... although I've never pushed hard enough to test if this theory is valid.

I guess it doesn't help that the last and only time I've ever lost front wheel traction it resulted in the bike sliding along the tarmac, hitting a kerb, high siding and throwing me off. That was the last time I rode my bandit! Luckily I escaped entirely unharmed, albiet with a new respect for cold tyres and slippery road surfaces.

Anyway I digress, so how can I shift the balance of the bike forwards? It feels like if the arse sat a bit higher and the forks sat a bit lower that would help a lot. or am I trying to change the TDM into something its not?

Any thoughts please?

Cheers,
Colin.

PS Thanks to the chap who stuck a Carpe-TDM post-it note on my TDM yesterday at IBM Hursley :-)

#2 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:36 pm

hiya and welcome.
i found the rear of the bike felt like it was wallowing or squirming a bit, but this has been totally cured by an Ohlins rear shock.
its at mid ride height and max of everything else and seems to be doing the job. cool.gif

mines a mk1(1991) and i'm assuming yours is a mk2(as its a 96) but i dont believe there were any major differences
i'm sure one the gods of suspension (maybe AE, dont let him know i said that) will be along shortly good.gif

IBM Hursley? K2 developer? DB2?

i must get some of them there carpe calling cards.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#3 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:58 pm

On my used model 2001 TDM850 the forks have been dropped about 2 cm (almost 1 inch). I understand this is not standard. The bike handles well, good balance, a little bit soft when compared to my Buell so could do with a bit more preload (enough room left for that, just haven't come round doing it) but stills inspires to greedy cornering; just wished the brakes were more aggressive to match al this, but that's a different topic. wink.gif
The bike's also still stable enough despite this mod; I suffered quite a few wind-blasts over the last week but bike always gives good confidence and control.

Unfortunately, I cannot compare it to a standard setup because I have never ridden my TDM like that, but there doesn't seem to be any harm in trying it out. cool.gif

Edited by robelst, 30 November 2006 - 03:03 pm.

That was not a banana, Dougal

#4 cyco900

cyco900

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:43 pm

smile.gif I've had 2 teedeez an 850 mk1 and now got 900. The mk1 would hassle along nicely even out cornered some muppets on sport bikes (undertaking them..hehehe) never did get any slides off that one. The 900 tho.. is totaly different it will break the front end all the time so I'm going the 17" front wheel route and stiffening up the suspenders a tad. The mk1 loved macadams (tyres) but the 900 seems to like 020's when the new front is sorted I'll be using Road Attacks. good.gif
Boring Old Fartz mcc / Diflas Hen Rhech - the PARTY club
[b]Now 03 TDM900 and Honda 450 Cafe Racer - previous bikes:- 97 virago535 -Triumph Trophy900- TDM850Mk1- Honda VF750F- Honda CB350K4- Honda CB650F chop- Suzuki 100- Honda CB900F x2 -Honda CB250 Dream -Kawasaki K400 -Honda CB650F Chop- Honda CB750K2- Kawasaki Z1000- HD Sportster1000- Triumph 500t- Honda 400/4- TriBsa 650- BSA C15- Triumph Speedtwin combo -BSA B33 chop- BSA A65 -BSA A10 chop- Ariel Golden Arrow- BSA Bantam- Francis Barnet- NSU Quickly. think thats the lot?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
bunny hoppin

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons & Discount Shopping

#5 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:39 pm

QUOTE(cyco900 @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile.gif I've had 2 teedeez an 850 mk1 and now got 900. The mk1 would hassle along nicely even out cornered some muppets on sport bikes (undertaking them..hehehe) never did get any slides off that one. The 900 tho.. is totaly different it will break the front end all the time so I'm going the 17" front wheel route and stiffening up the suspenders a tad. The mk1 loved macadams (tyres) but the 900 seems to like 020's when the new front is sorted I'll be using Road Attacks. good.gif

i use Metzler Z6s and find them very confidence inspiring. wink.gif
also upgraded the brakes to R1 bluespot calipers......oooh sooo much better. yahoo.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#6 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:53 pm

I'd save yer money by keeping the 18 front (good tyres around for that size now) and invest in a Race Tech valve and spring kit. It totally transforms the front end and makes it stick enough to stay with amarko5 without bursting a gut or filling ones keks wink.gif

Edited by dandywarhol, 30 November 2006 - 05:54 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#7 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:01 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd save yer money by keeping the 18 front (good tyres around for that size now) and invest in a Race Tech valve and spring kit. It totally transforms the front end and makes it stick enough to stay with amarko5 without bursting a gut or filling ones keks wink.gif

Amarko5 seems to be the bench mark for cornering. What's all that about then ? blink.gif

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:08 pm

QUOTE(Quartermaster @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amarko5 seems to be the bench mark for cornering. What's all that about then ? blink.gif

s'when you ride along an "unstraight road" wub.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:52 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
s'when you ride along an "unstraight road" wub.gif

rotflmmfao.gif

#10 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:37 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif

unsure.gif blush.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#11 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:56 pm

Just for the benefit of those who are unaware, Amarko leans his bike over further than anyone I've ever seen, he always grinds his footpegs, and if his handle bars were half an inch longer they'd be grinding too. and afaik his bike is pretty much standard. yahoo.gif

#12 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:16 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just for the benefit of those who are unaware, Amarko leans his bike over further than anyone I've ever seen, he always grinds his footpegs, and if his handle bars were half an inch longer they'd be grinding too. and afaik his bike is pretty much standard. yahoo.gif

I fank you kind gentleman good.gif but then again you were grinding on harside too IIRC good.gif

the suspension is bog standard (although adjusted how i like it) and the front forks are as they came from yamahaha.

maybe the grinding footpegs (and now exhausts tongue.gif ) is something to do with my not being able to get me arse off the seat rotflmmfao.gif

must try and get that knee out and see if there is anymore lean left then unsure.gif

P.S. i did cut 20mm off either side of the renthall handlebars when i fitted them laugh.gif

Edited by amarko5, 30 November 2006 - 11:18 pm.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#13 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:58 am

My MKI handled terrible till I set the rear shock on H and lifted the stations 15mm~ through the yolks.
Tis std really and the rear has stepped out a few times but the front feels planted. No need to sit on the tank. wink.gif

Edited by David H, 01 December 2006 - 02:58 am.

#14 andyj

andyj

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:39 am

K2Col. From Marchwood?

If you are then you'll know where I mean: I've got Z6's fitted, 20mm dropped front forks and I grind the peg going straight over at the Morrissons roundabout on the A326. Also ground both of them whilst in France in October.

Check your head bearings are good, get the fork oil changed and set front & rear suspension pretty firm. I find the bike's best on fast sweepers, not rapid switchbacks because it's so tall it takes a while to flick it onto the other ear. In that respect, the Divvy's better?!
Another boring night & I'm feeling pissed....

#15 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:25 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Fri 1st Dec 2006, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Emmett, an erudite answer to a simple question.
Wick, just the answer I'd expect from a Devonian !

Cheers

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#16 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:42 pm

QUOTE(k2col @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS Thanks to the chap who stuck a Carpe-TDM post-it note on my TDM yesterday at IBM Hursley :-)

Someone is over in TDM Spotting leaving a post about leaving a note on a TDM at IBM Hursley..... blink.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#17 Cavey

Cavey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:21 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Fri 1st Dec 2006, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone is over in TDM Spotting leaving a post about leaving a note on a TDM at IBM Hursley..... blink.gif

That's about 5 miles from me, that is..........

Wasn't me though
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

#18 robsue20

robsue20

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:00 pm

Anyone tried a fork braceon their tdm,remember the old elsie350 and powervalves,it was a popular thing to do too stop the forks twisting and flexing.Noticed yesterday when i put me new hoses on that the front forks arnt braced in any way.I remember my dommie650 had a brace internal of the mudguard.

#19 k2col

k2col

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:31 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Thu 30th Nov 2006, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IBM Hursley? K2 developer? DB2?

K2 isn't a techie reference, its a reference to my rock climbing aspirations, but basically its just a random name that I dreamed up and seems to have stuck as my usual online user name :-)

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Fri 1st Dec 2006, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

looked for that but couldn't find it? It was "Marky Mark" if I recall correctly

#20 k2col

k2col

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:00 pm

cheers chaps, my gut instinct was to update the suspension so i'll look into that rear shock upgrade that a couple of people mentioned. Fork service would probably help too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users