#1 wayne

wayne

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:22 pm

hi everyone,

does anybody know if this is a problem,

Drained the oil and removed the filter housing and filter on me 2006 900, found the new filter was wrong.

Ordered a couple of filters and waiting for them to arrive.

A mate at work said the oil can drain from the oil pump and cause
problems, I'd of thought there was a valve in the pump to stop this
happening. Dropped the oil monday eve and should be with new oil friday,
any ideas.

Also anyone know of, or fancy a run out somtime,soon, sundays, round about Yorkshire / north of england ish,??

regards

wayne

#2 lparker

lparker

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:32 pm

i ain't no expert but i would of thought that oil drains everytime the bike is stood. the oil pump is the first thing to get oil surely since it has to pump it round?
thats why you shouldn't rev from cold cos the oil has to circulate. If it was mine i wouldn't be worrying at all.

#3 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:41 pm

The TDM  850/900 is a dry sump bike. Two oil pumps, one pressure fed from the oil tank, one scavenge to pump sump oil back to tank after it's been everywhere. When you fill the oil tank the pressure pump (the important one) has a feed of oil directly into it, doesn't have to 'suck' it up  from the sump.

He must be talking about wet sump bikes, even in those not normally a problem, unless you take the pump apart.

Won't be a problem at all.

Edited by leehenty, 19 April 2013 - 01:42 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:14 pm

850 There are two different oil filters for TDM.
A model for 3VD
the other for the model 4TX.

The difference is, the valve.

The filter for the 4TX is the same as for all TDM 900

without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:06 pm

850 There are two different oil filters for TDM.
A model for 3VD
the other for the model 4TX.

The difference is, the valve.

The filter for the 4TX is the same as for all TDM 900

really ???   i assumed the 3VD and 4TX was the same oil filter no ? !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:42 pm

Got the diff part numbers Limbo?  All 850 TDM's (mkI and mkII) use the same filter (at least mine did :lol:) and as far as I'm aware the 9'er wan is the same. 

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:27 pm

Oil filter part numbers :

- TDM850 / 3VD + 4TX : 4X7-13440-90-00 / 4X7-13440-01 (last digits indicate minor revisions)

- TDM900 / 5PS : 5JX−13440−00

Say no more !

Edited by JBX, 21 April 2013 - 01:29 am.

top_640.png

#8 wayne

wayne

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:44 pm

i ain't no expert but i would of thought that oil drains everytime the bike is stood. the oil pump is the first thing to get oil surely since it has to pump it round?
thats why you shouldn't rev from cold cos the oil has to circulate. If it was mine i wouldn't be worrying at all.

Cheers, it all makes sense, what you said.

thanks for the reply.

regards

wayne

#9 wayne

wayne

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:57 pm

The TDM  850/900 is a dry sump bike. Two oil pumps, one pressure fed from the oil tank, one scavenge to pump sump oil back to tank after it's been everywhere. When you fill the oil tank the pressure pump (the important one) has a feed of oil directly into it, doesn't have to 'suck' it up  from the sump.

He must be talking about wet sump bikes, even in those not normally a problem, unless you take the pump apart.

Won't be a problem at all.

Cheers for that, didn't know about the 2 oil pumps.New oil and filter back in now and purring along again.

Do you happen to know if the oil drain plug on the o/s, (12mm head size), should have a copper washer or not, I torqued the bolt to 30Nm  and it badly distorted the washer, so discarded it and just fitted the drain bolt, all now seems ok.

thanks again for the info.

regards

wayne

#10 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:16 pm

both sump bolts should have copper washers.

30Nm seems a bit high? - correct though.

Edited by TDMick, 20 April 2013 - 11:21 pm.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:33 pm

both sump bolts should have copper washers.

30Nm seems a bit high? - correct though.

aye the sump bolt torque setting on the 850 is 35NM and the oil filter housing drain bolt is 30NM,    both quite high but thas what Haynes say they are.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#12 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:06 am

Oil filter part numbers :

- TDM850 / 3VD + 4TX : 4X7-13440-90-00 / 4X7-13440-01 (last digits indicate minor revisions)

- TDM900 / 5PS : 5JX−13440−00

Say no more !

The dealer has just changed the webside:

3VD and 4TX  =  4X7-13440-90

900er             = 5JX-13440-00.

http://www.yamahaers...-1996-2002.html

The difference in the numbers is only available from Yamaha dealer.
In all motorcycle equipment shops there is only one part number for the TDM oil filter.

Limbo

without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:00 pm

O/S copper washer is 10mm hole, 16mm outside 1.5mm thick,

near side (sump) is usually an aluminium crush washer 14mm hole 22mm outside 2mm thick.

Edited by leehenty, 23 April 2013 - 07:02 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#14 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:32 am

&nbsp;

O/S copper washer is 10mm hole, 16mm outside 1.5mm thick,
near side (sump) is usually an aluminium crush washer 14mm hole 22mm outside 2mm thick.

&nbsp;

The Aluminium washer supplied by Yamaha has ridges on it that deform on tightening - does it matter if I get plain washers intead as that is all I can find on the net?

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:52 pm

no not really, the alloy will deform and seal the oil in.

#16 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:02 am

Thanks Lee - I did think so but thought I would get expert confirmation

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users