• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bigmatt

Bigmatt

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:16 pm

I came back from a long ride and parked in the garage and went into the house. Went back into the garage about an hour later and could smell a strong fuel odor. The next day I was looking for the source of the smell and could see where the choke plungers were leaking. Nothing major but definitely leaking. No fuel leaks anywhere else.

Bike is running really well, gets  50 mpg and plugs look good.  No other carb related problems besides the choke plungers.

Can I just change out the Choke plungers without doing anything else to the carbs ?  I would hate  to disassemble the carbs if I don't have to !

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:40 pm

Yes. :)  It'll be a bit fiddly with the carbs on the bike but deffo dooable.  Lifting the carbs off the bike will make things easier though, you get a better view of where the plungers are going.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Bigmatt

Bigmatt

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:06 pm

Yes. :)  It'll be a bit fiddly with the carbs on the bike but deffo dooable.  Lifting the carbs off the bike will make things easier though, you get a better view of where the plungers are going.

Good news !   I will probably remove  the carbs to make it easier.  Waiting on the choke plungers to arrive....  I have rebuild kits and  Factory Pro emulsion tubes on hand but since the bike runs so well I was hoping to hold off on any carb disassembly until it is really needed.  Thanks :good:

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:35 pm

These guys make great ethanol friendly carb kits - TRX ones will fit

http://www.litetek.co/index.html

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users