50 replies to this topic

#21 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:06 am

Wauchope, about 30min West of Port Macquarie on the Oxley Hwy, small tourist Trap with limited Accom (according to Google)
Armidale is at the top end of the Oxley and there is a good run down through Dorrigo to the coast, then down to Port and up the Ox and Back.

Just looking at the Hema Atlas there are quite a few good rides around Armidale, Thunderbolts way(No.35) , Oxley Hwy (30) Waterfall Way (120) there seems to me to be a good few day trip loops with plenty of small towns for Coffee Stops.

I've said before "so many roads, so little time"
Trotski

All ways remember, A Pessimist Is Never Disappointed

'98 CT200P AutoAg , '93 Purple Kawasaki ZZR 250, 2004 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250 2005 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250
1999 Baltic Blue TDM 850 2010 Black TDM900

#22 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:51 am

How are you Brenton ?
I'm liking the March 2012 date too, I will be hard pressed to earn enough Brownie points this year for a big ride away, (to many Renov jobs on the books).
Graeme, I agree last years experience would be hard to repeat, though I am sure that another run in your area would be enjoyable, maybe to revisit Omeo and the GAR down the track would make it a fresher experience.
I don't know how we can get a few more members involved in this discussion, but so far it seems that perhaps the NSW Snowies is drawing interest, maybe we can consider basing in this area (easy for me), in March the Accom can be limited in the High Country as they are prepping for the Ski Season.
the ride program can be endless, short rides, long rides, and one not to miss is the Alpine way (6hr with stops) I'm pretty sure I can sort several rides of 100-200km hops (though I'm not as up with the history of the area as you are with your home base) looping back to base.

There is a Country Pub at Dalgety, that is in the middle of good riding country, that has rooms and counter Meals and also a Camping ground arcoss the road(next to the Snowy River) that could a godd base of Ops. There is however not much else at Dalgety (it makes Omeo look like a Metropolis)

Trotski

'98 CT200P AutoAg , '93 Purple Kawasaki ZZR 250, 2004 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250 2005 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250

#23 graeme

graeme

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:02 am

QUOTE(Trotski @ Sun 20th Feb 2011, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are you Brenton ?
I'm liking the March 2012 date too, I will be hard pressed to earn enough Brownie points this year for a big ride away, (to many Renov jobs on the books).
Graeme, I agree last years experience would be hard to repeat, though I am sure that another run in your area would be enjoyable, maybe to revisit Omeo and the GAR down the track would make it a fresher experience.
I don't know how we can get a few more members involved in this discussion, but so far it seems that perhaps the NSW Snowies is drawing interest, maybe we can consider basing in this area (easy for me), in March the Accom can be limited in the High Country as they are prepping for the Ski Season.
the ride program can be endless, short rides, long rides, and one not to miss is the Alpine way (6hr with stops) I'm pretty sure I can sort several rides of 100-200km hops (though I'm not as up with the history of the area as you are with your home base) looping back to base.

There is a Country Pub at Dalgety, that is in the middle of good riding country, that has rooms and counter Meals and also a Camping ground arcoss the road(next to the Snowy River) that could a godd base of Ops. There is however not much else at Dalgety (it makes Omeo look like a Metropolis)

All, dont know what you have to do to get more members involved, what Merlot alluded to is very true and that is that most just want to be told the "what and where". They also assume it will be exactly what they want. I really hope we dont go down the path of just naming a spot and date and then "see what happens". Its the lazy way and while it can no doubt leave some good memories with some it will leave some bad ones for some also.
Think we do have to wait a little while as some members dont look at the forum for a few days and as it does look like 2012 is getting the nod then the pressure is off a bit isnt it. I can go with either a base here with 2 dayer to the snowy or base somewhere you like Trotski and have it all there.
When are you heading off on your big trip Snigdog?, must be getting close?
cheers Graeme

#24 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:20 am

G'day gents , long time no type eh ? tongue.gif I have been pondering the possibilty of TDUT in Tassie & I agree that early Autum is usually a great time for riding. Down here though

at the moment it's sitting on about 5 celcius outside & raining. ( weird weather down here this summer ) Before I throw in any proposal I'll do some ivestigation into accomadation, costs, ride routes, etc & get back to you all. Very dissappointed that I missed the inaurgural. dry.gif

I am happy to do the TDUT wherever it may be held. drinks.gif

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#25 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:29 am

Good one Shane, the more options we have the better
Trotski

#26 merlot

merlot

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:24 am

hi shane... will be doing 2nd ride down your way "the wrong way round" in april....i came down at xmas and planned to stop in and buy a screen but it was all too much.....the last day was so windy (28th dec)...................i trialled my new seat and throttle lock...results were: new seat was awesome..4x7 hr days out of 5 and no aches anywhere(i"m 58yrs)..mildura to melb used throttle lock 98% of the time...devonport to cygnet used 0% of the time....riding alone ..cant ride without it ....in company though i prob wont use him..too much fluctuation..got one on the FJ and much less variance of speed but lots more grunt too....cant comment on orig seat as this was my first real ride on niner

grim...new seat is a pisser.....last seat i got done cost $480 from moorehouse and although excellent(was on the FJ) as soon as niner seat landed i put FJ seat on ebay and bought another one for FJ......i rode back from wagga and seat was as good as niner (has gel insert blah blah)

back to topic...1 and 2 sound fine to me...pity its so long to wait...happy for others to run it(am in no position myself as on the road for 3 mths at a time with a week off every cycle)

maybe if anyone else wants to get involved they could raise their hand and join you 3?..but it seems to be in good hands this time around

shane....how good is that road from swansea to cambelltown?...its better than the GWIDYR? at grafton IMHO

he who dies with the most toys wins

#27 graeme

graeme

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:52 am

grim...new seat is a pisser.....last seat i got done cost $480 from moorehouse and although excellent(was on the FJ) as soon as niner seat landed i put FJ seat on ebay and bought another one for FJ......i rode back from wagga and seat was as good as niner (has gel insert blah blah)

shane....how good is that road from swansea to cambelltown?...its better than the GWIDYR? at grafton IMHO
[/quote]

Hi Merlot, which, it has just sprung to mind, is what im drinking. The seats are "corbin" style, is that right? and do they provide support at the lower back?, look like it should, how high is it. I know i need to get out more but havent a f ing clue what the acronyms stand for-----
cheers Graeme (or Grim)

#28 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:28 am

QUOTE(merlot @ Mon 21st Feb 2011, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi shane... will be doing 2nd ride down your way "the wrong way round" in april....i came down at xmas and planned to stop in and buy a screen but it was all too much.....the last day was so windy (28th dec)..................

Hey Merlot, I'd definately like to checkout your new seat so we'll have to meet up when you're over. Let me know in advance if you want a screen made (2 weeks notice is good).

The road from Swansea to Campbelltown ( Lake Leak road ) is one we would do on a TDUT if held here. One of the favourites of all Tassie bikers. good.gif

drinks.gif
cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#29 graeme

graeme

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:20 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Sun 20th Feb 2011, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G'day gents , long time no type eh ? tongue.gif I have been pondering the possibilty of TDUT in Tassie & I agree that early Autum is usually a great time for riding. Down here though

at the moment it's sitting on about 5 celcius outside & raining. ( weird weather down here this summer ) Before I throw in any proposal I'll do some ivestigation into accomadation, costs, ride routes, etc & get back to you all. Very dissappointed that I missed the inaurgural. dry.gif

I am happy to do the TDUT wherever it may be held. drinks.gif

Hi Shane, great to hear from you. A weird summer all over for sure. Cant help the history thing so will point out that when it was decided to have the first TDUT at Omeo it was pretty much assumed that the next one would be in Tas. So long as all agreed of course. Shane pretty much dropped from view for a while and couldnt make the 2010. I liked the idea of going over to Tas, and am sure others would too so would really like to hear a suggestion about that option!! It is more difficult as a destination, i think i can do it but i have to employ someone while i'm away so anything could happen in the leadup and 2010 made it clear that everyone is a bit pressed for time, money or whatever. But then, should that even be a consideration? It will be interesting to hear other views. Would we be going near Mt Magnet Shane???
cheers Graeme

#30 merlot

merlot

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:47 am

hi graeme......translation reads......new seat is fantastic, the last seat i had modified (for FJ1200) cost $480 including postage from "john moorhouse ergo seats"(website seems to be down)he is a trimmer in qld and he re-foams the seat if asked. i did a 13hr day on one of his seats(cagiva navigator)

the point of the money was for around the same money i got seat from http://www.topseller...bike_8_209.html

hope this all makes sense mate

GWYDIR (correct spelling) road between grafton and glen innes...one of the top ten must do rides i think

SHANE.....will see you mon arvo april 11..can you build with height measure only? 5feet 10inches?

#31 merlot

merlot

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:53 am

sorry graeme...unsure about low back support, i confess i bought seat on looks alone .......tried to get a corbin but apparently the base for 900 isnt up to it(850 is ok)

#32 graeme

graeme

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:29 am

[quote name='merlot' date='Thu 24th Feb 2011, 07:47 PM' post='196339']
hi graeme......translation reads......new seat is fantastic, the last seat i had modified (for FJ1200) cost $480 including postage from "john moorhouse ergo seats"(website seems to be down)he is a trimmer in qld and he re-foams the seat if asked. i did a 13hr day on one of his seats(cagiva navigator)
]

Hi Merlot, thanks for all that, did you own the Navigator and even if you didnt what did you think of it. Suzuki motor, yes?. Looked at a few in mags when considering options that led up to the TDM. Like the look and reviews were good, only question was maybe longevity of body etc. Anyway what did you reckon-----
cheers Graeme

#33 merlot

merlot

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:28 am

hi graeme....re cag nav..i bought it with 4k on board and it was running like va hairy goat....prob why he sold it....i learned heaps about it re tuning but was always concerned re sensors for FI.....i finally got iot sweet but it still didnt like temp over 35c eg if you went roundabout you neerd to slip clutch or it may flame out...backroads no [prob re windage} but expressway was awfull..no cover....staintunes sound awful.......in traffic(nfg) but out in the open was awesome bike....through nat park waterfall w2ould just hold third and wind on and off w2ith no gear change...would i buy again?....yes....abs torque monster.....body?....tank comes in 2 halves and once you know how is easy to remove..the rest is normal....took heaps to warm up(in suburbia with very noisy exh) so not neighbour friendly if that worries you...pass seat? she was always sliding onto me...made me shy to braKE SO GOT MOORHOIUSE SEAT with no slip pass cover....very hard to sell eg 17000 ks bike showroom cond 06 mod $9000 took 6mths to sell 2009 .........................i find tdm easier to live with but nowhere near the torque of cagiva (only 100cc different).....hope this helps....russ

#34 graeme

graeme

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:02 am

QUOTE(merlot @ Fri 25th Feb 2011, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi graeme....re cag nav..i bought it with 4k on board and it was running like va hairy goat....prob why he sold it....i learned heaps about it re tuning but was always concerned re sensors for FI.....i finally got iot sweet but it still didnt like temp over 35c eg if you went roundabout you neerd to slip clutch or it may flame out...backroads no [prob re windage} but expressway was awfull..no cover....staintunes sound awful.......in traffic(nfg) but out in the open was awesome bike....through nat park waterfall w2ould just hold third and wind on and off w2ith no gear change...would i buy again?....yes....abs torque monster.....body?....tank comes in 2 halves and once you know how is easy to remove..the rest is normal....took heaps to warm up(in suburbia with very noisy exh) so not neighbour friendly if that worries you...pass seat? she was always sliding onto me...made me shy to braKE SO GOT MOORHOIUSE SEAT with no slip pass cover....very hard to sell eg 17000 ks bike showroom cond 06 mod $9000 took 6mths to sell 2009 .........................i find tdm easier to live with but nowhere near the torque of cagiva (only 100cc different).....hope this helps....russ

Hi Russ, thanks much for that. It confirms the question marks i had about buying one, yours may have been one that i was looking at as it was in 2009 if it was on bikepoint or similar. Its a shame it wasnt a better made bike, thanks again.
cheers Graeme

#35 val

val

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:36 pm

Hey,

Just got my first TDM and definately in the honeymoon stage.

Seeing as the next Tdut is looking to be over a year away - anyone fancy grabbing a pie in Robertson in the meantime?

Val

#36 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:33 am

QUOTE(Trotski @ Sun 20th Feb 2011, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how we can get a few more members involved in this discussion, but so far it seems that perhaps the NSW Snowies is drawing interest,

Snowies is interesting but as we're talking about mid-week and avoiding school holidays I'm out straight away (it's the only holidays I get is the problem). Thats why I'll lurk and see whats happening but theres no point in putting in my 2c. Hope you get a few more takers.

Can do a weekend trip in the snowies or the oxley, Omeo is too far for a weekend.

Al

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#37 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:13 am

QUOTE(val @ Sun 6th Mar 2011, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seeing as the next Tdut is looking to be over a year away - anyone fancy grabbing a pie in Robertson in the meantime?

Val

Hi Val, I'm up for a pie, I'm on call this weekend but I'm free the weekend after, Saturday or Sunday, PM me
Trotski

#38 val

val

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:55 am

Hi Trotski,

PM Sent.

#39 EddieGlitter

EddieGlitter

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:47 pm

Hi, is it possible to get some details & fed back for your seat. Looks great.

#40 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:18 am

Hey folks, yes still here after nearly getting rid of the TDM hidden.gif After a ride to Adelaide last weekend I'm very glad I've still got it...

I was hoping to get to the last TDUT, love that part of the country, great roads and scenery - it was in my calendar but I couldn't make it. Oct-Nov is always too busy at work to take a week off. December is ok though - my solo ride through the Snowies in 2009 was in Dec and the weather was great.

But Autumn is my best time to get away, I'd be keen for an Autumn 2012 ride. Tassie sounds good, but Omeo region again would be fine for me since I wasn't there last year. I'm ok with caravan parks, motels, dorms, whatever as long as it's dry and warm. Country pubs are great but usually limited numbers of beds.

I just put a TKC80 front/Tourance rear on the bike tonight so Flinders Ranges sounds fun laugh.gif - maybe I'll leave that for a ride with the ADVrider crowd.

Merlot, good to see another TDM out here in the desert tup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users