#4481 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 November 2020 - 03:04 pm

If you need a peg spanner for the pivot adjuster in the RHS frame hole I can lend my home-made as shown in this post:- http://www.carpe-tdm...=36807&p=374326

Looks like I need it now Steve. I've sent a PM. Thanks for offering

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4482 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:58 pm

Thanks to moving house, moving country, work, covid, not moving house again, etc, my 900 has been sat unloved in the work bike shed since the end of March!

Today I finally got round to going to have a look at it.  Still had enough power for the ignition but I figured it was probably pretty low so I hooked it up to the jump leads, pressed the starter button...and it started instantly.  I'm am seriously impressed at the reliability of these bikes.  It's filthy even by my standards though, original plan was to bring it home and give it a clean but it's tipping it down, roadworks mean I can't get it near my house, and I don't really want to annoy the guards at work too much by keep getting them to let me in and out.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4483 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 02:02 pm

removed the swingarm...found the nearside bearing is shot, through rusting (the oily chain side !)  The pivot shaft is badly grooved.

Looking for replacements, including an excellent low mileage complete swingarm with already renewed bearings.....easy life :)

I noticed a huge amount of pitting behind the swingarm's underside brake pipe bracket. There's a series of plastic pipe retaining clips, but one steel bracket nearest the caliper, which, after cleaning behind it shows heavy corrosion including pits over 1mm deep ! (hence my preference for another swingarm), and no pitting at all :)

EDIT - just got the swingarm with excellent bearings for £50, cheaper than buying a bearing and spindle kit

Also found the rear brake caliper seal was poking up past the cylinder lip, so I have a caliper kit coming now too.

The rear wheel is rebuilt though, new bearings (1 wrong seal in the kit, another will be coming soon). It now has new rear disc and bolts, and new sprocket nuts.( i was going to zinc plate the existing ones but, it's cheaper to buy new.

Front sprocket was clearly stressed, with deep grooves from the chain side plates cutting into it. I think there was so much dirt on the chain guide that it's biased the chain track to one side, causing it to wear the sprocket badly on one side. The chain is in surprisingly good nick and is soaking in oil. Going to try a 15t silent sprocket next

Noticing that the DB killer inserts in the exit end of the Scorpion cans were getting quite rusted and tatty, and noting that they reduced the diameter of the exit pipe down to about a quarter of  what it could be , so, I pulled them out and fitted a pair of this other type which go into the entrance of the silencer instead of the exit end...(2" pipe fitting)  . They don't restrict flow at all. They dampen the sound enough to take the bright stinging out of the exhaust note which straight through systems can suffer from , but lets the deep rumble through ....loving that already ! https://www.ebay.co....872.m2749.l2648

I think I'm over the worst of it now because the front end had a lot of work previously.

Edited by fixitsan, 16 November 2020 - 03:54 pm.

#4484 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:08 am

Totally flat Battery this morning again !  quick check and looks like the Starter motor cable was very close to + cable at starter solenoid

and the plastic cover for + cable wasn't securely in place

Well I hope that's what the cause is  ( or New Starter Solenoid is F##ked already )  will find out when I try to recharge Battery unless that's F##ked

as well  :rolleyes:

I hate Mondays  :lol:

#4485 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:42 am

Totally flat Battery this morning again !  quick check and looks like the Starter motor cable was very close to + cable at starter solenoid

and the plastic cover for + cable wasn't securely in place

Well I hope that's what the cause is  ( or New Starter Solenoid is F##ked already )  will find out when I try to recharge Battery unless that's F##ked

as well  :rolleyes:

I hate Mondays  :lol:

The killer for lead acid batteries is when they're stored in their uncharged condition. It allows crystals of lead based compounds to grow in between the plates, which cannot normally grow when the cell is charged.

But it takes an amount of time before they grow to a point where the battery is unusable, the best thing to do when discovering a flat battery, particularly recently flattened ones, is to get them on a charger asap and bring the voltage up. Leaving them on a float charge (or a higher voltage 'equalisation' charge) for a while can help to begin to dissolve at least some crystals which have begun to develop

#4486 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:36 pm

The killer for lead acid batteries is when they're stored in their uncharged condition. It allows crystals of lead based compounds to grow in between the plates, which cannot normally grow when the cell is charged.

But it takes an amount of time before they grow to a point where the battery is unusable, the best thing to do when discovering a flat battery, particularly recently flattened ones, is to get them on a charger asap and bring the voltage up. Leaving them on a float charge (or a higher voltage 'equalisation' charge) for a while can help to begin to dissolve at least some crystals which have begun to develop

Had to shift my Backside to come to  work so no chance to get it on a charger this morning

Hopefully as the Battery was only replaced 3 weeks ago it should recharge 

on the plus side 

I'm Off tomorrow so plenty of time to swap out Battery if req  of course the weather will be totally crap  ;)

#4487 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:48 pm

I'm Off tomorrow so plenty of time to swap out Battery if req  of course the weather will be totally crap  ;)

It goes without saying !

Mine was completely flat, and had been for at least a month, but a long steady charge has brought it back. Cranking is a bit slower, so it's ability to deliver the same peak current is affected but it still holds well at 12.5V 24 hours after charging so it's not likely to die and leave me stranded

#4488 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:03 pm

Refitted the swingarm (the replacement £50 ebay win), completed the rear wheel rebuild and noticed I had a smaller disc than I should have, I made a mistake when ordering it.....but I've got another coming soon.

Cleaned up the front sprocket zone and removed a handful of grease/oil/soil composite material.

The sidestand pivot and gear lever pivot were very worn and loose, which I've managed to cure by building the shafts up with self adhesive hardened stainless shim tape.

Then removed the swingarm again because i forgot to feed the chain around it first :)

Took delivery of some satin black wheel paint with an unusual odour. It's not xylene but it's something as dubious as that by the smell of it. And painted the wingrack mounting brackets to test it. It dries quick and sticks well

It's not going to be mint when I'm done, but it will look better than it might otherwise do considering it's done 107000 miles

#4489 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:40 pm

Changed my fork seals. 

I used the overfill oil method as you tube star Dapleb demonstrated.

Cant believe how easy it was. A bit messy, I put my forks in clear heavy duty plastic bags and I got to finally use my recovery strap.

Jobs a carrot as Dapleb said.

#4490 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:59 am

Had to take the old cow out for shooping, started well but soon started to skip on ome cyl. Suspect water in fuel again 😐
Will try and drain bowls before storing in remote garage next week.
Bjørge

#4491 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:43 pm

Almost ready for the MOT, just added a bit of vinyl wrap. It's far from perfect but better than what was there before.

The RMG centre stand powder coat has almost completely come off, despite only being run for one season and stood on the drive for 2 more.  Wire brush time I think !

[/url]tdmcammo by Chris Barron, on Flickr">http://50654019492_714c69acda_k.jpgtdmcammo by Chris Barron, on Flickr

Edited by fixitsan, 27 November 2020 - 06:47 pm.

#4492 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:48 pm

Almost ready for the MOT, just added a bit of vinyl wrap. It's far from perfect but better than what was there before.

The RMG centre stand powder coat has almost completely come off, despite only being run for one season and stood on the drive for 2 more.  Wire brush time I think !

[/url]tdmcammo by Chris Barron, on Flickr">http://50654019492_714c69acda_k.jpgtdmcammo by Chris Barron, on Flickr

I'm well impressed with that !   Looks like a WW1 battleship...... which I really like  !!

#4493 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:46 pm

I'm well impressed with that !   Looks like a WW1 battleship...... which I really like  !!

I'll take that !

Wanted, 4.7" naval gun.......

#4494 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:22 am

Those hand guards look nifty, are they LED lights built in ?

And what is that bottom left corner of the photo?, not a Porcupine !!!!

Edited by Gdogg, 28 November 2020 - 05:25 am.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#4495 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,441 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:09 am

Good idea that.  :good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4496 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,744 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:26 am

Must admit, my first impression was a bit WTF, but it's grown on me and have to say I like it!! Just might have to consider a less conservative colour scheme next time for mine. Nice one Chris...
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#4497 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:32 am

Those hand guards look nifty, are they LED lights built in ?

And what is that bottom left corner of the photo?, not a Porcupine !!!!

Yes they're cheap Chinese handguards. The led's aren't powerful enough to be what you would call driving lamps, they're DRLs really. They're always on, but dim automatically at night and flash in synch with the indicator on each side.

As for the porcupine, I've never noticed the similarity before ! :)

#4498 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:04 pm

Must admit, my first impression was a bit WTF, but it's grown on me and have to say I like it!! Just might have to consider a less conservative colour scheme next time for mine. Nice one Chris...

Thanks. It's a coverup of the hydro dipping experiment I did with these side panels, which are the repaired panels from Len's old bike. I love the Galaxy Blue colour on the mudguard but trying to find a vinyl which has a blue which is a close enough match to tie it in together is hard, I just about get away with it for now with the dark blue in the wrap.

For the cost of two replacement panels it can all go back to normal. And the wrap can be peeled off and replaced with another vinyl wrap of a different design. I'll keep it like this for now and see if it grows on me.

Edited by fixitsan, 28 November 2020 - 12:05 pm.

#4499 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,744 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:12 pm

Yep, good solution.
The thing that always bugged me on my '03 was the frame colour. Hated it! Sprayed it aluminium and fell in love again. Might just have a look at wrapping (As opposed to rapping!!) the nose fairing.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#4500 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:19 pm

Yep, good solution.
The thing that always bugged me on my '03 was the frame colour. Hated it! Sprayed it aluminium and fell in love again. Might just have a look at wrapping (As opposed to rapping!!) the nose fairing.

I've always preferred the black frame, and silver would be a big improvement too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users