#1 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:08 am

This was going to be a MK1 rebuild post but the piccys (that I could find) are too big so I will try to reduce the size and try again--But in the meantime this may be of intrest to some of you.

When getting the bike running again first off it didnt want to start then ran rough tick over all over the place so a couple of carb cleans later it was starting and tick over was ok but as I have a MK2 rolling chasis without carbs I looked on ebay for some MK2 carbs (was going to try them on the MK1 first) and some MK2a jobbys poped up so I got them instead and tried them on the MK1 to see what happens.

Here are the carbs on the MK1.

The inlet side pops straight on.

The air box side is bigger than the MK2 or MK1 carbs so you will need at least the MK2a airbox rubbers.

Attached File  IMG_1233.JPG   120.96KB   4 downloads

I got a MK2a airbox with rubbers from EBay

Attached File  IMG_1258.JPG   142.33KB   7 downloads

The holes at the bottm of the carb line up with the holes in the airbox rubbers and they are outside of the airbox rubber tube filterd air still but there must be a reason for that.

The carbs came complete with hoses and cables.

The throttle cables went straight into my throttle tube.

The choke setup Is different so I just took off the 2a cable and put the MK1 choke cable on, straight forward.

I have done 300ish miles the bike starts easey goes well no poping, banging, hesitation,just nice smooth power.

I have gone up hills in too high a gear to see if it bogs and coughes and it didnt.----No idea why my word changes here--

It seems to return 55+ to the gallon (fill tank to a point and try to fill to the same point again,not accurate but it will do).

I am using the stock diaphram type fuel pump.

It does seem to be buy it fit it and feck off on a ride-- nice.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:00 pm

:badgerrock:  That's my first mod lined up. :)  Stock fuel pump too, brill !   Really appreciate you sharing this Mick, been wanting to do this for years. :good:  Just need to find some mk2a carbs at the right price afore every other mk1 owner snaffles 'em up. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 carrizog60

carrizog60

sticking around

• 39 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:45 pm

Dont forget to check emulsion tubes on mk2 carbs. They do worn out and are a pain to change...

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:09 pm

Dont forget to check emulsion tubes on mk2 carbs. They do worn out and are a pain to change...

luckily he's fitted MK2a carbs which generally do not wear the mulsion toobs loike the MK2 carbs do.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 carrizog60

carrizog60

sticking around

• 39 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:02 am

If mk2a is the 99 model than they do wear,mine did...

#6 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:39 am

Did the back of your carbs look the same as mine in the pics.

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:38 am

did your bike have a digital odo readout Carrizog60 ?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#8 carrizog60

carrizog60

sticking around

• 39 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:05 pm

sure it has...

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:29 pm

sure it has...

Wonder if it did alot of low speed town riding which in my onion exacerbate the carb wear.

#10 carrizog60

carrizog60

sticking around

• 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:10 am

Dont know,but it was hard to remove and spent 45euros with shipping to buy them...

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:51 am

Dont know,but it was hard to remove and spent 45euros with shipping to buy them...

not cheap but at least yer fixed and up and running as normal again.  was she running rough with the worn tubes and did you replace the needles too,  all genuine Yamaha parts used or Factory Pro??  Are you happy with the MPG now?

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:25 pm

At that price def not OEM or FP unless it was one tube! :-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#13 carrizog60

carrizog60

sticking around

• 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:56 pm

I got them from a german company named koso or keso...something like that.only 2 small tubes... I have other topic here with some pics. I noticed that if i rev the bike a bit more in neutral it would smoke badly black. Bike isnt on the street yet but ar first sight is good now

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:04 am

I got them from a german company named koso or keso...something like that.only 2 small tubes... I have other topic here with some pics. I noticed that if i rev the bike a bit more in neutral it would smoke badly black. Bike isnt on the street yet but ar first sight is good now

sounds good,  are you in the UK carrizog60 ?   do ya wanna show us some pics of your bike please?    Oil search fir that topic, star bar and snickers.

#15 carrizog60

carrizog60

sticking around

• 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:18 am

hello

no i am from portugal.

as soon as i get all the body parts that went to paint i will sow it.

its a 99 model,black and gold with 65.000km.

its for my wife, the suzuki sv 650 it had before caused to much back pain.

hope that the tdm can solve that.

link for topic regarding carbs

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=34322

#16 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:52 am

hello

no i am from portugal.

as soon as i get all the body parts that went to paint i will sow it.

its a 99 model,black and gold with 65.000km.

its for my wife, the suzuki sv 650 it had before caused to much back pain.

hope that the tdm can solve that.

link for topic regarding carbs

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=34322

;)

#17 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:36 am

Found these just, dunno if anyone wants to buy them. I was searching for fuel tanks and these popped up.

#18 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:19 pm

Mick you've mentioned in another thread that you used all stock settings when you used mk2a carbs on the 3vd, which stock settings mk2a or 3vd stock settings, presume you meant all settings for mk2a carbs..if so does that mean you've kept all jet sizes for the mk2a as well and pilot screw settings !!! will be thinking of getting a set in the future..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#19 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:30 am

I simply put the MK2a carbs and airbox on the MK1 (you will at least need the MK2a airbox rubbers as the carb backs are about 10mm wider as seen in the photo at the top)

The carbs were left as MK2a no jet changes or air screw adjusting,just gave them a clean and put them on.

I have used MK1 MK2 and MK2a carbs on the MK1 in my opinion which accounts for feck all the MK2a carbs do seem to be smoother than the MK1 or MK2 jobs the MK2 carbs which were also stock settings couldnt realy tell any difference.

Whatever carbs I use which include the MK2 with two sets of MK2 carbs(not at the same time :lol: )they all fire on one cylinder for a bit if not used for a while then run fine,I always turn the fuel off and if I run out in the carbs it takes ages to get the bike to fire/get fuel through.

#20 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:55 pm

Okay that's cleared up cheers, meant to ask if you have needed to adjust fuel level on these, cant find a photo to see if theirs a line on the float bowl to measure off..

Thanks for the info  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users