• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 qual

qual

sticking around

• 20 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:18 pm

So my chain was getting pretty bad and i couldnt move the rhs adjuster , so i gave the bike to a freind who was going to put some titanium bolts in,

the old one snapped

not a problem in itself however , the tap he was using after drilling the old bolt out has snapped flush...

any quick ways to remove a snapped tap ?

or is ther any of those fancy billet chain adjusters that fot the tdm , ebay doesnt seem to come up with anything sadly?

any ideas, links would be much appreciated!!

Adam

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:47 pm

I've got shattered taps out from precarious places (Z1R cam caps) by welding blobs on the end till above the hole and then welded a nut over the blob, that got me a few beers from the owner.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:12 am

You can get tap extractors from Cromwell Tools - think they are about £15 for the smaller taps sizes (3 & 4 flute type)

They are excellent quality (made in U S of A)
Took a few out at work during the years and they excellent, work every time.
You can use them with a socket and ratchet handle or impact tool.

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#4 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 October 2020 - 09:16 am

is this the thing you need

https://www.ebay.co....HcAAOSwQFhbZaRt

if so i think i have a pair in the shed

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 October 2020 - 11:02 am

Is there any of the 'stud' left or has that snapped flush also ? Mine snapped just under the bolt head, leaving a long stud, which allowed me to fit a very long nut which works perfectly well as an adjuster.

Whatever it's going to cost, keep in mind you can find a decent clean swingarm from somewhere warm (low levels of corrosion) for under £50 shipped (I just looked on ebay EG https://www.ebay.co....PsAAOSwoDVd-2b6 )

Edited by fixitsan, 31 October 2020 - 11:02 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 qual

qual

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 05:17 pm

hes managed to drill it out, the hole isnt perfect but its sorted for now , it really needs a new thread putting in which i think we will do when i put a new chain and sprockets on,

is 16/42 the standard gearing on a 900?  or is there a recommended change   ?

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:44 pm

Some info over on the excellent JBX site qual.  https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=RAT

It's also been discussed many times on here, a search might help you find more info.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 qual

qual

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:46 am

Yea thanks for the link, looks like a good resource but damm it's slow, I tried registering but didn't get an email, is it just an old site that not worked on anymore?

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:59 am

JBX is a carpe member but I don't think he's been on here for a while.  His site does occasionally run slow or stop working though.  I'm sure he'll get round to sorting it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users