• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 poppykle

poppykle

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 November 2020 - 12:09 pm

Took the 900 out this week and locked the ignition in the lock position, something I never usually do. When I came back my blinkers were flashing and the parking light was on.  I forgot the parker lit when the ignition was in lock, my bad,  but I didn't realise that the blinker circuit was live in this position. 

Roadside assistance got me started and also got me thinking. I have now purchased a small jump starter which will fit under the seat and I want to investigate LED globes for the parking light, tail light and blinkers. Presumably the LED's will lower the drain if this happened again.  Any recommendations or advice on what I should be aware of?  Any advice on the pros and cons of my idea?  I'm presuming the LED's should be plug and play with no additional wiring or accessories necessary.

Would it be worthwhile also doing the headlights? 

#2 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 November 2020 - 04:18 pm

No need to do anything pop unless you want to convert to LED anyway.......I think you'll find when you turned the key off you accidentally pushed on the key at the same time which allows the key to go past off to the lock position and if you keep turning it will go past lock to the lock + parklight position. If you stop at lock the lights won't come on...hth

Edited by Apache, 05 November 2020 - 04:29 pm.

#3 poppykle

poppykle

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 November 2020 - 09:47 am

Apache, agreed, I pushed the key into the lock position.  My main query is would LED's in the parking and tail lights have extended battery life in these circumstances.

#4 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 November 2020 - 09:57 am

Apache, agreed, I pushed the key into the lock position.  My main query is would LED's in the parking and tail lights have extended battery life in these circumstances.

Yes, ~ 2x. 

Bjørge

#5 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 November 2020 - 03:49 pm

It'll hugely extend the battery life but it's a lot of work instead of stopping the key at lock instead of continuing to lock + park lights........I don't have a niner diagram but it should be easy enough to install an audible warning via a diode to warn of key in lock + park light position.........hth

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:23 pm

X2 on the ignition pushed too far and the lower consumption of LEDs vs ordinary bulbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users