• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 10 November 2020 - 10:54 am

Is there a step-by-step account of selecting and fitting emulators for a 1991 TDM 850 ?   Unfortunately the only ones I've found are without illustrations.

Race Tech seem to be without fault, but has anyone had experience of other makes ?

#2 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:43 pm

Found this one on experience with YSS valves by dandywarhol: http://www.carpe-tdm...e=2#entry360493

ISTR that instructions were given you with a limited login period at racetech.com. Yes, I admit - not exactly futuristic design & functionality  :lol:

Found Stink-foot's old instructions as well (also forgot I based my work on it  :P....well it was 2007... ): http://www.carpe-tdm...c=382#entry2637

Edited by Bjørge, 10 November 2020 - 01:44 pm.

Bjørge

#3 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:23 am

The Mk1 already has cartridge forks so emulators won't fit as they aren't needed - they only work with damper rod forks and the valves "emulate" cartridge forks.

You could fit RT's Gold Valve kit but I would question if it was worth the effort https://www.racetech...aha/TDM850/1992

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#4 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 November 2020 - 04:21 pm

It's definately worth the effort 😎
Bjørge

#5 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:39 pm

It's definately worth the effort

The Mk1 cartridge damping is really pretty good as standard Bjorge - far better than the Mk2 and 900

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#6 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:00 pm

The Mk1 already has cartridge forks so emulators won't fit as they aren't needed - they only work with damper rod forks and the valves "emulate" cartridge forks.

You could fit RT's Gold Valve kit but I would question if it was worth the effort https://www.racetech...aha/TDM850/1992

It's definately worth the effort

Thanks, Dandy, the penny eventually dropped and I realised that I have cartridge forks......this forum is a total education !

And I even managed to make sense of the Race Tech site, so much so that I ordered up some Gold Valves from Amazon.com and they're winging their way to me right now.

I've went the whole hog and ordered a set of progressive front springs and a YSS rear shock.  I know it's cheap but it's surely an improvement on the one I've got. It's nearly thirty years old and covered nearly 70,000km.

#7 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:44 pm

Thanks, Dandy, the penny eventually dropped and I realised that I have cartridge forks......this forum is a total education !

And I even managed to make sense of the Race Tech site, so much so that I ordered up some Gold Valves from Amazon.com and they're winging their way to me right now.

I've went the whole hog and ordered a set of progressive front springs and a YSS rear shock.  I know it's cheap but it's surely an improvement on the one I've got. It's nearly thirty years old and covered nearly 70,000km.

i'd question the use of progressive springs if you're going down an improved cartridge damper route. Progressives are really only best when the original damping system is crap

#8 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:31 pm

i'd question the use of progressive springs if you're going down an improved cartridge damper route. Progressives are really only best when the original damping system is crap

I've ordered them, so I'll give them a try.  The springs I took out are apparently not that old and measure out ok. So I can always put them back and a pair of lightly used progressive springs will be on the market !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users