#21 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:22 am

Well that would have been handy for me 60 years ago. I used an infrared lamp for acne. No doubt that is not quite the same thing without the blue. Never seemed to do much for me but it was nice and warm!

Ultraviolet light (extreme excitatory) is used for the treatment of acne and sterilization and water purification. Infrared is the most interesting end of the spectrum for it's potential therapeutic use. Lots of stuff on it's use in treating Alzheimer's and strokes. If big pharma can brought to heel, I think it'll be the next big thing in medicine.  

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#22 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:41 am

I tried allsorts and nothing really worked. At 50 i get a few spots on my shoulder and back, and when I go to the gym I'm accused of taking steroids because of it !

I knew it :hide:

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#23 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:03 pm

I knew it :hide: Before I met you I had a picture of a lankey, nerdy bloke not the white Mike Tyson who turned up.

Edited by muddy, 08 December 2018 - 12:03 pm.

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:23 pm

I remember seeing a news report a good few yrs ago about a study of blue light and how it was being used in pubs n clubs n restaurants etc to help customers feel awake for longer. No mention of sleep deprivation after the subjects left the premises though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:02 pm

I knew it :hide: Before I met you I had a picture of a lankey, nerdy bloke not the white Mike Tyson who turned up.

Lololol !  Slight exaggeration I think :)   Although when I take my teeth out i sound similar  :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#26 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:30 pm

When this topic first came up i had a play with my laptop monitor and turned the blue channel all the way down to 50%. not sure if I've really noticed any effect yet though.

However, never one to shy away from a challenge, if you search using Google Scholar     https://scholar.google.co.uk/   ..... I came across this report confirming the effects on sleep patterns (in male teenagers) https://www.scienced...054139X14003243

I also found a paper showing that blue light therapy (accompanied by red light) can be used as an acne treatment. So although their sleep patterns are disrupted the teenagers above who stare at their laptop or smartphone should be noticeably less spotty https://www.tandfonl...764170600735912

Cheers! TBH I'd never heard of scholar.google.

#27 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:23 pm

Cheers! TBH I'd never heard of scholar.google.

It used to be available from the ordinary Google page when you clicked on the 'More' hyperlink, and there was a lot of other good stuff there too but it's been streamlined now. A lot of the reports require you to have an Athens password to read them, but if you know any uni students they can share theirs

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#28 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:30 pm

Just been reading through this. I've been a rubbish sleeper for ages, think I need some clip-ons to go on my glasses.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#29 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:18 pm

Ultraviolet light (extreme excitatory) is used for the treatment of acne and sterilization and water purification. Infrared is the most interesting end of the spectrum for it's potential therapeutic use. Lots of stuff on it's use in treating Alzheimer's and strokes. If big pharma can brought to heel, I think it'll be the next big thing in medicine.

And with the references to seratonin and melatonin, what about light and depression?
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#30 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:52 pm

And with the references to seratonin and melatonin, what about light and depression?

As I wrote, serotonin is the precursor to melatonin. The thing to remember is that light plays a significant role in regulating these neurotransmitters. Being indoors under artificial light all day means that we're getting our signals all crossed and screwing with our neurotransmitter regulation. I have found that changing my diet and getting out in the sun, on the rare days it's around, changing my light bulbs and wearing blue blockers has helped with my sleep and low mood.

This isn't going to go down too well here as a plan, but I had to give up cake, cut right down on my carbohydrates and adopt a ketogenic diet to really get to grips with things. High carbohydrate intake also causes mood fluctuations and other much worse ailments, diabetes for a start. But I had a lot of gut issues as well, so had to take drastic steps. Not ideal for me, because I haven't got much weight to play around with.

I think most people that work outside get enough of the good rays to not be overly affected, it's those who work inside who have to take care. Lots of people who suffer from insomnia or eye strain will greatly benefit from taking precautions.

Standard bright white LED bulbs that we're all being encouraged to use are not good.They may save on the electricity bill, but filament bulbs are way better, because they have a balanced spectrum and no blue light peak. But even with those it's better to get used to lower wattage. Better to keep the brighter bulbs as the main lights for when you need to see clearly and use side lights with lower watt old school bulbs if you can find them. Failing that, use E14 incandescent oven bulbs which are cheap as chips. You can also use kapton tape to filter out the blue on LED lights if you can't bear to part with them. 

Edited by muddy, 08 December 2018 - 10:55 pm.

#31 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:11 am

What a fascinating thread.

The discussion strikes a chord. I've been working in an office environment for the last 3 years and my computer use has gone through the roof. Within months I became long sighted and now use reading glasses. Allegedly my lenses have lost their flexibility, but that quickly?

Summit else that's happened which is very eerie, I wake up anytime between 3am and 5am. Regardless of what happened the night before or what time I hit my scratcher. As a chef, morning for me was anytime after 9:30am. Bizarre.

I also used to do a lot of diving, the colour spectrum is very apparent, blue is the last colour to disappear as you sink before it all becomes monotone, just contrast. Flick a torch on and whoa! It's like Disney land down there.

A colleague at work has recently had a couple of melanomas removed, not unusual in NZ with our lack of ozone and 7 minute burn time during peak summer. Thing is, the melanoma started when she was working in Sweden, Kiruna, above the arctic circle. Due to lack of sunlight many public areas have the equivalent of sun bed lights.. Definitely something to consider with light exposure. Sadly, a very high suicide rate up there, too.

I do have a bit of thought on diet, muddy. Carbs get a bad rap but the big issue is processed carbs, GI, and what you eat with them. Sadly, cake is basically refined and partially refined sugar.

See if you can find a copy of Michael Pollan' book, In Defense of Food. It illuminates the huge gaps in our nutritional knowledge very well and can give you a more considered perspective of how to eat rather than categorise specific nutrients and their alleged effects. It's a good place to start the food journey, any hoo.

Thanks for bringing this up, I'm going to look into some better spectacles for work. And get back into diving.

In "blue" water, with no distance perception, your eyes focus on the inside of the mask lens. A whale could swim past and you would be oblivious. I spearfish and eventually learned how to extend the focus of my eyes manually, a bizarre sensation, you can feel the muscles in your eyes working.... Must get back into it!

On another note.... Told you I was fascinated.

Talking about how the spectrum of sun light changes over the course of a day, how it affects us and how plants use it for photosynthesis. I had a conversation recently with a cop who busted an, ahem, commercial grower. This guy had replicated the full spectrum of light for his grow system. The lighting mimicked a natural day but he controlled how long the day was.

Shirley this idea could be used to improve on artificial lighting in our work spaces and homes?

Edited by harvey krumpet, 09 December 2018 - 07:19 am.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#32 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:13 am

What a fascinating thread.

The discussion strikes a chord. I've been working in an office environment for the last 3 years and my computer use has gone through the roof. Within months I became long sighted and now use reading glasses. Allegedly my lenses have lost their flexibility, but that quickly?

Summit else that's happened which is very eerie, I wake up anytime between 3am and 5am. Regardless of what happened the night before or what time I hit my scratcher. As a chef, morning for me was anytime after 9:30am. Bizarre.

I also used to do a lot of diving, the colour spectrum is very apparent, blue is the last colour to disappear as you sink before it all becomes monotone, just contrast. Flick a torch on and whoa! It's like Disney land down there.

A colleague at work has recently had a couple of melanomas removed, not unusual in NZ with our lack of ozone and 7 minute burn time during peak summer. Thing is, the melanoma started when she was working in Sweden, Kiruna, above the arctic circle. Due to lack of sunlight many public areas have the equivalent of sun bed lights.. Definitely something to consider with light exposure. Sadly, a very high suicide rate up there, too.

I do have a bit of thought on diet, muddy. Carbs get a bad rap but the big issue is processed carbs, GI, and what you eat with them. Sadly, cake is basically refined and partially refined sugar.
See if you can find a copy of Michael Pollan' book, In Defense of Food. It illuminates the huge gaps in our nutritional knowledge very well and can give you a more considered perspective of how to eat rather than categorise specific nutrients and their alleged effects. It's a good place to start the food journey, any hoo.

Thanks for bringing this up, I'm going to look into some better spectacles for work. And get back into diving.
In "blue" water, with no distance perception, your eyes focus on the inside of the mask lens. A whale could swim past and you would be oblivious. I spearfish and eventually learned how to extend the focus of my eyes manually, a bizarre sensation, you can feel the muscles in your eyes working.... Must get back into it!

On another note.... Told you I was fascinated.

Talking about how the spectrum of sun light changes over the course of a day, how it affects us and how plants use it for photosynthesis. I had a conversation recently with a cop who busted an, ahem, commercial grower. This guy had replicated the full spectrum of light for his grow system. The lighting mimicked a natural day but he controlled how long the day was.

Shirley this idea could be used to improve on artificial lighting in our work spaces and homes?

I remember the intensity of the light on the South Island when I was there picking apples outside of Nelson. This may sound a bit woo woo, but I've heard it too often to ignore. I haven't had a chance to try it out, but many have corrected their poor eyesight by gazing at the sun when it's in the rich red part of the spectrum and low in blue at sunrise and sunset. There's a protocol for this which suggests you start at 10 seconds direct gaze and add 10 seconds each time you do it. There's a neuro surgeon called Jack Kruse who talks about how he got all the blue light dominant lights changed in the operating theatre and in between surgeries gets up on the helicopter pad to take in the sun. Reckons it's transformed him.

Edited by muddy, 09 December 2018 - 09:13 am.

#33 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:44 am

I agree it is all fascinating stuff, important too. Maybe it should be made a 'sticky' rather than it disappear into the morass (dictionary: "muddy...":) of posts we are fortunate to have on here.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users