13 replies to this topic

#1 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:19 pm

Has anyone replaced their handlebar mounting rubbers / bushes on their MK1 850 ? I think mine have gone a bit soft. Or has anyone replaced them with something solid, nylon? machined steel / aluminium inserts ?

If you aren't sure what I'm on about, the part is

3VD-23434-00-00 . HOLDER, DAMPER

on the parts fiche

#2 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:24 pm

Don't buy billet alloy grips or metal, The vibration will sort you and your gloves out asap!

My tip when fitting, get some alcohol liquid hand rub, lubricate when fitting, alcohol evaporates job done

#3 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:37 pm

I've just looked at the 4TX parts fiche it doesn't have these rubber dampers. Does the 3VD/ 360 degree engine vibrate more than the 4TX 270 degree one ?

If I can get away without them I can see a machining job for Leehenty on the horizon. Either that or I'll try to find some poly bushes that fit (seem to remember getting some hard bushes for a MK1 golf trailing arm a while back, they were only £15 for the pair posted).

Edited by hammerman, 02 March 2011 - 11:37 pm.

#4 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:42 pm

my bars do vibrate a hell of a lot. I expect it being a big twin but anyway of dampening this?

Lew wink.gif

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:46 am

Send me a drawing with accurate measurements, I'll knock up a pair out of acetal or nylon white or black ? for a lot less than £15

Edited by leehenty, 03 March 2011 - 12:48 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:11 am

Thanks Lee, once I know whether or not solid mounting them is a good idea, I'll give you a shout.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:37 am

Contemplated replacing mine on me mk1 but never got around to it.

You might be able to experiment with some wide washers so you get the same effect as not having rubber insert doohickeys dunno.gif

I'd say the mk1 has a more pronounced vibe than a mk2, dunno if the 270 crank makes a difference.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:39 pm

QUOTE(hammerman @ Thu 3rd Mar 2011, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Lee, once I know whether or not solid mounting them is a good idea, I'll give you a shout.

Post a picy of what they are supposed to look like , spring must be coming, you are all getting out there fettling laugh.gif
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#9 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:27 pm

Part number 9 is the damper

#10 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:03 am

QUOTE(hammerman @ Thu 3rd Mar 2011, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Part number 9 is the damper

Well if you want rid of the damper just turn up a bit of HE30 alloy bar to the right sizes, anyone got one they can take accurate measurements off ? Bore size, outside dia and the size and depth of the steps.

#11 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:13 am

Hi Lee

I'm going to try and get them out this weekend, I'm hoping they aren't pressed in or put up a fight coming out. Unless anyone else has a Yoke off the bike with the dampers already out and they can measure the bore etc ?

#12 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:51 pm

I looked at these today, they are very tight in the yoke. I didn't go any further with trying to take them out as it looks like it could be a bit of a job. I'm going to do as Studley said for now - put some washers in there to effectively take the damping out of the damper. I'll look at getting the dampers out sometime when I have a few days off work and I know I'm not going to want to ride.

Lee, I'd still like to make some solid replacements for the dampers, looking at the design the solid ones won't need the shoulders machining, so it'll be a straight cylinder with a hole drilled through it. I'll give you a shout when I decide to tackle this.

thanks

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:10 pm

You just reminded me why I never bothered replacing mine laugh.gif They do look kinda permanent don't they !

Have to say, the design of the mk1 yoke is total crap, and why did they make em with lickle bumpy-boobs ? blink.gif You can't fit 99% of the bar clamps/risers without 'em lookin' silly.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:38 pm

Crikey I actually found a post of this issue, to much play in mine so need to replace.

Lee did Hammerman ever get around to you for these bushes ?.?

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users