#1 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 December 2020 - 10:10 am

Hi all,

I've checked valve clearances and quite a few need adjustment. I'm going to replace the timing chain while I'm there as its at the end of its life.
I will use an open end type chain.
Should I do chain first, then take out cams to do valves or valves first and the new chain when new shims are in?

Does it matter?

Thanks.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,744 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 10:36 am

The timing can be a bit fiddly to set up again so if you can fit the chain with the cams in situ you could then cable tie them to the chain and lift one side at a time to re shim.. wouldn't worry to much though it's all good fun.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 03:44 pm

Great idea, thanks dablik.

Tensioner was knackered too. Chain and tensioner not too bad but nearly £90 each for the guides? That's made me cough, I'll have to check out ebay.de the German site, they are a lot more reasonable.

#4 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:28 pm

Just a thought, how do you know if the guides need changing? Would you do it as a matter of course or do they last?
Bike has 53k miles on and I have no idea of history.
Chain defo needs doing as does tensioner. The easy guide at the front end does not look excessively worn, it has a lip at the edges but that looks manufactured in. Have not checked rear guide as I have to remove cams to get to it.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:39 pm

Guides should be fine if there's plenty of meat on them, they do last.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:49 pm

My guides are fine at 50k itchy.. Studley's will be even older..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 08:21 pm

Cheers guys, really do appreciate the advice and help.

🍺🍺

#8 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:45 am

Hi all,

I've checked valve clearances and quite a few need adjustment. I'm going to replace the timing chain while I'm there as its at the end of its life.
I will use an open end type chain.
Should I do chain first, then take out cams to do valves or valves first and the new chain when new shims are in?

Does it matter?

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, where can you get an open ended timing chain ?   I know that there are sources for endless ones but open ended ones ??

#9 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:48 am

Out of curiosity, where can you get an open ended timing chain ?   I know that there are sources for endless ones but open ended ones ??

ex.: https://www.ebay.co....NQAAOSwDJZb6~qS

Bjørge

#10 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:03 pm

I spent ages looking for that !  Thanks Bjørge,

Has anyone here on the forums any trepidation about using one ?

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:50 pm

Not sure....in my mind I would be playing off  choosing trust in my riveting (not too loose, not too tight), compared to the hassle of removing a side cover and oil pumps, and taking the gear wheels off the cams, if not remove the cams themselves

I can definitely see the temptation because it makes a nice simple job, just cut the old chain and pull the new one in behind it

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#12 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:22 pm

#13 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:28 pm

Ive used these before. Last time on my GPZ750 turbo. The quality chains are just that, quality. All of the stress is between the links, not sideways trying to force out the rivet. Same principle as fitting a drive chain for the first time. Im not saying you wont check it, check it and then check it again but its doable.

#14 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:50 am

Hi all,
Just a bit of an update on my rather flippant last post. The timing chain did prove a little problematic,

I got the chain from Borge Warner a reputable maker. This chain comes with one complete link removed or loose. When it came to installing it, holding the two ends of the cam chain together while trying to insert the three loose chain plates was a test of my arthritic fingers. You still have to insert the link plate with the pins on through the entire link. All this while balanced on the top of your open engine.
When I have had these previously it was just one pin that needed to be inserted and then peined over not a whole link built up. If it's difficult to follow my text, imagine a final drive chain but with 5 plates within one link opposed to the normal 2 we are used to.

I made the installation of the new link an absolute doddle after nearly dropping the chain, plates,,a few times. I fetched a rather large magnet I've had knocking around for years and built the link on that before sliding the plate with the pins on and attaching the final plate to hold it all together. Peining the pins over was easy after that.

Not as simple a job as I thought, no doubt open chains aimed at non mechanic types like me thinking it will be easier than doing the job properly.

Edited by itchyfeet2, 10 January 2021 - 10:54 am.

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:16 pm

Good idea on the magnet itchy
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:03 pm

Good job itchy. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:48 am

Not as simple a job as I thought, no doubt open chains aimed at non mechanic types like me thinking it will be easier than doing the job properly.

If it works, and it's reliable, it's done properly :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 02:16 pm

Nice one itchy, think i would have gone the endless route for me though.. i prefer the same for the final drive..

#19 itchyfeet2

itchyfeet2

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:07 am

Nice one itchy, think i would have gone the endless route for me though.. i prefer the same for the final drive..

For peace of mind that's a good shout. For me the decision was influenced by the type of lift I use on the bike. It lifts the bike from under the engine so I couldn't even drop the oil (again) without the faff of taking the bike off the stand with the engine open and cam chain held by a bungee. Also the "luck" I'm having with this bargain ebay find if I touched the oil pump cover I just knew that whole system would evaporate into dust.

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:57 am

Yep I know all about mk1 frustration and the infamous "luck" but for your info the oil pump holds up pretty well, checked mine against the specs and was fine, pretty sure a 9r pump should fit ?

If your gonna keep the bike an ABBA stand is invaluable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users