• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:50 pm

Just done my valve clearances and didn't take any notice of the routeing of the right hand ht lead when I took it apart, it's a MK2a and it seems as though it is supposed to run around the back of the fuel tank down under the battery along the swinging arm and back via the front wheel, why is it so much longer than the left and which way does it usually run?

Looks to sit way too close to the fan to me but that is how it seems to naturally run, I'm tempted to cut it down, any reason not to? It's the first time I've had the plugs out and the radiator was already off so never tried with it in situ, is that the reason for the length?

Do the leads just screw into the coils on these beasts or are they sealed in like the old jap bikes?

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#2 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:59 pm

Screw in - best to replace them anyway, they're a source of misfires. They use steel cores which rust - get some copper core from a car accessory shop and replace from coil to plug cap

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#3 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:43 pm

Cheers Dandy may just do that while the tank is off, one of the plug caps came off in my hand but screwed back on ok but didn't fancy tugging on the coil ends without checking, I have replaced leads on old Z650 coils before by drilling into the outlets and soldering new leads through the holes then epoxying the hole up but didn't fancy doing it to the tdm as my hands are not nearly as steady nowadays, screw in is nice and easy, may even have some good bits of lead at work, I know I have lots of champion/slick offcuts which have a coiled copper core that would grab a screw well but they are stainless braided outside as the aircraft ones give a full earth shield from magneto to spark plug for radio suppression which could be a problem, maybe a cutback and heatshrink would work well.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users