• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 IBZ60

IBZ60

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:20 pm

I have been watching internet sales across the various channels for the last six months or so and see that a VGC 1/2 owner low (sub 20k miles) 900 seems to be anything from £3,300 to £4,950 at a dealer, with private sales being £2,500 to £3,500. 

What would a dealer offer a private seller currently - less than £2,000 I'd guess? Does the pandemic put a damper on both dealer and private pricing?

Is there any value in holding out for a later plate model? There doesn't seem to be much difference after 8 years + that I can see.

Ex TRX rider - looking for a mint TDM900...

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:01 am

I have been watching internet sales across the various channels for the last six months or so and see that a VGC 1/2 owner low (sub 20k miles) 900 seems to be anything from £3,300 to £4,950 at a dealer, with private sales being £2,500 to £3,500. 

What would a dealer offer a private seller currently - less than £2,000 I'd guess? Does the pandemic put a damper on both dealer and private pricing?

Is there any value in holding out for a later plate model? There doesn't seem to be much difference after 8 years + that I can see.

While mileage is often a good guide, it isn't so important with such a reliable bike.

Looking at age, what benefits are there to a younger bike ? The frame doesn't corrode at all so that's not really important. The rubbing off of the frame coating down near the footpegs is probably mostly a result of mileage rather than just age.

All the usual running components, such as bearings and consumables can be replaced countless times on either an old or a new bike.

I've noticed the wheels can start to corrode, but again I think that's mileage related as much as age.

Maintenance is important in both situations, and rinsing down the bike after use will help to prevent dirt buildup and fastener corrosion.

Mechanically I haven't heard of any age related problems. Perhaps someone else has more experience that they can share.

Newer machines give more of a range of colour options I suppose, but the bike remained virtually unchanged for a long time.

Perhaps another mistake bike by Yamaha ? I once read about the FJ1100/FJ1200, in an interview with Yamaha's head of marketing where he stated that the problem with making very reliable bikes is that it affects your future sales because people hold onto reliable bikes much longer than is the average case, which means they don't consider another purchase for a much longer period of time than usual !

I just replaced every bearing on my 900 for this year's mot, it's got 1060000 miles on the clock and it's from 2002, and I know from experience with other bikes there will definitely be much younger bikes than mine which aren't as mechanically cared for. When you get down to it, things like the rear wheel axle can seize on a relatively young bike with low miles, just as easily as on an older bike, that's when maintenance and cleaning matters

Electrically, I'm in the habit of opening and closing all electrical connectors once per year, and spraying the metal contacts and pins with something like Servisol Super 10, or another contact cleaner and lubricator, or I've used Caig Deoxit which is also good, but expensive. Once I started doing this I've never had an electrical fault of any kind

In terms of the engine, lots of fresh oil frequently, and it doesn't need to be a premium brand of oil, just clean and up to the JASO standard. I've used off brand for years , 20L costing £50-£60 , so changing the oil, for example, to diagnose a clutch problem, needn't be wallet busting.

One problem on mine was removing the cylinder head coolant pipe which protrudes vertically next to the right hand spark plug was a got to remove, rather the allen bolt screwed down into the head itself, so perhaps the corrossion in that area is age related ?  It's always worth cleaning out nooks and crannies like that annually too.

Brake caliper seals are probably more age susceptible than  are affected by mileage. Not so much the seals themselves, but the corossion which builds up in the  grooves where the seals sit which push the seals hard against the piston which in turn starts to cause brake drag, because the tight piston doesn't let the pads draw back from the disc when you release the brake lever. Seal kits are cheap and it's only a couple of hours to rebuild the front calipers (plus a bit of faffing to get the system bled again)

There doesn't seem to be much steel to rot, and the original fasteners are mostly good quality, but will need replacing eventually. It's good practice to undo fasteners periodically too, even just loosening them and tightening them straight away can prevent a future seizing up of the threads. (removing them, cleaning and applying anti-seize compounds would be better, but remember to re-torque them properly.

Recently I found the threaded ferrule which closes up to the swingarm bearing had tightened right up on mine (steel in an alloy frame), which needed a bit of special attention to remove, so perhaps that's age related ? But nobody else seems to have had a similar problem, so it's perhaps just a one-off

Obviously I look at things from an owner servicing perspective, having been in machine servicing for 30 years it's just what I normally do, so I might be catching things and mending myself stuff which a dealer might not spend much time on and just charge for a replacement, but generally I don't see much on the bike which will age badly, if maintained properly.

Edited by fixitsan, 09 January 2021 - 11:03 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 IBZ60

IBZ60

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:26 am

Wow - that's super comprehensive! Will file away a copy of that guide - thanks.

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:34 am

Wow - that's super comprehensive! Will file away a copy of that guide - thanks.

:good: You're welcome

Put it this way, the mot tester pointed me to look at a 3 year old MT-09 he had in for repair and check the already rusting frame, then looked at my 900 and said 'they don't make them like this any more'

I have had to be really nit picky to find bad points for the TDM, but they're not even bad points, just things which can become little niggles if not looked at now and then, but otherwise it's not a bike I can see myself getting rid of , even if it isn't my favourite bike. With other older bikes you can find yourself thinking about getting rid of them before they become too old, but I don't see me ever doing that with a TDM900 !

#5 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:14 pm

I originally bought an '04' 9er in 2012  from Robspeed in Grimsby for £2400. It was an impulse buy of a bike I'd never even considered. I saw it, liked it, test rode it to the Humber Bridge and back and bought it!

Like most TDMs it was completely reliable - once I'd figured out why it kept stopping. The positive battery lead was loose. After that I did thousands of miles on it in both the UK and France without so much as a misfire, and topped over 55,000 miles.

Then in 2016 I saw an '09' model in the showroom of Dyrons in Leeds. It was absolutely immaculate, had  only 7236 miles on the clock, and an asking price of £3,999. I was offered £1000 for my old bike and swopped for £2,999 (which is the important bit). The wee pic on the left is me picking it up on the day I bought it.

Once again my 'new' bike has been completely reliable and again has taken me around the UK and France. In fact, except for it being a newer, lower mileage bike there was no real advantage in swopping, as both bikes look, handle, and feel pretty much the same.

So in 8 years I've spent £5,400 on two fantastic bikes which have done everything I've asked of them, and I call that cheap motorcycling by today's standards.

Riggers.

Edited by Riggers, 09 January 2021 - 01:17 pm.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:30 pm

You can always log your findings in the suppository..

http://www.carpe-tdm...e=4#entry339765
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:34 pm

Or you could save a bit of money and buy a proper TDM.......850.....just saying....I'll get my coat.

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:28 am

I'll get my coat.

I'll help you on with it. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 Kenyun

Kenyun

sticking around

• 36 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:37 pm

While mileage is often a good guide, it isn't so important with such a reliable bike.

Looking at age, what benefits are there to a younger bike ? The frame doesn't corrode at all so that's not really important. The rubbing off of the frame coating down near the footpegs is probably mostly a result of mileage rather than just age.

All the usual running components, such as bearings and consumables can be replaced countless times on either an old or a new bike.

I've noticed the wheels can start to corrode, but again I think that's mileage related as much as age.

Maintenance is important in both situations, and rinsing down the bike after use will help to prevent dirt buildup and fastener corrosion.

Mechanically I haven't heard of any age related problems. Perhaps someone else has more experience that they can share.

Newer machines give more of a range of colour options I suppose, but the bike remained virtually unchanged for a long time.

Perhaps another mistake bike by Yamaha ? I once read about the FJ1100/FJ1200, in an interview with Yamaha's head of marketing where he stated that the problem with making very reliable bikes is that it affects your future sales because people hold onto reliable bikes much longer than is the average case, which means they don't consider another purchase for a much longer period of time than usual !

I just replaced every bearing on my 900 for this year's mot, it's got 1060000 miles on the clock and it's from 2002, and I know from experience with other bikes there will definitely be much younger bikes than mine which aren't as mechanically cared for. When you get down to it, things like the rear wheel axle can seize on a relatively young bike with low miles, just as easily as on an older bike, that's when maintenance and cleaning matters

Electrically, I'm in the habit of opening and closing all electrical connectors once per year, and spraying the metal contacts and pins with something like Servisol Super 10, or another contact cleaner and lubricator, or I've used Caig Deoxit which is also good, but expensive. Once I started doing this I've never had an electrical fault of any kind

In terms of the engine, lots of fresh oil frequently, and it doesn't need to be a premium brand of oil, just clean and up to the JASO standard. I've used off brand for years , 20L costing £50-£60 , so changing the oil, for example, to diagnose a clutch problem, needn't be wallet busting.

One problem on mine was removing the cylinder head coolant pipe which protrudes vertically next to the right hand spark plug was a got to remove, rather the allen bolt screwed down into the head itself, so perhaps the corrossion in that area is age related ?  It's always worth cleaning out nooks and crannies like that annually too.

Brake caliper seals are probably more age susceptible than  are affected by mileage. Not so much the seals themselves, but the corossion which builds up in the  grooves where the seals sit which push the seals hard against the piston which in turn starts to cause brake drag, because the tight piston doesn't let the pads draw back from the disc when you release the brake lever. Seal kits are cheap and it's only a couple of hours to rebuild the front calipers (plus a bit of faffing to get the system bled again)

There doesn't seem to be much steel to rot, and the original fasteners are mostly good quality, but will need replacing eventually. It's good practice to undo fasteners periodically too, even just loosening them and tightening them straight away can prevent a future seizing up of the threads. (removing them, cleaning and applying anti-seize compounds would be better, but remember to re-torque them properly.

Recently I found the threaded ferrule which closes up to the swingarm bearing had tightened right up on mine (steel in an alloy frame), which needed a bit of special attention to remove, so perhaps that's age related ? But nobody else seems to have had a similar problem, so it's perhaps just a one-off

Obviously I look at things from an owner servicing perspective, having been in machine servicing for 30 years it's just what I normally do, so I might be catching things and mending myself stuff which a dealer might not spend much time on and just charge for a replacement, but generally I don't see much on the bike which will age badly, if maintained properly.

One million and sixty thousand miles since 2002, how many of those did you do?.... I salute you sir!

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:45 am

One million and sixty thousand miles since 2002, how many of those did you do?.... I salute you sir!

Ha ! Well done. 106000 so far, of which I've done the last 15000.02

#11 IBZ60

IBZ60

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:19 am

https://www.autotrad...ption=on&page=1

https://www.autotrad...l=TDM900&page=1

https://www.autotrad...e=1&modal=video

https://www.ebay.co....353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co....353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co....5.c100010.m2109

A selection of those that catch my eye... Any know to us here??

#12 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 January 2021 - 02:10 pm

You can always log your findings in the suppository..

http://www.carpe-tdm...e=4#entry339765

I had to read your comment twice, Dappers. At first I thought you were saying politely to stick it up your ar*e.

Edited by AliG, 11 January 2021 - 02:11 pm.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#13 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 02:20 pm

It would be interesting to know if any of these actually sell for these prices. £3k for a 2003 bike is ridiculous in comparison to a 2007 for the same money. I thought about selling one of my TDMs, but considering that the 2004 blue one with over 60k miles rides almost as well as my 2012 one with 21k, I'd be hard pressed to decide which one to let go. I would value the blue one at just under £2k and newer one at £3500. Whether I'd get those prices is another question.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#14 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,179 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:09 pm

I know where you are coming from Ali,

I will be selling mine soon, an 2007,  think about 26k miles, (valve check done during lockdown, Mr Henty)

anyway, it wants for nothing, great condition, pannier and top case racks, crash bars renthal bars, heated grips, handguards, loud horn, spotlights,

I will be looking for £2600 with standard exhausts perfect condition, (the mivv's cost £330 just over a year ago, so not giving them away too)

I think its a nice bike as good as any out there

[attachment=13896:IMG_20200815_120828006_HDR (1).jpg]

[attachment=13897:IMG_20200815_120935769_HDR.jpg]

[attachment=13898:IMG_20200815_120847521_HDR.jpg]

[attachment=13899:IMG_20200815_120912558_HDR (1).jpg]

#15 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,746 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:45 pm

There’s your mint one IBZ!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#16 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:51 pm

I will be selling mine soon, an 2007,  think about 26k miles, (valve check done during lockdown, Mr Henty)

anyway, it wants for nothing, great condition, pannier and top case racks, crash bars renthal bars, heated grips, handguards, loud horn, spotlights,

I will be looking for £2600 with standard exhausts perfect condition, (the mivv's cost £330 just over a year ago, so not giving them away too)

attachicon.gif IMG_20200815_120828006_HDR (1).jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20200815_120935769_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20200815_120847521_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20200815_120912558_HDR (1).jpg

Bargain! 

And you’ll probably regret the sale Ramo!

Fixitsan, you’ve reminded and inspired me to get into the shed and show my bikes some TLC. I’ve sort of forgotten about them this last year.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:09 am

attachicon.gif IMG_20200815_120828006_HDR (1).jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20200815_120935769_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20200815_120847521_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20200815_120912558_HDR (1).jpg

lovely lookin' steed Ramo.  Can you tell me where you bought those highway pegs please?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,179 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:19 am

Wicky

I bought them from  ebay, not the site in the link, mine were £11, seem to have gone up, I only bought them last year,

search highway pegs / BMW highway pegs

https://www.ebay.co....FUAAOSwp6xfxGXe

#19 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:18 am

Wicky

I bought them from  ebay, not the site in the link, mine were £11, seem to have gone up, I only bought them last year,

search highway pegs / BMW highway pegs

https://www.ebay.co....FUAAOSwp6xfxGXe

cheaper direct from manufacturer

https://www.aliexpre...for BMW R1200GS

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#20 IBZ60

IBZ60

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:56 am

From the last six months of watching, it seems to me that £2.5k 'ish is the selling price for low miles/near mint spec for private sales, irrespective of age. Dealers are usually starting around £3.9k then drop to £3.2k and sit and wait. I have no idea what a dealer would pay for the same bike coming in as PX (don't suppose they would buy outright at all in the current climate) - guessing £1.5k max?

Yes, Ramo, your bike hits the spot! Hopefully it will come to market when the regulations enable viewings etc!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users