13 replies to this topic

#1 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:57 pm

Well been on the site via a laptop that's much better. It's inspired me to pluck up the courage and check the valves. God help me.
So if you see a small mushroom cloud over Gloucester you'll know it's gone tits

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:14 pm

:) it's not so bad, can go swimmingly smooth or a bit frustrating, best thing you can do is cable tie the sprocks to the chain before moving if needed, good luck  :good:

Remember if replacing shims you'll only be able to get em in increments of 5 so plan accordingly..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:09 pm

Plenty of help on here esp. where tits are concerned just shout out if you get any problems. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:01 pm

Plenty of help on here esp. where tits are concerned just shout out if you get any problems. :)

or is it... plenty of tits on here esp. where help is concerned  :rotflmmfao:

As Cliff says, firmly cable tie the chain to the cam sprockets if you need to remove the cams. Makes reassembly and subsequent cam timing much easier.

Edited by Jim, 18 January 2021 - 05:05 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:05 pm

:lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:00 pm

Hi guys don't want to tempt fate but so far... Waiting on shims for the exhaust valves. Then when those are done over to the inlet side. Surprised to see shims marked 179, 181 and 186.
It all came apart. Think it was looked after before, hopefully. Now I have poor old thing.
I'm in Gloucester anybody close. Just curious.
Had a bit of banter off the guys on the VTR forum. But it's all good fun, mind you I have given a bit out in the past
Ohh btw sprokects and cam chain cable tied together. Fingers crossed 🤞☺️.
No wonder garaged avoid, lie or charge ott prices. Thankfully I am not against the clock

Edited by Dickiebig, 18 January 2021 - 10:57 pm.

#7 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:05 pm

Btw, cam chain tensioner is sooo much better than the std. VTR one. If the spring goes not ratchet to stop it giving up, hence manual conversions are advised by the forum. Did that myself and was bricking it when I pushed the starter. Lovely bike but too cramped for me and fuel consumption is highish. But the big draw back is the small tank.
I did manage a tour of Dumfries with the boys but my joint were f@@k@d for two weeks after!!!

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:46 pm

There's a lot to get out the way which is a pita, don't take long once you've done it a few times but at least you can do it at leisure for now, be a long while till the next now..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:06 pm

Your right. Just want to get it back together and hope fully not have bits left over 😂😂

#10 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:54 pm

The oddly numbers shims were probably factory fitted. Either the valves haven’t tightened up or a previous owner shifted them around to get the correct clearance on a previous service.

Edited by Jim, 20 January 2021 - 07:55 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#11 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:40 am

Well it has 37k on it came apart easy no effort and the water pipe was held in by a bolt not an Allen bolt. I'm never very confident with measuring gaps but did it over and over and the inlets were very tight and exhausts not too bad. Have done the exhaust side and waiting on inlet shims.
Treated myself to some heaters grips to so will fit them.
All ok waiting on shims

#12 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:02 am

I've seen odd numbered shims on ebay, didn't a dirt bike have the same shims?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#13 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:19 am

I would imagine there are quite a few engines using the same size shims, it'd be a hell of an outlay to use odd sizes for one engine type especially when there's so many size options to stock.

The odd numbered ones on ebay would likely be originals that have been swapped or bikeshop stock sell off.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#14 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:18 pm

Got my new shims oft the Dirtbikestore on ebay, good price, I think, and quick delivery.  Just waiting on the shims for the inlet side now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users