• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:38 am

OK Guys - A response from Yama-ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaahaaaa...
We have been getting this all wrong apparently this is a chractaristic - Its supposed to do this!!!!!! Funny I dont remember seeing this in the sales brouchure!!!!
I think it is time for ALL TDM owners to email cutomer services as below and remind them that this "charactaristic" was not in the sales brouchure and therefore does not form part of the sales contract!!
Amazin - im gonna send this one to the BBC me thinks share it with the world and let them have a laugh too....

For the Attention of Ronnie,

Thank you for your email, in relation to the clutch on your Yamaha TDM900 the details of which have been noted, for our files.

We have in this instance referred the contents of your email to our Technical staff, who have been in contact with Webbs Yamaha Centre, to discuss your concerns.

Subsequently, we can advise that the phenomenon you describe, is possibly that which is generally in keeping with other examples of your model of TDM900. As such, we would consider this to be a characteristic of this model, rather than related to any particular fault.

In view of the above, we would advise that the factory consider that no remedial action, is necessary.

However, should the symptoms change, we would kindly suggest that you re-establish contact with Webbs Yamaha Centre to further inspect you machine. They will then be in a position to report their findings to our Technical staff, for any appropriate advice and assistance.

We thank you for your enquiry and based on the above information, trust that you will have no further cause for concern.

Regards,

Customer Service
Service Department
After Sales Division
Weybridge
Surrey KT13 0UZ
Telephone:
Fax:
E-mail:
+44 (0) 1932 358030
cust.service@yamaha-motor.co.uk
www.yamaha-motor.co.uk

#22 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:41 am

QUOTE(Quilmore @ Tue 19th Jun 2012, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I curse myself... it happened today again
don't know how to get rid of it, new oil certainly makes is less likely, but I'm out of ideas

I'm really not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that when you used Lidl oil the problem disappeared, or that it didn't make a difference. I found that the high end expensive oils I used produced clutch slip and the cheaper oils I used didn't. I'm no oil expert, but maybe the sticky efficiency of the better oils cause the plates to slip and the plates fling off the humble oils quicker unsure.gif

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#23 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:47 pm

My 2003 9er occasionally squealed the clutch when taking off from the lights in a spirited manner. My 2008 model doesn't do it despite intense provocation on my part. BTW if you think that a 9ers clutch shriek is bad, then you should listen to the dry clutch on my Ducati. At tickover its almost as loud as the engine, apparently the Ducatisti call it "character".

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#24 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:58 pm

Mine does it - always has.

Tends only to be in the 1st couple of miles of a journey, and more so when it's coming due an oil change...

Having seen this conversation on more than one occasion I don't think there is any one thing that you can put it down to.

As QM said about the Ducati clutch "chatter", the squeal is just part of the TDM "character"
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#25 tdmpaul

tdmpaul

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:46 pm

i put a new set ov friction plates in my mk2 1998 a couple ov months ago with motul 10/40 semi, it squeels when i ride the clutch off the lights a bit quick and now ive got it in my head that the oil is low but never is, doing my head in now i am paranoid about the oil level even tho i have just rode 1900 miles abroad and it never used a drop of oil ! cool.gif

#26 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:50 pm

OK Gys - Here is my response to Yam Customer services - has anyone else emailed them yet? - if not please do........

Dear Mr Manley,

I am very grateful for your response however I can only conclude that you have neither ridden a TDM or owned a TDM with this problem. This is no “characteristic” as you suggest, this is a VERY loud scream when putting the clutch under any kind of load which is slightly greater than a very gently application. I cannot believe that Yamaha would design in this characteristic – it’s just ridiculous if not laughable to suggest that Yamaha would do this! It is certainly not a “characteristic” which I have seen in any sales brochure!

I have been conducting research to this problem starting with a post on CARPE-TDM owners message board (www.carpe-tdm.net). Within a few short hours there were many posts with other users complaining of the same problem to varying degrees. For your information I have attached a print of a part of the thread.

I have also discovered that this problem is not unique to the TDM clutch, apparently your FZR750/100 and YZF100 have the same issues, I can only presume a similar clutch design as the TDM.

I have also discovered (Via CARPE-TDM) a web blog from a YZF1000 owner who has modified his clutch basket, basically by drilling a series of additional holes and channels to improve the oil flow over the friction plates (please see http://homepages.par...utch/clutch.htm or http://www.factorypr...h/clutch_y.html ). His modification resolved the issue completely. This action appears very drastic and beyond my capability, but I believe that he took this action after failing to get any kind of satisfaction from Yamaha. I believe this to be a very sad incitement to Yamahas commitment to the quality of their products and customer service.

Therefore I suggest to you that given the modification to the oil flow in the clutch basket appears to resolve the problem that this issue is indeed an inherent fault to the clutch basket design and not an acceptable characteristic as you suggest.

I have copied Tim the service manager at Webbs Peterborough in on this email in order to keep my local dealer abreast of our conversation.

I would be pleased to hear what investigations Yamaha propose to fully diagnose this inherent design fault, and what remedy Yamaha would offer.

Kind regards

Ronnie

Don.Manley@yamaha-motor.co.uk [mailto:Don.Manley@yamaha-motor.co.uk] On Behalf Of Cust.Service@yamaha-motor.co.uk

Edited by Ronnie, 21 June 2012 - 06:51 pm.

#27 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:20 pm

Good correspondence but why doesn't my 900 clutch squeal if it is a characteristic? It has never squealed. My 1996 TDM850 squealed and Yamaha supplied a modified/upgraded clutch basket and plates under warranty - problem was solved way back then - but I repeat, my 900 has never squealed.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#28 TDMtiger

TDMtiger

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:33 pm

QUOTE(Ronnie @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Chaps & Chap’esses – This is my first post so please be real gentle with me. I also know that this topic has been around and debated for some time with no real solution being found. I love my 2003 900, its simply awesome – she is my first grown up bike after growing old and tired of balls out sportsbikes. Anyway yep it’s the clutch which sounds like Peter Mandleson having been peeled and chucked in a barrel of salt – you know the sound! Anyway I get it when I pull away anything other than really gently, damn near shit myself the first time I heard it! It does improve a bit when the bike warms up. Anyway I have replaced the clutch plates and changed the oil (JASO MA Shell Advance AX7) several times still no avail. I tried my local Yam dealer who called Yam Tech helpdesk, and they denied all knowledge of the problem (Liars) – so im kinda stuck what to do next. I know this is a really common problem, but there really ought to be a solution, so any up to date comments would be really appreciated. – Thanks Ronnie

Ronnie, bought my 9'er with 23k on it, cold starts or when wifey on pillion caused same awful noise.
Dealer eventually replaced all friction plates AND SPRINGS, told that when friction plates fully bed in they can become "polished", and this causes resonation when on last friction slip before clutch engages.
So, me thinks the springs as well as the clutch plates adds the bit more pressure to resolve it.
Good luck!
Two saddles, Four Wheels, 5 cylinders and mega smiles!

#29 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:38 pm

QUOTE(TDMtiger @ Thu 21st Jun 2012, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ronnie, bought my 9'er with 23k on it, cold starts or when wifey on pillion caused same awful noise.
Dealer eventually replaced all friction plates AND SPRINGS, told that when friction plates fully bed in they can become "polished", and this causes resonation when on last friction slip before clutch engages.
So, me thinks the springs as well as the clutch plates adds the bit more pressure to resolve it.
Good luck!

Thanks for comments - however new clutch plates and slings didn't help me resolve this 'charctaristic'.

#30 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:01 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Thu 21st Jun 2012, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good correspondence but why doesn't my 900 clutch squeal if it is a characteristic? It has never squealed. My 1996 TDM850 squealed and Yamaha supplied a modified/upgraded clutch basket and plates under warranty - problem was solved way back then - but I repeat, my 900 has never squealed.

I'd complain to Yamaha 'bout that Dandy ! tongue.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#31 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:57 pm

OK Guys - Here is the response from Yamaha ha ha ha...

Any ideas what I should do next???????

For the Attention of Ronnie,

Thank you for your further email, regarding your Yamaha TDM900.

Unfortunately, we are unable to recommend any non-standard modifications, that have not been subject to any relevant testing procedures at the factory.

As previously advised, should the symptoms you describe change, our Technical Service Department are available to the staff at Webbs Yamaha Centre, if required.

We thank you for your enquiry and whilst we understand that you may again be disappointed with our response, trust that you may understand our position.

Regards,

Don Manley
Customer Service
Service Department
After Sales Division
Weybridge
Surrey KT13 0UZ
Telephone:
Fax:
E-mail:
+44 (0) 1932 358030
cust.service@yamaha-motor.co.uk
www.yamaha-motor.co.uk

#32 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:08 pm

It's possible that the springs behind the basket are shagged - they are designed to cut down on gear chatter due to the firing pulses - if the basket is loose then it MIGHT encourage a clutch noise. This phenomenon is apparent in engines which are lugged around at low revs. I've seen some pretty badly worn out baskets at relatively low miles

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#33 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:18 pm

QUOTE(Ronnie @ Sun 17th Jun 2012, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have replaced the clutch plates and changed the oil (JASO MA Shell Advance AX7) several times still no avail.

When you say you've changed the oil, what do you mean? Do you mean you've changed this AX7 stuff many times or you've tried different types and brands of oil?

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#34 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:56 pm

QUOTE(muddy @ Wed 27th Jun 2012, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you say you've changed the oil, what do you mean? Do you mean you've changed this AX7 stuff many times or you've tried different types and brands of oil?

Ive tried diffrent brands of oil too - currently this AX7 stuff..................

#35 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:12 pm

QUOTE(Ronnie @ Wed 27th Jun 2012, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive tried diffrent brands of oil too - currently this AX7 stuff..................

I'm only saying, because my TDM is sensitive to certain oil. I've found I don't get any slip on using cheap semi-synth. And since I only do about 3k or less a year of gentlemanly riding and change oil yearly, cheap is win-win.

#36 Stratman

Stratman

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:26 pm

Just after I bought mine secondhand in 2006 with 13K on the clock and 6 months warranty remaining, I complained via the dealer about the clutch and the "two stage" operation. Yamaha said that 13K miles was "excessive" in 18 months and so wouldn't replace the clutch under warranty.

That said, it still does it at 35,000 miles, clutch plates are within tolerance (measured them a coupole of months ago) and it doesn't slip.

Yamaha clutches do seems like pants though!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

#37 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:30 pm

Most of the wet clutch bikes I have owned (Suzi DR600, Super Ten, Africa Twin 650 and -750, XT600 Tenere, TDM 850 and 900) have screetched a bit when pushed when the engine is still cold. What is the big deal?
My Duc ST4's clutch made a lot more reckit, BMW boxers (esp the old airheads) are a bit clattery too when pulling the clutch.
I guess it all IS characteristic?

No worries - in ten years time we will all ride electric bikes and I bet you wish you'd hear a bit more mechanical noises instead of a monotonous whine. laugh.gif
That was not a banana, Dougal

#38 MILEMUNCHER

MILEMUNCHER

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:17 pm

4 XTZ750 Super Tenere's, (one of them fitted with a TRX engine), 2 Mk1 TDM's, 1 Mk2 TDM, and my current M3 900 TDM have ALL screamed,complained,shouted squeeled,(call it what you will), when you set off like your arse is on fire.........
Either live with it,or set off like a girl (sorry Ladies)

Just remember that some folk out there are only alive because it's illegal to shoot the buggers.

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW........... X2 ;-)

Red, XTZ 750 Super Tenere, Gone,
Blue XTZ 750 Super Tenere, Gone,
Black XTZ (850 4TX Engine) Super Tenere, Gone
Dark Blue, 3VD, Gone.
Gold/Yellow, 4TX Gone
2002 TDM 900, BLACK/Dark Blue, fender extender,Ollins progressive front springs,24 L.E.D. runing lights,H.I.D. lights,Bagalux tank cover + Bag, Tall/Flip screen,12v socket on dash + 1 under seat,Scottoiler,"JBX" air-box mod, GIVI engine bars,ram mount for G.P.S.Givi tube rack + 42 Ltr boxes,Givi 42 ltr topbox,48 L.E.D.additional brake light,Avon Storm Ultra 2's, DL hand gaurds,heated grips,outlet for heated gloves/clothing,Black Lambs wool/skin seat cover

#39 Ronnie

Ronnie

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:42 pm

OK guys HOT NEWS!!! – I have fixed it!!!!!!!!! Solution = 1 x EBC HD Clutch Springs + 4L Halfords Finest 10 40 Semi Synth Lube + 1 X Sureflex Clutch Kit Including new steels! http://www.biketorqu...mahatdm900-0210 - Just completed the installation then took her out and PROPER ragged it – not a peep!! Not a cheap solution though, the Sureflex kit is about the £145 mark, but I guess it’s the high Kevlar content which sorts it out.  This worked for me – hope it works for you too…. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

#40 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:56 pm

Funilly enough, my clutch always screamed untill I fitted the Remus cans, then it stopped for 12k miles. I've now gone back to standard silencers, and there it is again.....weird !
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users