#21 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:13 pm

I was wondering how a TRX could sound and rip round track like a Moto2 bike. I was confused until a scrolled up. Nice job!

#22 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:16 pm

Sounds great. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#23 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:18 pm

snap from croft last Thursday.

z9ZmKeI.jpg

#24 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:44 pm

Blimey, I can see why drag racing appealed to me now. What tyres?

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#25 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:22 pm

Looking good Laaaaaad - more aggressive body language and eyes looking well up the road. Bit of a Carl Crashlow look through the visor   :badgerrock:

Edited by dandywarhol, 20 August 2020 - 09:33 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#26 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:39 pm

Noice
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#27 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 06:20 pm

Great photo. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#28 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 08:43 am

y'know i did used to wonder how people managed to get their knee down with a body position that doesnt upset the bike. turns out you just have to go faster...who knew.

I make no attempt to stick my knee out or hang off the bike really, if I try to do that i feel like i am fighting the bike, or Im going to fall off. If you notice for some unknown reason to me, my other leg is sticking out just as much haha. 

I've come to the conclusion that there isnt one riding style that everyone should adopt. just do whatever feels comfortable. 

I had a great time chasing the big boys in the fast group. I did a write up of the day which i will copy in shortly. it was, interesting. 

#29 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 08:53 am

brief summary:

myself and Bill were in the fast group with the plan of trying to get some uninterupted laps and get a bit of a rythm going.
I took my new bridgstone R11s along with me with the plan of starting the session on the old tyres, and if they got too far gone getting the tyre guy to fit them during the day. Tyre guy never turned up, from that point I could tell it was going to be one of those days.

session one, heavily overcast with drizzle, enough to pool on the visor, although the track was dry. tinted visor, I couldnt see a thing. then my visor started to steam up. wrote the session off 5 mins early and came in. Turns out when i washed my helmet (?)  I had inadvertantly closed most of the vents.

swapped my visor for the clear one, opened my vents and out for session 2.
The pace of the group wasnt intimidating at all, I would say I was easily mid pack in the fast group, maybe even a touch higher on this particular day.  one point to note is that everyone in the fast group has a litre bike. I think i saw maybe 2 none litre bikes the whole day. 2nd session 3 guys on R1's blasted past me on the start finish straight. I followed them into the corner, and round hawthorn, through the chicance onto the back straight I was trying to get as much power down as possible. as the bike tipped over onto the left side of the tyre i lost traction at the rear. the traction control intervened before I got the chance to and we just carried on. on the video it looks like a bit of a none event by racing standards, but it was enough to lift me out the seat. The bike certainly dug me out of a potential catastrophic high side.

so after that I was steady away, and the same for the 3rd session, then i pulled the wheels off, jumped in the van and flew across to northallerton, got my new tyres fitted, and flew back. wheels back on the bike with 5 mins to spare for start of the next session.

set away out, nearly lost the front on the first corner at a not so fast speed. shit my pants. had a rear slide on the power coming out of tower, again way slower than I would normally go through the corner, the final nail in the coffin was losing the back end tipping through the 80mph left hander that leads into the complex. my confidence was shot.  I circulated round for the duration at a pace a lower group rider would be embarrassed off, then came in.

I once heard a story that track/race tyres dont use a release compound and therefore do not need scrubbing in. might be the case with supercorsas, but definitely not with the bridgstones.  also because I was rushing, and I had no previous experience of the R11's I had a best stab at the tyre pressures.  recommended hot pressures are 23 rear and 32 hot.  I had 32 rear and 36 front.
I reset the tyre pressures ready to head out on the next session.

feeling my way round, nothing bad happened so I started to lift the pace. getting back into the 1:38s,  was feeling a bit more positive, then as I was parking the bike up I noticed my gopro had snapped off  - told you, one of those days dunno.gif
I have had loads of plastic mounts fracturing. they just cant take the pounding being attached to a track bike gives them.

last session of the day I rediscovered my mojo and got back down to the low 1:36s and I was really starting to enjoy myself.
A happy ending to the day with some interesting observations.

1. the r11's are different to the supercorsas. the front feels a lot harder, almost like run flats on a car, initally.  feel and feedback is different, but not worse. once I got used to it I think I was definitely stronger in the braking zones. I had the back end hopping about regulaly, and it was a nice feeling. I will get a photo of me looking like sam lowes one day. The scrubbing in process for them was nothing short of terrifying, especially with too much air in them.

2. The fast group isnt so bad. I found I could mix it with a lot of the guys on their litre bikes. there are some that are next level mind, however they just go straight past and are gone in seconds. its nice to see that as it shows what is actually possible! I'll be staying in the fast group from now on i think. I wasnt really holding anyone up, to be honest, because I was circulate at a speed similar to everyone else, getting over taken wasnt a very frequent occurance. all good!

3. my little game of tik tak with bill and his R1 has swung into my favour by a margin. the last session we had a lot of open track time, and I managed to catch, pass and pull away from him quite convincingly. Hes now considering buying a new bike as he thinks my custom built race bike is giving me too much of an advantage haha

4. there were a lot of red flags. that might have been just bad luck (especially for the fallers) but a lot of the faster riders were often spotted leaning against the barrier at the end of a big long scrape mark on the track. 

5. I am definitely not a racer. I know my limits, and if I get a scare like the multiple ones I did during the day, it took me until the last session of the day to get to where i was. I would like to think I am safe. I can recover from these incidednts but its by slow small incremental steps. A race team would have probably fired me long before then haha

Next track day is 18th september, looking forward to it!

Looking good Laaaaaad - more aggressive body language and eyes looking well up the road. Bit of a Carl Crashlow look through the visor   :badgerrock:

I didnt realise I had such a big nose 

Blimey, I can see why drag racing appealed to me now. What tyres?

in that photo pirelli diablo supercorsas, as used in the british supersport.

Edited by Coxylaad, 21 August 2020 - 08:49 am.

#30 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:36 am

Nice write up Coxy, thanks for sharing.  :good: After reading your previous experiences of track days over on CMC I'd say you definitely benefit more being in the fast group.  1.36's and no offs is a good day. 

#31 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 09:25 pm

y'know i did used to wonder how people managed to get their knee down with a body position that doesnt upset the bike. turns out you just have to go faster...who knew.

I make no attempt to stick my knee out or hang off the bike really, if I try to do that i feel like i am fighting the bike, or Im going to fall off. If you notice for some unknown reason to me, my other leg is sticking out just as much haha. 

I've come to the conclusion that there isnt one riding style that everyone should adopt. just do whatever feels comfortable. 

I had a great time chasing the big boys in the fast group. I did a write up of the day which i will copy in shortly. it was, interesting. 

My thoughts too - no single riding style and no single line - it's all what makes you go faster and feel safer

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#32 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:16 pm

i find it astonishing that i people are capable of dragging body parts on the floor at fairly pedestrian speeds. its a bit of an art form. 

in the corner now i dont try and get low, i just move my body to the inside and tip the bike over. the rest just happens and sorts itself out

#33 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 03:20 pm

bit of an update on the old TRX track bike project: 

Classic bike track weekend at cadwell completed. 

been a good few years since I have been to cadwell, what an awesome track it is.  Still continuing with the development of the TRX I swapped bikes with my mates, MT09 TRX (as pictured below) 
very interesting. his bike seemed longer and lower, despite looking very similar with a tape measure. 
 3NYqP5a.jpeg
Couple of takeaways - 
1) Im going to build an airbox, I didnt realise just how much 140mph flat out in 5th tucked in the bubble absolutely battered my ear drums, with earplugs in.
2) my bike seemed to have more midrange, his had a surging top end. very strange!
3) my bike turned easier than his, his bike was more stable under braking. Im going to looking modifying the frame over the winter to relax the steering head i think to get a bit more braking stability

Finally, there were few people in the classic bike fraternity who a good friend on here referred to as 'rivet counters' lodged a tongue in cheek complaint that neither mine or my mates bikes were classics as they were running the mt09 engine, and that we were 'cheating'   thin ground for that guy - nearly every bike in the paddock was modified, some with engine swaps, lots with shiny new suspension. so they are no longer classics but custom bikes. both our bikes are modified TRX's from 1996. Also it was pointed out that to be able to cheat infers that we are in some sort of competition, and as everyone knows track days are not a race...shame on him.  

Anyways with that in mind I have decided to make my TRX a lot more TRX'y  by removing the fireblade rear seat unit, and making something in keeping with the period.  I was thinking along the lines of the original TRX seat unit, but slimmed down and narrowed a touch, but having sat and thought about it I am thinking of making a hybrid between the trx unit and the rear end of the superveloce:
News-Available_MV-Agusta_Superveloce-800

my scanner needs to hurryup and arrive! 

video from the day:   

and some snaps 

yBvK00x.jpg

hTABEvv.jpg

B2mAcXW.jpg

kxuIVbK.jpg
I had some new pit crew, but i dont think its going to work out, she was way too bossy   :lol:

Edited by Coxylaad, 15 August 2022 - 08:58 pm.

#34 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:27 pm

If they are whingeing aboot the boike you must be doing summat right. ᕦ⊙෴⊙ᕤ

Enjoyed the vid.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#35 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 09:32 pm

Good vid - I always leave my indicator flashing all day too  :lol:

Did you try 6th up the hill? it seemed to almost be revving out in 5th?

#36 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 09:52 pm

Hazard warning lights haha

I did try 6th, I was shifting up at the bottom of the hill, but I wasn't sure it was any quicker. Now that I think about it I was going a fair bit quicker at the end so 6th was probably an option.

Next time!

#37 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 August 2022 - 08:29 am

Great vid. I've never been to Cadwell, or seen on bike footage from there before. It's a lot tighter than I imagined, I bet the BSB bikes are a bit of a handful around there  :rotflmmfao: . Bike looks to be going and handling well, you showed up a few of those old Japanese fours   :good:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#38 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 09:07 am

The R1 at the end was pesky. just a bit too much grunt and he was really late on the brakes. 

Check this drone footage out, the onboard stuff really flattens out the elevation on the circuit - you can really see it here:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

As circuits go its pretty spectacular

Edited by Coxylaad, 16 August 2022 - 09:09 am.

#39 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 August 2022 - 09:25 am

That looks like an awful lot of fun! Thanks for sharing :good:

I only ever did one track day many years ago, a company swmbo worked with organised it as the 2 bosses were into sport bikes so we took her old XBR500 along on a trailer as I didn't think the XT600 I was riding at the time was a good plan, she went in the slow group and I got put into the fast group, I did the classroom bit forst as I'd never done it before and by the time I got out Craig had been out with the fast boys and got himself and me dropped to the intermediate group, gotta admit it was good fun and the bike got through a litre of oil doing two groups in rapid succession.

That was at Snetterton when it was still just a short track.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#40 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 01:06 pm

That was at Snetterton when it was still just a short track.

That's cruel for a big single. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users