10 replies to this topic

#1 browncastle

browncastle

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:25 am

Hi there all!

I have recently bought a 4TX 2001 with 30.000km on the clock.

While installing heated grips I figured out that i would clean up what i thaught was old power thiefs for electrical acessories. 

It was a fair lot of unisolated cables with suspicious connectors and I went to work to clean it up.

Unfortunately, I was to eager and cut two cables togheter and shorted something.

After this the bike wouldnt start. I googled a bit and searched this forum a lot and figured that I had cut the wiring from a OEM optional alarm system called Cyclelok. 

I also found a RV99 supplementary service manual that shows connectors for the alarm system. Unfortunately, in my possesion the bike have never had this connectors, only a spaghetti look-alike with black-only cables.

I started fault finding with my multimeter and found that the fuel pump was faulty. So I changed that. I have guess-connected two of the cables togheter so the bike will now turn over and the fuel pump works.

I have spark on both cylinders, but they are a bit weak in my opinion ( no previous experience with yamaha). 

When i try to start it ticks over fine, fuel pump runs as it should and i have spark, but after a while it backfires tremendously loud out the exhaust.

Any good suggestions ?

Cheers from Norway.

Edited by browncastle, 29 September 2019 - 07:06 am.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:01 pm

Hi and welcome.  Difficult to know what's causing the backfire, it may be that the carbs need cleaning if the bike has been unused for a while.  It could also be air getting in past the inlet rubbers between the inlet and the carbs.  The rubbers tend to crack and harden over time.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 browncastle

browncastle

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:47 pm

Hi and welcome.  Difficult to know what's causing the backfire, it may be that the carbs need cleaning if the bike has been unused for a while.  It could also be air getting in past the inlet rubbers between the inlet and the carbs.  The rubbers tend to crack and harden over time.

Bike was in daily use until this happened. No running problems and very fresh fuel. I suspect faulty wiring or ignitor module. 

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:24 pm

Check your earths, make sure you have good clean grounds

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:19 am

I wonder if a coil could be on it's way out.  They can run normal then start playing up when warmed up.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 browncastle

browncastle

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:35 pm

One of the 7 black cables to the alarm system supplies constant 12 v from battery. This must be for the remote reciever. Another supplies 12v when ignition on. I wonder if this cable have to be connected to something ? Anyone that could take a look at the wiring diagram to help me ?  last page in this link http://www.journey.c...TDM850 rv99.pdf

#7 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:15 am

After you shorted something did you check all the fuses?

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#8 browncastle

browncastle

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:37 pm

After you shorted something did you check all the fuses?

Jup, signal fuse blew but replaced it.

#9 browncastle

browncastle

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:43 am

Solved, bought a used wiring loom on ebay with the oem alarm connectors and shunts intact. Works like a charm now.

#10 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:59 am

Great news. Enjoy.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:30 pm

If in doubt, swap it out. :)  Enjoy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ignition, alarm, electrical, wiring, start

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users