#1 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:43 pm

Going to find out shortly as it's going down the road!

Had Whitey 18 months or so and the oiler has never worked. Used a can, no big deal.

But with new chain and sprockets thought we should have oil all the time.

Thought the tubing was blocked so removed it from the bike,  finally oil coming through on gravity.

Today, blowing on the air vent tube could get oil coming out of the Scottoiler.

The vacuum is connected to the engine.

Still not working. Is it simply broken?

Thoughts please people

Cats

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:02 pm

I'm pretty sure sometimes parts need replacing in the Scott oiler, i mean they sell a bunch of them anyway, think i would try a good clean out 1st, i got fed up of the Scott oiler  eventually with fling all over the back wheel, i now have another system which i find much better, a twist of the top a quarter turn and it oils the chain, you can twist as often or as little as you like, not had any fling either..

Gidiall chain oiler 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:17 pm

Yeah mine packed in too so I built my own - as did Fixitsan

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:33 pm

Yes, I took one to Australia for BigBird.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:22 pm

I had a scottoiler on an NX650 and had the same problem. Eventually i stripped it all down (i was ready to chuck it anyway)and cleaned every single bit. I found the diaphragm which opens the valve was so gunked up it wasnt working. Might be worth doing the same and see if the valves flutter up and down with the bike it running. Nothing to lose if your going to launch it into orbit anyway. I have a Loobman on my 3vd now and on its fifth year of service. Much simpler.

Edited by Pedro, 11 April 2021 - 06:22 pm.

#6 DeeBee

DeeBee

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 53 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:42 pm

Best thing I did with my scott oiler was throw it away.

I have a loobman, beautifully simple, excellent value (about £20) and been on my last 2 900s, about 50,000 miles no issues.

Recommended!

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:53 pm

The unit fitted to mine wasn't working, I think because it had previously been filled with old engine oil.

From what i remember, set the control knob for maximum flow and then start the engine or suck on the vacuum tube while observing the cylinder inside the reservoir. When the vaccuum is high enough the cylinder/valve can be seen to move upwards. If that doesn't happen, the fault is probably with the vacuum/engine side connection, but the top o-ring seal can fail too.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#8 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:26 pm

As Fixitsan says, fill with oil, set to "prime", suck on the vacuum tube. If you see the valve move when you suck, the oil should start flowing.

If the valve doesn't move, you have a problem on the vacuum side. 

If the valve moves, but no oil flows, then you probably have a blockage in the Scotoiler itself, or the pipe/nozzle.

Scotoiler's trouble shooter here

I never had an issue with my Scotoiler in 14 years and over 100k miles, mind you I had the Lee Henty patented dual feed fitted. A thing of great engineering beauty and simplicity, thus, it worked :good: .

I have a shaftie now, so no need for such things  :P

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:36 pm

I'm pretty sure sometimes parts need replacing in the Scott oiler, i mean they sell a bunch of them anyway, think i would try a good clean out 1st, i got fed up of the Scott oiler  eventually with fling all over the back wheel, i now have another system which i find much better, a twist of the top a quarter turn and it oils the chain, you can twist as often or as little as you like, not had any fling either..

Gidiall chain oiler 

Watch those prices on the linkydink, the oilers are around £30 and the £15 is for a replacement bracket.  It all becomes apparent when one selects the colour required.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:41 pm

Watch those prices on the linkydink, the oilers are around £30 and the £15 is for a replacement bracket.  It all becomes apparent when one selects the colour required.

That's about what i paid for mine, not much to go wrong on them and when you consider the cost of a new Scott oiler or even replacement parts it's not so bad i dont think, then again it seems China town has hiked prices on a whole bunch of stuff along with the EU wallers..can see lots of sales being lost to China..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:46 pm

The loobman, with improved design, is about £20 delivered.  I like the idea of just twisting the top of the one you've got though.  Scottoiler is fine when it's set up properly, mine keeps getting air bubbles in the delivery tube. :(  Bloody annoying, think I need to re-route the tube.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:18 am

Best thing I did with my scott oiler was throw it away.
I have a loobman, beautifully simple, excellent value (about £20) and been on my last 2 900s, about 50,000 miles no issues.
Recommended!

I tried one - simple, for sure! It emptied the entire container in one go and went in the bin 😐
Bjørge

#13 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:38 pm

I had a small bottle under the seat on my Divvy , with the pipe work leading to the rear sprocket , gave the bottle a squeeze (when i remembered) and gravity did the rest , the scott oiler that was fitted to the TDM worked until some silly person put the wrong oil in it (me).

#14 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:51 pm

Just for you Ian :good:

https://www.aliexpre...8#2717#7559#78_

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:04 pm

Cheers Steve,  £15 delivered is much nicer. :good:

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:01 pm

Just ordered one Steve.  Works out at £17.86 delivered after paying vat. Cheers me dears. :good:

#17 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:32 am

Just ordered one Steve.  Works out at £17.86 delivered after paying vat. Cheers me dears. :good:

Let us know how it works out in about 3 months Studders. I've got a scottoiler touring res but it never worked so cant be arse putting it on the new bike. I'd prefer something nice an simple like this. 

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:51 am

Let us know how it works out in about 3 months Studders. I've got a scottoiler touring res but it never worked so cant be arse putting it on the new bike. I'd prefer something nice an simple like this. 

Works fine Lew i've had one on furra while, much less hassle than a messy scottoiler.

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:47 pm

Will do Lew, should be around 4 weeks for delivery.  first time I've bought from Aliexpress, so fingers crossed.  They do do paypal though.  Yeah, scottoilers are fine when they're working, got some air in the feed tube on mine as I hadn't set it up perfectly and it's just a pain to fart about with. :lol:

#20 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:37 am

Works fine Lew i've had one on furra while, much less hassle than a messy scottoiler.

Will do Lew, should be around 4 weeks for delivery.  first time I've bought from Aliexpress, so fingers crossed.  They do do paypal though.  Yeah, scottoilers are fine when they're working, got some air in the feed tube on mine as I hadn't set it up perfectly and it's just a pain to fart about with. :lol:

You know, for the sake of £20 I may as well just buy it, I've got a brand new Scottoiler dual injector somewhere in the garage that I could have a look at modifying to fit. Or if not, sell to cover the cost of the whole oiler  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users