• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Greco

Greco

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:47 pm

Can anyone help? Is there one that fits?

Thanks

#2 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:19 pm

QUOTE(Greco @ Tue 2nd Aug 2011, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anyone help? Is there one that fits?

Thanks

Nothing in the market that I can find, and I've looked pretty hard. There are a few here who have made there own, which is what I plan on doing.

Anyone care to post some links/photos of their homemade sump guards so we can copy them?

#3 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:43 pm

Industrial but by the Gods it works.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#4 Greco

Greco

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:17 am

.com/albums/bb310/celticbiker/SNC00127.jpg[/img][/quote]

haha industrial indeed but I bet its bulletproof smile.gif

#5 graeme

graeme

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:37 am

QUOTE(TimH @ Tue 2nd Aug 2011, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing in the market that I can find, and I've looked pretty hard. There are a few here who have made there own, which is what I plan on doing.

Anyone care to post some links/photos of their homemade sump guards so we can copy them?

Hi Tim, i cant post pics here but have put them here.
Front mount is via a hole drilled in that little plate between the headers and the rear one via a little bracket that extends from the rear exhaust mount bolt
my bash

#6 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:03 pm

reminds me I should get my finger out & finish mine before winter is here.
TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#7 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:41 pm

QUOTE(graeme @ Tue 2nd Aug 2011, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Tim, i cant post pics here but have put them here.
Front mount is via a hole drilled in that little plate between the headers and the rear one via a little bracket that extends from the rear exhaust mount bolt
my bash

Nice work Graeme! Your bike is looking very well sorted.

Celticbiker, that's something like I was thinking of - I have TKC's on my bike now and the industrial look would fit in well smile.gif I've got a longish dirt roads ride coming up in a couple of weeks (Flinders Ranges), and want some protection from gravel/rocks bouncing up and hitting the front of the cases. Was thinking of mounting a plate to the Givi engine bars, will have to see how it comes together.

This might inspire me to get the bike in the shed this weekend....

#8 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:14 am

Here's my effort:

Mounted to pipes like this

and lower plate

Should give good protection from stones flicked up from the front tyre/bouncing up from road. My goal was to provide protection to the oil filter/water pump and cases from flying stones, not from running into solid rocks/stumps, it's not stong enough for that. It's a stoneguard, not a bashplate.

This one is made from 2mm aluminium, I will make another version out of 4mm for strength/rigidity. I'll also look at a way to mount the plates to the engine bars/frame rather than the pipes, but this was the quickest, easiest and lowest profile option I could come up with, in time for a longish dirt road ride next weekend.

Edited by TimH, 21 August 2011 - 12:21 am.

#9 Greco

Greco

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:41 am

QUOTE(TimH @ Sun 21st Aug 2011, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my effort:

Mounted to pipes like this

and lower plate

Should give good protection from stones flicked up from the front tyre/bouncing up from road. My goal was to provide protection to the oil filter/water pump and cases from flying stones, not from running into solid rocks/stumps, it's not stong enough for that. It's a stoneguard, not a bashplate.

This one is made from 2mm aluminium, I will make another version out of 4mm for strength/rigidity. I'll also look at a way to mount the plates to the engine bars/frame rather than the pipes, but this was the quickest, easiest and lowest profile option I could come up with, in time for a longish dirt road ride next weekend.

I like the fact that it can be quickly removed as well with just those clamps. Are they aluminium again?

#10 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:48 am

Nice Knobbolies biggrin.gif

#11 sgt

sgt

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:39 am

Your sump guard is an inspiration!! Although technically, is it a sump guard? I thought the TDM 900 had a dry sump as well, so you're not guarding the sump. Rather call it a bash plate or something. Haha, am I being very nitpicky smile.gif

#12 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:23 pm

QUOTE(Greco @ Sun 21st Aug 2011, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the fact that it can be quickly removed as well with just those clamps. Are they aluminium again?

Yes, easy removal was also a goal, especially for oil changes, but so it can be taken off when doing purely bitumen road rides. It's a little fiddly, but it's only 4 bolts in total. It needs a Nutsert in the connecting tab between the pipes (lower front mount) as it's very hard to get that nut on. The brackets are mild steel, as that's what I had laying around, plus I had to weld the nuts on to the lower brackets and I can't weld anything else. It would be better to get an engineering shop to make them out of stainless, but this was mostly a DIY job.

QUOTE(LewisBlackburn @ Sun 21st Aug 2011, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice Knobbolies biggrin.gif

We'll see how they go next weekend - 2000 or so kms of pretty much all gravel and dirt roads (some sand), riding with a couple of guys on WR400's... I've heard good and bad things about the TKC's, so time and miles will tell.

QUOTE(sgt @ Sun 21st Aug 2011, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your sump guard is an inspiration!! Although technically, is it a sump guard? I thought the TDM 900 had a dry sump as well, so you're not guarding the sump. Rather call it a bash plate or something. Haha, am I being very nitpicky smile.gif

Heh heh.... maybe it's a dry sump guard? tongue.gif Actually, it's a case guard, the water pump and oil filter cover and clutch cover all need protecting as well. I can't really call it a bash plate, as if I do actually bash it on something it will damage the pipes. It will protect them somewhat by spreading the load out, but a really solid hit will still do some damage. It's a compromise between protection and aesthetics and ease of construction.

#13 sgt

sgt

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:43 am

QUOTE(TimH @ Mon 22nd Aug 2011, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heh heh.... maybe it's a dry sump guard? tongue.gif Actually, it's a case guard, the water pump and oil filter cover and clutch cover all need protecting as well. I can't really call it a bash plate, as if I do actually bash it on something it will damage the pipes. It will protect them somewhat by spreading the load out, but a really solid hit will still do some damage. It's a compromise between protection and aesthetics and ease of construction.

Well put... I'm also planning to build one for my Mk1. First step is to put together crash bars (based on some old tube crash bars we found), and have the welder help me put it on and modify it. Once we got that sorted, we can make a cardboard template of the "case guard", to see how it will fit etc. At this point your case guard has definitely been an inspiration, e.g. the way you attached the guard around the pipes in front.

#14 merlot

merlot

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:18 am

looks like youll have the weather for it tim rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif just need a little overnite rain to keep the dust down but the days are perfect...have a good one dry.gif dry.gif
he who dies with the most toys wins

#15 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:23 am

A much-discussed topic - check past postings.

"AJ" from Singapore found that a Transalp 650 part could be modified to give some protection:

That plastic is pretty tough - I once dropped a Transalp, and the handguard (made of the same stuff) took the full impact on its edge with just a small scuff. From AJ's account, the heat resistance seems OK too.

Edited by Pict, 22 August 2011 - 10:18 am.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#16 Greco

Greco

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:28 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Mon 22nd Aug 2011, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"AJ" from Singapore found that a Transalp 650 part could be modified to give some protection:

That plastic is pretty tough - I once dropped a Transalp, and the handguard (made of the same stuff) took the full impact on its edge with just a small scuff. From AJ's account, the heat resistance seems OK too.

And is this pic from a 900? Sorry can't tell

#17 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:48 pm

QUOTE(Greco @ Mon 22nd Aug 2011, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And is this pic from a 900? Sorry can't tell

Yuss. More of AJ's pics:

full cleaner picture.

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#18 Greco

Greco

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:52 pm

Excellent thanks - any idea what length screen is the one he has on the bike as well?

Edited by Greco, 22 August 2011 - 07:52 pm.

#19 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:31 pm

QUOTE(Greco @ Mon 22nd Aug 2011, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent thanks - any idea what length screen is the one he has on the bike as well?

Yamaha tall touring screen afaik.

Not sure if AJ is still around but you could try to PM him for bashplate cutting/fitting details. Failing that, he's posted some of it already.

Edited by Pict, 22 August 2011 - 09:56 pm.

#20 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:40 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Mon 22nd Aug 2011, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, much discussed... but it can be hard to find this sort of thing so I can understand why there was a new thread created. I'm not sure any of the bashplate/sumpguard threads I've seen are complete enough to warrant including in the Knowledgebase, but perhaps a thread with links to all the other threads would be useful? It could include links to all the which crash bar threads too...

The problem with the modified Transalp plate solution for me was finding a Transalp plate. Couldn't see any point in buying a new one and hacking it up, and couldn't find any used ones. Anyway, building it is all part of the fun biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users