#21 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:27 pm

You shouldn't need one if all you're doing is replacing the clutch plates as you don't need to remove the boss or boss nut. :)  The universal tool holds the boss so you can remove the nut.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#22 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:54 pm

You shouldn't need one if all you're doing is replacing the clutch plates as you don't need to remove the boss or boss nut. :)  The universal tool holds the boss so you can remove the nut.

13 words in and reality struck. :rolleyes:

While I was reading the manual (re-install bit) I wondered why you'd do the boss nut before the plates, and then realised...don't know why it took so long to actually realise what I was asking on here was the same thing I'd already worked out...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#23 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:11 pm

Was about to say that I think ewe mean a holding tool. I made mine out of a cake trolley!!!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:37 pm

Minus the cake I hope. :cake eating:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 AlanG

AlanG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:56 pm

Changed mine on a 850. I changed the lot, friction plates, metal plates, springs, release bearing. Other things to check is wear on the basket tangs. Make sure markings on plates are all the same way round. Not sure about 900 spec ?

#26 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:01 pm

Interesting thread !

I recently serviced my 850 and since then the gear change from 1st to 2nd is clunky and sometimes difficult in the sense it just pops into neutral so I have to shift again

I used the correct oil so would it be fair to say there is some clutch wear ?

Edited by JMC, 13 February 2017 - 08:01 pm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#27 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:56 pm

Interesting thread !

I recently serviced my 850 and since then the gear change from 1st to 2nd is clunky and sometimes difficult in the sense it just pops into neutral so I have to shift again

On the 850 I believe this can mean something else - but someone will confirm

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#28 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:18 pm

With the 850 problem, it's generally the mk1 slipping out of 3rd gear or slipping in 3rd gear.

Interesting thread !

You could try adjusting the gearchange lever rod if there's excess play there.  You could also check it's not worked loose.  Might also be worth checking the drivechain slack is correct.

#29 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:12 pm

With the 850 problem, it's generally the mk1 slipping out of 3rd gear or slipping in 3rd gear.

You could try adjusting the gearchange lever rod if there's excess play there.  You could also check it's not worked loose.  Might also be worth checking the drivechain slack is correct.

I'll double check everything at the weekend when I've more time hopefully it's something simple as you suggest  :good:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#30 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:36 pm

Update on 

Update on this: The gear change lever was about 5mm out of alignment and it's perfect now after the correction, did not realise such a small adjustment on it would make such a difference !

Hunter S. Thompson.

#31 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:02 pm

:good:  Think I had a similar crunchy gear change due to incorrect adjustment.  Glad you're sorted. :)

#32 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:15 pm

Also - while on the subject of cables - whats the best thing to lubricate the cable itself, and how do people do theirs...?

I use a piece of old fuel hose that fits snugly around the outside of one end of the outer part of the cable. Then I dribble a little engine oil in the end of the fuel hose and with the gun from my compressor pressed firmly into the end of the fuel hose, I very gentle apply a little pressure until the oil comes out the other end. Takes seconds and you can even do this with something like WD40 if you want to wash the cable out first. I've not found a faster way yet.

#33 m471c

m471c

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:17 pm

Hello guys...i'm quite new to this TDM 900 forum and have a question...i have owned several bikes and race them for few years, but got tired and settle down with a bike that works and doesn't give me a headache, I'm quite a technical guy but there is a problem i need some explaining about...
Few weeks ago my clutch started to slip a little, since i have this bike for only 4 month and is has at least 70.000km on it, I thought the clutch was worn out...But when i opened it, was a shock...

kupla.jpgimage hosting 10mb limit

The first and the last friction disc has been scattered and shredded...the clutch still operated, but those two discs have not been whole (1/4 of a disk has been broken and thrashed around)... all friction and metal disc were in specs as written in manual... So i manage to get new parts put them together according to service manual...the bike runs fine...

but i still wonder how did it come to this...okay maybe i did pop some wheelies but nothing drastic...nothing indicated in clutch that have might been overheating or else... so any of you got any ideas ?

#34 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:28 am

Hello guys...i'm quite new to this TDM 900 forum and have a question...i have owned several bikes and race them for few years, but got tired and settle down with a bike that works and doesn't give me a headache, I'm quite a technical guy but there is a problem i need some explaining about...
Few weeks ago my clutch started to slip a little, since i have this bike for only 4 month and is has at least 70.000km on it, I thought the clutch was worn out...But when i opened it, was a shock...

kupla.jpgimage hosting 10mb limit

The first and the last friction disc has been scattered and shredded...the clutch still operated, but those two discs have not been whole (1/4 of a disk has been broken and thrashed around)... all friction and metal disc were in specs as written in manual... So i manage to get new parts put them together according to service manual...the bike runs fine...

but i still wonder how did it come to this...okay maybe i did pop some wheelies but nothing drastic...nothing indicated in clutch that have might been overheating or else... so any of you got any ideas ?

Hi m471c!

I do not believe in overheating. Discard.
1) It may have a spacer ring twisting.
2) Or some small piece broke loose, out of fatigue or defect, and entered between the discs.
3) The sixth forks may be grooved, securing the (square) guide end of the disc, causing it to break during the movement of separating and joining the discs.

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#35 m471c

m471c

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:33 pm

Tnx for answering...no.2 is probably the correct answer i think :D thou the forks have some signs of wear but they are far from disabling the disc or locking them in improper position...maybe someone changed the inner plates and just used old outer plates...i guess it was something previous owners screwed up...

So as far as i'm concerned right now there shouldn't be problems from now on, right ? anyhow i'll just ride it and see what happens ;) 

Cheers!

#36 Wimpy

Wimpy

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:27 pm

Hi Guys

Can anyone point me in the direction of the procedure to replace the clutch plates on a 9er. and what tools i will need I have not attempted anything like this before.

Cheers guys / gals

#37 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:42 am

You find the manual here: https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=DOC

I never changed it myself, but .... You don't need a lot of tools. Something for locking the clutch basket, but a helper sitting on bike in 1st gear and brakes applied may do the deal (? anyone ?).

Seen some times to soak friction plates in oil for a while before installing.

Bjørge

#38 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:59 am

Do work with the bike on the sidestand (retains oil in bike).

New gasket needed.

No special tools or force required.

Pay attention to actuating arm angle.

Read the manual before you begin so you are more confident.

Below in red = not required unless you're doing more than plates.

HTH

You find the manual here: https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=DOC

I never changed it myself, but .... You don't need a lot of tools. Something for locking the clutch basket, but a helper sitting on bike in 1st gear and brakes applied may do the deal (? anyone ?).

Seen some times to soak friction plates in oil for a while before installing.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#39 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:26 pm

Not a good idea to lube a nylon coated cable. Check the outer cable for damage - if the plastic outer sheath is broken then the outer cable trys to compress itself and the clutch cannot free properly

Edited by dandywarhol, 16 October 2019 - 06:28 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#40 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:52 pm

Not a good idea to lube a nylon coated cable. Check the outer cable for damage - if the plastic outer sheath is broken then the outer cable trys to compress itself and the clutch cannot free properly

Randyborehole,   can ya explain that some more please as i don't understand it.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users