168 replies to this topic

#161 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:12 pm

I've just done full seals and bush kit on mine not a hard job but the smelly onion water is rough lol 😂😂😂

#162 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:26 am

QUOTE(Bjørge @ Fri 9th May 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi !

I am experiencing the exact same problem today, only the part number is a bit different. I got seals numbered 5VU-23145-00, seemingly belonging to a FZ1000 or something like that. They don't fit, being too thick. Goning to my dealer tomorrow, a bit angry - my teflon bushings lasted the first dismantle, but not the second one ranting.gif

How did the 2006 story end (if you're still a tdm'er) ?

Bjorge

there are apparently 3 different sized fork seals listed for the 3VD 91-95 TDM dry.gif
wish i'd written down the part number i used as it appears to be the right one hidden.gif

Oh that's a long thread innit, well i have the tool in hand to refit new seals BUT according to Tony 5VU-23145-00 seals which is what Fowlers have sent me are to thick to fit so, has anybody managed to change theirs with this same seal since this thread, do we know if thems to big or not, if not where you getting new seals from, or am i gonna be the guinea pig !!

Think maybe i'll dig out the old seals, dunno if i slung them yet and measure up..

Edited by dablik, 27 September 2019 - 04:53 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#163 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:41 pm

Found the old seals which measure up close enough to be the same as the the current supplied seals, in fact code number on the seal is identical, not sure why they would'nt fit for Bjorge, these old seals came out of Big Red's fork for them what remembers, course could of been a different set i spose, so i cant see why the new ones wont fit, forgot to order furkin oil so let ya know.

New on the right

Attached File  20190928_164033.jpg   175.6KB   0 downloads

Edited by dablik, 28 September 2019 - 04:44 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#164 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:44 pm

Never heard of diff sized seals. Always got 3vd juans and always fitted. Have used both OEM and aftermarket. Hmmm can have a dig when I'm back and see if any bags with part numbers on
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#165 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:51 pm

Well them above is the same part number as supplied in 2008 daps, so the letters were superceded yonks ago and part number remained the same, it's common on here for OEM seals to be recommended for a new fit but i wonder if the issue you mentioned re which way up the washer sit's makes any difference, Matlock fitted Wemoto seals to his xtz and it's all good, anyhoo i reckon they should'nt be problematic, hoho.

Edited by dablik, 28 September 2019 - 04:52 pm.

#166 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:56 pm

Ahhh I see the thread you is on about. Depth of seal? Have fitted both. As long as retaining ring fits no bodder. Dunno when change happened.

Big red forks. I rescued the set that went in Gs boike when Tony started parting it out...so the forks in there when you got it were not mine. Xx

Can't see pics well but neither of them look loike the deep seal where the outer edge is full height and the lip is internal.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#167 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:57 pm

I'm just about ready for doing the seal change using the Bjorge method.  Do I need to take all the fork gubbinziz out afore filling with oil and then squashing ?  Or could I just remove the cap, fill to top with oil, replase cap and squish ?

Is there a separate topic on the oil fill method ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#168 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:11 pm

In this ear thread the one and only bjorgey outlines the procedure. I thought it was somewhere else too but didn't find so ear is copy and paste of his destructions

Well, I finally got to change it - with original seals. Don't know what it has been all about, but there it was.
(see also this thread: http://www.carpe-tdm...o...=12781&st=0)
Now - the important part is the method:

1. Remove spring
2. Extend the tube fully
3. Fill it all up with oil (you need to add few decilitres, less than half a litre, though)
4. Reenter fork cap and tighten by hand
...you do now have a quite rigid suspension.... style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/mellow.gif
5. Tie a load strap around the fork (lengthways, dummie !) and inser a car jack under the strap at the bottom of fork
6. Tighten strap
7, Extend jack until seal pops out
8. Clean up mess (it won't be very much oil around, but it's hard to avoid 100%)

No big pooooppp!, just a little "blip" just as pressure is relieved (remember, oil isn't compressed, so very little oil has to expand out of opening). That's the idea about not trapping any air inside it - would cause a ssssplash of oil....

Good luck !

Edit: found bjorgey thread

http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1

#169 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:52 pm

You're a star. :good:  Will be giving this a go tomato using a frame wot me bro knocked up.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users