Photo
- - - - -

TDM850 £2,400 (Yes - the 00 0n a Y plate)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Brummie

Brummie

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:32 am

So my TDM goes to the Triumph dealer on Monday........

May I bid you all a fond farewell. Owning a TDM was a great experience and being part of the Carpe community an honour and privilege. About the only comfort I have leaving the fraternity, is that owning a Triumph Bonneville America is probably as exclusive as owning a TDM and will turn as many heads, but I'll miss the speed and handling.

Many of you won't beleive this but it's true....

The ill health that has prevented me from getting more from the TDM and prompts me to get a lower slower bike, was in fact cancer of the oesophagus. I had an oesphagectomy last October and am on the road to recovery. Still a long way to go (I have about a 12% chance of seeing the next world cup !) For anyone out there with the big C, be positive, don't give up and give it hell !

Sadly, as well as me having cancer, my wife of 33 years died from cancer of the liver in February at the age of 54, 5 days after being diagnosed. We met when she was 15 so you can imagine how devestated I am, we had so many unfulfilled plans.

So you will understand when I say "if you do it today you MIGHT regret it, if you CAN'T do it tomorrow you WILL regret it".

I have taken early retirement now and intend to get on with my life and enjoy it as much as I can, so I am planning to do some long distance continental touring but health insurance will be a bit of a problem !

Just remember - it could always be worse - I wish you all health wealth and happiness for the future.

I'll drop by now and again to see how you all are doing.

Adios Amigos.................

Edited by Brummie, 14 July 2006 - 02:02 am.

#2 nitram

nitram

Carpe groupie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:45 pm

QUOTE(Brummie @ Tue 11th Jul 2006, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So my TDM goes to the Triumph dealer on Monday........

May I bid you all a fond farewell. Owning a TDM was a great experience and being part of the Carpe community an honour and privilege. About the only comfort I have leaving the fraternity, is that owning a Triumph Bonneville America is probably as exclusive as owning a TDM and will turn as many heads, but I'll miss the speed and handling.

Many of you won't beleive this but it's true....

The ill health that has prevented me from getting more from the TDM and prompts me to get a lower slower bike, was in fact cancer of the oesophagus. I had an oesphagectomy last October and am on the road to recovery. Still a long way to go (I have about a 12% chance of seeing the next world cup !) For anyone out there with the big C, be positive, don't give up and give it hell !

Sadly, as well as me having cancer, my wife of 33 years died from cancer of the liver in February at the age of 54, 5 days after being diagnosed. We met when she was 15 so you can imagine how devestated I am, we had so many unfulfilled plans.

So you will understand when I say "if you do it today you MIGHT regret it, if you CAN'T do it tomorrow you WILL regret it".

I have taken early retirement now and intend to get on with my life and enjoy it as much as I can, so I am planning to do some long distance continental touring but health insurance will be a bit of a problem !

Just remember - it could always be worse - I wish you all health wealth and happiness for the future.

Shit, that's a sad story, so sorry to hear of your loss ans suffering you are going through and have gone through. Just cos you are selling the TDM don't mean you have to be a stranger.
Enjoy the trumpet and enjoy the rest of your time.
My Dad had the same cancer as yourself so I know (well remotely of course) what you are going through.

Edited by nitram, 14 July 2006 - 07:47 pm.

#3 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:29 pm

QUOTE(Brummie @ Tue 11th Jul 2006, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enjoy your new bike & your new adventures.
All the best.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#4 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:32 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Fri 14th Jul 2006, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Enjoy your new bike & your new adventures.
All the best.
TAM

Ditto the above... and Carpe is for TDM owners and former owners. Don't be a stranger.

Besides, we want to see the new bike! good.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#5 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:11 am

hello brummie, the TRIUMPH's are nice bikes, I like the 'speedmaster' which is similar to what you're getting, only with cast wheels.
I wish you the best of luck now and in the future.

liaw
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#6 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:50 pm

Good luck Brummie, whatever you decide. Ride safe.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Nothing to add, has it all. :)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

In bits. :huh:

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:13 pm

good luck Brummie, i get the impression your going to do and see alot more than most of us, and you have probably seen alot more already than most of us would ever want or need to see. The very best of British and Irish luck to ya good.gif and remember Sonny Barger (head honcho of the Hell's Angel's) had a similar illness to yourself and he came out the other side of it and he still "lives to ride". Wick

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 Brummie

Brummie

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:11 pm

Thank you all for your messages of sympathy and best wishes. It is a great comfort knowing that I will never be alone as long as Carpe TDM exists.

I'm having serious doubts about trading in the TDM now !

On a brighter note, the fact that they were able to remove the whole tumour and it hadn't spread, ensured that I was one of the 8% to survive the first year. It also means that I have a very good chance of being in the 12% that survive 5 years. Those who don't make it, either didn't have surgery, or the cancer had spread to other parts.

Thanks Again - and I promise to put future posts in the right forum!

#9 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:06 am

QUOTE(Brummie @ Tue 18th Jul 2006, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you all for your messages of sympathy and best wishes. It is a great comfort knowing that I will never be alone as long as Carpe TDM exists.

I'm having serious doubts about trading in the TDM now !

On a brighter note, the fact that they were able to remove the whole tumour and it hadn't spread, ensured that I was one of the 8% to survive the first year. It also means that I have a very good chance of being in the 12% that survive 5 years. Those who don't make it, either didn't have surgery, or the cancer had spread to other parts.

Thanks Again - and I promise to put future posts in the right forum!

keep the TDM and get a TRIUMPH good.gif

#10 Brummie

Brummie

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:16 am

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Wed 19th Jul 2006, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
keep the TDM and get a TRIUMPH good.gif

Just dropped by to post a few pics of my beloved TDM and her replacement. Love the Triumph but missing the TDM already !

#11 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:29 am

so what is the TRIUMPH like to ride then, is it the comfy relaxed ride you hope it would be, good looking bikes in those pictures.

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:51 pm

that Trumpet is gorgeous ! Hey Brummie what brand of crashbars didya have fitted to yer TDM ??? Renntec by any chance ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 dbninja

dbninja

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:38 pm

Brummie
you are a star mate! live every single day like its your last!
i sure as hell do, i had 3 lots of massive abdominal surgery, took away half my bowl,large and small intestine and a bunch of other stuff,ended up with a colostomy fer 2years and i have to take a pill or two every day.......

EIGHT YEARS AGO good.gif

did something i never dreamed i would be able too and rode my TDM round the coast of Great Britain last year! 3200miles in 8 days......... not bad fer a really sick bloke who nearly died twice yahoo.gif

and all you "WELL" people take a long hard look at the way it is? don't take it for granted boyz n girls!
always be a nice person! with a bit of luck it might rub off on those around you

philasophical...... me? B*LL*CKS!!!!!! just love life too much

db
"I dont bleat with the other sheep! ... I ride a GS1150"

#14 Brummie

Brummie

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:47 pm

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Sun 13th Aug 2006, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so what is the TRIUMPH like to ride then, is it the comfy relaxed ride you hope it would be, good looking bikes in those pictures.

It's a nice relaxed ride but no where near s comfortable as the TDM. The problem is that on the TDM your weight is distributed across your butt and the backs of your thighs. The feet forward position of the Triumph puts all your weight on the base of your spine. It's a good job it only does 120miles on a tank (+3 ltr reserve) - you sure look forward to the break for petrol !

Nice cruising at 70, but lack of screen makes it tiring for any speed for more than 10 mins above that. Being a parallel twin, the engine feels and sounds like the TDM - less 20 bhp !

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 13th Aug 2006, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that Trumpet is gorgeous ! Hey Brummie what brand of crashbars didya have fitted to yer TDM ??? Renntec by any chance ??

They were on when I bought it but they are identical to the Renntec ones. As the saying goes.... If they look like Renntec, feel like Renntec.....they probably are Renntec !

The Triumph salesman was an ex TDMer and he fell in love with the bike. He took it home for the weekend. It's for sale at Action Triumph Redditch if anyone is interested.

Got a manual, Baglux tank cover and tank bag + the original screen if anyone wants to pay the postage or collect them.

#15 Brummie

Brummie

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:59 pm

QUOTE(dbninja @ Sun 13th Aug 2006, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brummie
you are a star mate! live every single day like its your last!
i sure as hell do, i had 3 lots of massive abdominal surgery, took away half my bowl,large and small intestine and a bunch of other stuff,ended up with a colostomy fer 2years and i have to take a pill or two every day.......

EIGHT YEARS AGO good.gif

did something i never dreamed i would be able too and rode my TDM round the coast of Great Britain last year! 3200miles in 8 days......... not bad fer a really sick bloke who nearly died twice yahoo.gif

and all you "WELL" people take a long hard look at the way it is? don't take it for granted boyz n girls!
always be a nice person! with a bit of luck it might rub off on those around you

philasophical...... me? B*LL*CKS!!!!!! just love life too much

db

Your an inspiration to me mate - NEVER give up. Eight years .........- I can make it !

This life isn't a rehersal, it's the real mcCoy! you only get one shot at it.

If you do it today - you MAY regret it. If you CAN'T do it tomorrow you WILL regret it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users