Photo
* * - - - 2 votes

1977 Honda Cb550 A Tale Of Lies, Engineering Incompetence And Fraud.

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:29 pm

he's at 86 The Slade, Daventry, NN11 4HP. Telephone 07840014266, give him a ring, he probably won't answer!

Is this the same guy that's collecting stool samples for the WHO? Just sayin.......

A shoe box full posted would do it. :groucho:

P.S. I'm sure it's illegal to post your turds to someone, I'm not suggesting you actually do it. (but I won't tell)

Can we add a new smiley just for blokes like this? icon_smile_8ball.gif

Edited by Snowbird, 18 June 2020 - 04:31 pm.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#22 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:15 pm

This one annoyed me, vacuum port screws made from sawn off other screws, no tidying the cut end. Replaced with M5 x 8 mm stainless cap screws with copper seals.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#23 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:21 pm

Nice one Lee - I suspect that you are in danger of becoming known as LoveleeHenty :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#24 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:30 pm

Front brake pipe has a metal section which looks new but has the unions rounded off.
It looks offensive. Has the guy never used proper brake pipe spanners ?
I can make a new pipe and unions,the thread is M10x1.25 not exactly a common brake union size these days.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#25 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:07 pm

OMG, just catching up with this.

Used to love watch Pete on the show, just typical that's all it was, a show

Well done Lee for stepping up and sorting out the bike. top man  :good:

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#26 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:40 pm

Well TV programs of people like me using lathes and stuff, probably wouldn't be interesting to the general public.
Too much talking, not enough actually doing it.
I have very high standards. If it's not perfect it just won't do.
They want a show made in a limited time frame, they don't have the time to make things perfect.
Unfortunately it's carried over into his business where it doesn't cut the mustard.

#27 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:07 pm

Pete certainly needs a Bang in the Puss !
Get as much of your money back first though !
The Bike looks good despite what he's done / not done
Hopefully this Saga won't stop you from enjoying the Bike once Lee has made it safe to ride

ps
If you do get the chance to Bang his Puss wear armoured gloves- no point in damaging your hands
or you could always use a sub-contractor

#28 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:17 pm

OMG, just catching up with this.

Used to love watch Pete on the show, just typical that's all it was, a show

Well done Lee for stepping up and sorting out the bike. top man  :good:

Well I didn't want to see a grown man cry

I have been aware of this saga from day one when we delivered the bike, but even I am horrified having read the story in detail. Nice bit of prose, by the way, Chris.
Full marks to Lee. You really are a master craftsman, every bit as much as Mr Henty senior was. Ali

My Dad would have been disgusted but then he would have got stuck in. He liked old Honda's he had a CB200 many years ago, still got the tank badge in workshop.

Edited by leehenty, 18 June 2020 - 09:18 pm.

#29 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:04 pm

feel for you mate, what a total shiiiite the man is

#30 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:20 pm

Just had a reply from Thorne “ I am sure the problem is rust or muck in the fuel tank” He is also “annoyed that you have taken it elsewhere”

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#31 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:31 pm

Good luck with getting your money back. Bastards like this need putting out of business.

Wonder if you can sue that smug twat who recommended him? 

#32 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:23 am

IMHO TV should display a warning every time it is switched on - " You are watching TV!  Please Suspend Reality"

Improbability Drive returning to Normal ;)

Edited by Favs, 19 June 2020 - 06:24 am.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#33 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:46 am

Good luck with getting your money back. Bastards like this need putting out of business.

Wonder if you can sue that smug twat who recommended him? 

If only. I just can't watch that guy on tv, despite the fact that he hosts one of the few motorbike-related shows.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#34 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:03 am

IMHO TV should display a warning every time it is switched on - " You are watching TV!  Please Suspend Reality"

Improbability Drive returning to Normal ;)

A fellow Douglas Adams fan

Just had a reply from Thorne “ I am sure the problem is rust or muck in the fuel tank” He is also “annoyed that you have taken it elsewhere”

I thought the idea was a full restoration, not just polish the bits that show and give it back. TV isn't real.

#35 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:48 am

Sometimes things can work the other way around too. Without boring you with the details, I recently sold my VFR400R NC24. Lovely bike, mechanically perfect and well on the way to being cosmetically smart too. There were a few issues which I'd not got around to restoring so I mentioned these in the ad. There was a bidding war between two punters and bike sold for a really good price so I was well pleased. The guy that bought it came around to collect it and moaned right from the off before he'd even had a chance to examine it so I thought something was a bit odd. He took delivery of the bike and took it away and later in the day rang back with a list of things he wasn't happy about. Fortunately most were covered by my ad description as well as being backed up by myself with further commentary when he collected it. The only thing that I'd not identified was that the mirrors were not the original ones not that I'd ever said that they were. He suggested he'd be more than happy if I'd refund a chunk of cash and it was then that I realised what the REAL problem was. After getting caught up in the excitement of the bidding process and winning the auction he'd realised that he'd paid over the odds and was trying to recoup a few bob. It left a bad taste as I'd done everything to give an honest description of the VFR. 

I'm sorry to hear about your problems Chris, you did right to expose Mr Thorne as a crook. I've got a 1973 CB500/4 so not as sophisticated as your 550 but I love it.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#36 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:19 pm

Fingers crossed you get some of your money back, i feel absolutely gutted for you...
I think you should get trading standards involved

#37 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:52 pm

I've fallen in love with bits from Classic Bike Fasteners. CNC and polished stainless. Gets rid of the current carbuncles

Edited by leehenty, 19 June 2020 - 07:16 pm.

#38 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:21 pm

So if you're a "professional restorer" you ought to know the difference between a tach cable and a speedo cable. One has a metal nose 15.20 mm diameter the other has only 13.80 mm diameter. Obviously you can't fit a tacho cable in a Speedo gearbox but you can the other way round...

#39 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 June 2020 - 12:06 am

Did he do a bike for Coleman ? I imagine if he did that a bike in Coleman's league would be more profitable to spend time on.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#40 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:39 am

Carbs are coming along nicely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users