Photo
- - - - -

Insurance For A Repaired Write Off Bike.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:01 pm

All - my insurance company have written off my bike. I can repair it but wanted to find out if anyone knows of insurance companies that insure write offs. It's basically uneconomical to repair - plastics and exhaust damage. I think they've undervalued it (like they often do) as I can't get a replacement for less that £3k and they're offering £2550 (2008, 34k miles). 

So I've decided  to buy the salvage and repair myself - they want £680 for it. I have an exhaust and just need to buy the left hand fairing and front mudguard. I've managed to repair the rest with a bit of plastic welding.

If I can't get insured then I have a track day bike but I'd sooner get it back on the road.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:11 pm

Dunno if it's the same as Brum brums but Tishabelle bought her car in 2014 at auction written off as cat D. All fixed up now and never had an issue insuring.

Might be worth a call around a few places if no one comes back with direct boike experience.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 oldman

oldman

seems to like Carpe

• 78 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:45 pm

Cat d is not a problem,they don't like cat c .Hope this is helpful.

#4 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:55 pm

Thanks guys

#5 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:24 pm

Not usually a problem. The attached might help.

https://www.adrianfl...ry-d-insurance/

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:25 pm

Cheers I'll give them a call.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:50 am

My mk1 has a previous category, cant remember which just now, but no problems to insure it..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:32 pm

This link is actually a re-direct to Bikesure, think i will have to try and finish my conversation with them..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:18 am

This link is actually a re-direct to Bikesure, think i will have to try and finish my conversation with them..

Yes, they are one and the same now.

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:22 pm

Yes, they are one and the same now.

Cheers Ali, Adrian Flux were all over kit cars back in the day i seem to recall.

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:30 pm

Cat d is not a problem,they don't like cat c .Hope this is helpful.

Jeez aint that right, for an agreed value i'm required to get the bike assessed as it's a cat-c but what annoy's me is that as this bike has been insured for a number of years somebody ie insurer must have an engineers report !! so why cant they bloody share info, they soon would for a claim eh, rang Bikesure's independent assessor "Hoopers" of Merseyside and asked a price, NA as i have to email with details of the cat-c before they quote, of which i have no idea, DVLA are not picking up either.

Just before i die, if one of you wheels me in to an Insurance broker of your choice i will shoot them for you  :D

#12 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:31 pm

Ended up getting mine off one of the comparison sites.

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:35 pm

I will also, if they were even somewhat reasonable i would play along, but like you i had murder with the Insurer (CN) over the cost of of extra's when i retired the 9r in Spain...... wankers the lot....

Sent details to RH drew, no response from them, maybe i'm not attractive to them  :lol:

#14 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:08 pm

I will also, if they were even somewhat reasonable i would play along, but like you i had murder with the Insurer (CN) over the cost of of extra's when i retired the 9r in Spain...... wankers the lot....

Sent details to RH drew, no response from them, maybe i'm not attractive to them  :lol:

I phoned them, they are very responsive  but that was before covid

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#15 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:14 am

Have you tried Peter James I have my classic through them.

https://www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk/

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:13 am

Too late now Graham cheers anyway.

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:39 pm

You got insurance now Cliff ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#18 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:50 pm

Cheers Ali, Adrian Flux were all over kit cars back in the day i seem to recall.

Yeh. They insured my Westfield 7, before I sold it and bought a TDM.

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:01 pm

Yeh. They insured my Westfield 7, before I sold it and bought a TDM.

Very nice, i had a frog eyed Magenta, A series Leyland engine.

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:03 am

You got insurance now Cliff ?

Yes then no, still looking this  morning now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users