4 replies to this topic

#1 Antoni0

Antoni0

arrived on last train

• 9 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:02 pm

Hi all,

I had two old zega box (40l) that I want to use with my tdm 900. Finally I have try with some success to build the racks to get it attached on it. My concern is if it's enough strong to the weight of the box full of luggage.

I already build one for another old bike but it had two fixed support on the high part to the frame. Now I only got one point of attach to frame on high position... What do you think ? will it be enough ? Im thinking to add another steel support side to side under seat supported over the rear frame, but I will have to "cut" in some manner the plastic and I prefer to don't do it.

I attach some photos:

Attached File  rack1.jpg   152.18KB   6 downloads

Attached File  rack2.jpg   101.5KB   2 downloads

Attached File  rack3.jpg   101.91KB   3 downloads

Attached File  rack4.jpg   110.73KB   1 downloads

Attached File  rack5.jpg   78.71KB   3 downloads

Attached File  rack6.jpg   84.86KB   4 downloads

Thanks for you opinions.

#2 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:50 pm

I recently made racks from the same steel for my soft bags but they would not be strong enough for big cases like those.
Do they move a bit with the cases on ? if yes then they need more support.
I may decide to make or buy cheap aluminium boxes just to have  100% waterproof luggage and if I do I will have to make stronger racks.

Attached Files

Edited by JMC, 18 September 2019 - 03:55 pm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#3 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:36 pm

Not sure if or where I posted this on Carpe, but the link below shows the set up I cobbled up for my Zegas. I wasn’t convinced by only having two mounting points plus the cross-brace, I was thinking of removing the forward luggage loops and fabricating a third mounting point per side there. In the meantime I came into a little unexpected wonga so I splashed out for a set of GIVI racks and V35 panniers. Guess what... only two mounting points per side!

The Zegas are considerably heavier than the GIVIs but I think my racks would’ve held up okay. Not sure about yours, the metal looks thinner than mine but there’s more of it. I guess you just have to try overloading in at standstill (bricks?) and measure any flex. I’d want that to be practically zero!

The GIVIs are good panniers, but I do miss the versatility of the Zegas - waterproof, securish pannier; camping seat and table combo; bike stand; water carrier; etc.

https://advrider.com...5#post-32589030

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#4 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:49 pm

Hi all,

I had two old zega box (40l) that I want to use with my tdm 900. Finally I have try with some success to build the racks to get it attached on it. My concern is if it's enough strong to the weight of the box full of luggage.

I already build one for another old bike but it had two fixed support on the high part to the frame. Now I only got one point of attach to frame on high position... What do you think ? will it be enough ? Im thinking to add another steel support side to side under seat supported over the rear frame, but I will have to "cut" in some manner the plastic and I prefer to don't do it.

I attach some photos:

attachicon.gif rack1.jpg

attachicon.gif rack2.jpg

attachicon.gif rack3.jpg

attachicon.gif rack4.jpg

attachicon.gif rack5.jpg

attachicon.gif rack6.jpg

Thanks for you opinions.

Jings, you could do flittings with them..... or even small removals !

#5 Antoni0

Antoni0

arrived on last train

• 9 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:25 pm

Thanks for your comments.

Finally I added one more attach point to each side. I use the mount for the anchor under the rear frame. Now each side have 3 point to the bike plus both sides linked among them.

Now it seem strong solid. To finish the process a nice black painting anti-corrison :)

Attached File  soporte-pintado1.jpeg   174.83KB   0 downloads

Attached File  soporte-pintado2.jpeg   129.36KB   0 downloads

I think Give can't do it better  :drinks: 

I will add some photos with mounts attached to bike and the boxs installed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users