47 replies to this topic

#1 OldGit

OldGit

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 133 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:26 am

Last tank full. I bottled it at 177 miles and filled up - 13.56 litres. By my maths that's 59mpg.
That's a mix of riding, no town journeys though. Fast A and B roads, some of it 2 up, some redlining as well.

I cannot think of any bike in 30 or so years of riding which is so economical. Not since a CB200 when I was 17 anyway.

My gob remains well and truly smacked.

Sorry if this topic has been done to death before.

Edited by OldGit, 28 August 2012 - 08:28 am.

Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.

#2 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:42 am

Done 230 miles on a tank the other day.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#3 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:31 am

I have owned mine for nearly 3 months and it is one of the best things about the TDM - it has good performance but is at the same time economical and has a good tank range. I am really pleased that I chose this bike.

#4 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:57 am

55--60 mpg is the norm for me. It's about 10 mpg better than all the 600's I had. I think the new wee strom is bit more frugal though.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#5 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:23 pm

Recently brimmed tank in Bromsgrove and rode to Barnstaple where tank brimmed again. 70.1 mpg and I wasn't hanging around on the way there. Rode Bovey Tracey A38 - M5 back to Bromsgrove at 85 - 90 where possible and checked again, 63.5 mpg.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:23 pm

QUOTE(Quartermaster @ Tue 28th Aug 2012, 13:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Recently brimmed tank in Bromsgrove and rode to Barnstaple where tank brimmed again. 70.1 mpg and I wasn't hanging around on the way there. Rode Bovey Tracey A38 - M5 back to Bromsgrove at 85 - 90 where possible and checked again, 63.5 mpg.

I wonder about this. If I cruise at say 80-85 then mpg goes down to the lower 50's. I tend to keep the revs around 4k and short shift a lot, which isn't anywhere near peak torque and means I sometimes have to change down on long inclines. Maybe I could get better mpg keeping the revs a bit higher unsure.gif

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#7 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:06 pm

Best was still our trip across Ireland at RTT08 ... 73.6mpg from fill-up to fill-up.

Matlock, Geordie Guy, Paddy900 and Pict (on a Burgman) will verify.

Never seems to get mentioned enough in technical press, who seem happy with getting well iunder 40 mpg on their tests.

Our 23 foot motor-home, fully-laden gets over 34mpg FFS!

TDMs save the planet, and the ozone layer etc etc, once again!

Pete

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#8 Compo

Compo

seems to like Carpe

• 42 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:14 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Tue 28th Aug 2012, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here, normaly get low to mid 60`s MPG. Can get into the 70`s without tryiing too hard. Great bike !

#9 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:44 am

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Tue 28th Aug 2012, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the norm for me to, on a run.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#10 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:54 am

I easily get high 50's to the gallon and over 200 miles per tank, plus I'm a reasonably hard rider
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#11 DeerStalker

DeerStalker

really likes Carpe

• 99 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:32 pm

Normally get around 200 miles to a tank filling up nearly the 1 bar mark - my journeys are normally shortish trips into London.

Shock horror I am considering parting with this bike now though - itchy change time syndrome..
2008 TDM900 (black) Givi 21's & topbox - Bagster/Baglux -heated grips - Zumo 550 - V Strom handguards - SW Motech mirror extenders and bar risers - R&G Bungs - Engine bars - Topsellerie seat - Tigerscreen oh and my other bikes are Harleys :)

Normally found loitering here www.therevcounter.com

#12 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:03 pm

Best ever on mine was 74mpg (twice now) and worst 44mpg (this years RTT), but "normal" is about 58-60.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#13 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:01 pm

My 900 seems to do 55-60 mpg, the Mk2a was nearly as good.

My brother's new Ford Mondeo estate achieves the same, carrying the whole family, the dog and a load of luggage around so I guess everything is relative
laugh.gif

Not many "mature" bikes have been purpose-designed for being good on fuel because up to now most bikers are more interested in being cool, fast and loud.
The exception being the Honda NC700, allegedly able to achieve a realistic 80 mpg. The power of the twin-engine is "only" 47 bhp, but apparently it pulls and accelerates really well, it just doesn't rev very high preventing it from being truly powerful - sounds much like my beloved Buell, I could probably live with one rolleyes.gif
That was not a banana, Dougal

#14 matttdm99

matttdm99

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:13 pm

I just got 230 miles to a tank I worked it out at 54 mpg

#15 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:38 am

QUOTE(robelst @ Wed 29th Aug 2012, 22:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The exception being the Honda NC700, allegedly able to achieve a realistic 80 mpg. The power of the twin-engine is "only" 47 bhp, but apparently it pulls and accelerates really well, it just doesn't rev very high preventing it from being truly powerful - sounds much like my beloved Buell, I could probably live with one rolleyes.gif

My bike's only been past 6k on a couple of occasions, so I think the NC700 would be a strong contender for my next bike, if the filler cap wasn't under the seat. The new Wee Strom manages between 65-70 mpg according to Fuelly and can still spin up if need be, so that's one I'd probably short-list. When it comes to it though, I'll probably end up sticking with the TDM which is a decent compromise between power and frugality.

#16 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:22 pm

Cross-refing my TDM speedo and odometer readings with Sat nav readings. the TDM is about 10% higher. So i'm not geting as good mpg as I thought. Think i,ll avoid disclosing the comparison rolleyes.gif

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#17 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:05 pm

QUOTE(Retro @ Mon 3rd Sep 2012, 16:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cross-refing my TDM speedo and odometer readings with Sat nav readings. the TDM is about 10% higher. So i'm not geting as good mpg as I thought. Think i,ll avoid disclosing the comparison rolleyes.gif

Interesting, and you make a good point about true accuracy of fuel consumption unsure.gif
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#18 td or sv? That is the question.

td or sv? That is the question.

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 111 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:46 pm

QUOTE(Saga Lout @ Mon 3rd Sep 2012, 17:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting, and you make a good point about true accuracy of fuel consumption unsure.gif

I have often wondered about this (and don't have a sat-nav to check) - if a speedo is reading, say, 10% high, does it follow that the odometer is also overstating by 10%, ie a bike showing 20,000 miles may only have covered 18,000?

I also wonder where all my fuel is going - I have a pretty easy commute (65% near empty dual carriageway, a good 20% country roads and less than 15% unsnarled urban routes), I don't hang about but don't recall ever hitting the red-line, never mind the limiter (has it got one?!), in fact I rarely stray over 5k rpm (though I might be there or thereabouts most of the time....), yet I don't think I've ever achieved more than 50mpg. Standard pipes, K&N filter, air-box mod (bolt up the rubber hose method). I generally run on premium unleaded, too, a habit going back to my days in Australia when regular meant 91RON, their p*ss-weak beer would have made a bike run better.....

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:31 pm

I guess that would depend on how accurate the speedo is at all speeds and the time spend travelling at said speeds.

It might only be 5% out at 30mph but 10% out at 60mph. You can use a smartphone to log your speed/distance/0-60mph etc. smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#20 td or sv? That is the question.

td or sv? That is the question.

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 111 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:47 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Mon 3rd Sep 2012, 18:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess that would depend on how accurate the speedo is at all speeds and the time spend travelling at said speeds.

It might only be 5% out at 30mph but 10% out at 60mph. You can use a smartphone to log your speed/distance/0-60mph etc. smile.gif

I'm not smart enough to have one of those either....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users