#1 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:45 am

A common problem, I'm going up in sizes of hex/torx/ribe to get a purchase on the allen bolt holding the top coolant pipe to the head, within the rocker coverspace

I'm trying to inspect valve clearances and change the cam chain.

If I can't free up the bolt I guess I'll have to cut the pipe, as I did for my 850, and replace the pipe itself.....but there seems to be a shortage of them on eBay (no surprise)..... does anyone have a spare or know of where I might get a reasonably priced replacement pipe in case I can't get the bolt out ?

Thanks

Part number is 4NX124820000  , description is 'pipe 2'

Does anyone know if the 4tx pipe fits, it seems to be the same apart from the additional welded bracket the 900 uses to secure the pipe to a cover bolt  EG https://www.ebay.co....igAAOSw7kVbINfd

Edited by fixitsan, 22 June 2018 - 10:13 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:10 am

are you looking for a 900 one i have one for a 850 3vd

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:14 am

are you looking for a 900 one i have one for a 850 3vd

It is a 900 I need...I've edited the title. Unfortunately a 3VD pipe bends in the wrong direction

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:21 am

Not 100% sure, but you might manage to remove the rocker cover with the pipe still in, providing you remove the parts around it first.  Think someone on here has done it in the past.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:27 am

Not 100% sure, but you might manage to remove the rocker cover with the pipe still in, providing you remove the parts around it first.  Think someone on here has done it in the past.

There's a large bracket welded on to the pipe which would stop it from going through the orifice in the cover so I suppose I could cut that off and try. I remember it not being easy to do the same with the 850. Perhaps that was a lack of patience though :)

#6 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:33 am

4TX pipe fits, same part (1996-2001) as the 5PS.

3VD pipe will not fit.

That pipe is imho a design flaw, not only about the well on the camshaft cover it goes in...

Should be able to remove the cover with the pipe still on, but will require a lot of cursing (and cake once it's done).

top_640.png

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:36 am

Thanks JB but it isn't the same due to the very large bracket welded onto it, unlike the 4tx version. Although like I say I could cut the bracket off

#8 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:36 pm

If I can't free up the bolt I guess I'll have to cut the pipe, as I did for my 850, and replace the pipe itself.....but there seems to be a shortage of them on eBay (no surprise)..... does anyone have a spare or know of where I might get a reasonably priced replacement pipe in case I can't get the bolt out ?

Can't you use an extractor on the bolt, or at least drill the head off it ?

Bjørge

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,742 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:18 pm

Here Chris but a bit pricey

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:19 pm

I had to replace my pipe as it had seized in the head. £65 ........ for a bent pipe with a flange, and two pieces welded on.

Can you get a screw extractor on it?

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:31 pm

Dabs that's an oil pipe but thanks :)

#12 dablik

dablik

• 10,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:36 pm

Dabs that's an oil pipe but thanks :)

Oops soz, mind elsewhere.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:43 pm

Can't you use an extractor on the bolt, or at least drill the head off it ?

I could if i took the engine out i suppose but I'm trying to avoid that. Im just heading out to get a T45 3/8 socket drive, going to bash that in and try again.

#14 dablik

dablik

• 10,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:26 pm

I could always send my lovely misses up to shout at it, it'll soon move :lol:

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:32 pm

I could always send my lovely misses up to shout at it, it'll soon move :lol:

Bloody hell, the very mention of it scared the bolt into submission, except it snapped off in the head !

Snapped bolt -> https://flic.kr/p/28rSgh4

Look how clean the engine is inside for 103,000 miles -> https://flic.kr/p/25FSChQ

This is the pipe, showing the additional (much heavier duty) bracket welded to the pipe  (And the reason why the cover couldn't  be slipped over it :) ) -> https://flic.kr/p/27mkkFY

I actually think (remembering from doing my 850) that with the correct sized o-ring the pipe gets clamped tightly down in the head hole and you only need the bracket to hold it in/prevent it from blowing out. I'm going to proceed with that in mind for now and when I reassemble it I'll check for leaks.

Now, I just need to find the expensive hard to find o-ring (or two !) i think the dealer will have it, I'll try Fowlers et al too

EDIT - just ordered two o-rings from Fowlers

The pipe had 2 different sized o-rings and a lot of sealant spread around....never had a coolant leak or had to top up the coolant so it must have been holding up :)

The spark plugs looked perfect , after over 5000 miles with the Samios remap, proving that it isn't over rich

Edited by fixitsan, 22 June 2018 - 07:57 pm.

#16 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:16 pm

Chris,

I reported on fettling my coolant pipe during a valve check here. There's pix and details of O rings, of which I have more if you want/need.

Here's a pic of my pipe before removal - strangely no side bracket arm!

Attached File  3 Mucky cover.JPG   158.16KB   2 downloads

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:39 am

I remember that post Steve, and I have a selection of o-rings, When I did the 850 I used 2 Stacked but they weren't the exact size proper good ones, but close enough.
I'll start with the correct ones first and go from there.

Very interested to see you had no bracket, and yours is such low mileage that it is unlikely to have been swapped for an 850 one..... It must either be a factory mod or someone's bright idea. it's very robust so fingers crossed !

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:23 pm

I remember that post Steve, and I have a selection of o-rings, When I did the 850 I used 2 Stacked but they weren't the exact size proper good ones, but close enough.
I'll start with the correct ones first and go from there.

Very interested to see you had no bracket, and yours is such low mileage that it is unlikely to have been swapped for an 850 one..... It must either be a factory mod or someone's bright idea. it's very robust so fingers crossed !

Chris with that additional bit on your coolant poipe,   did a cam cover allen bolt pass thru it thus securing it in 2 separate locations ?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:57 am

Chris with that additional bit on your coolant poipe,   did a cam cover allen bolt pass thru it thus securing it in 2 separate locations ?

Indeed it did, And is now the only bolt holding it. I've ridden over 1000 miles like this and no coolant loss

#20 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:33 am

Indeed it did, And is now the only bolt holding it. I've ridden over 1000 miles like this and no coolant loss

ya reckon it was a home brewed modification?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users