#1 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:37 pm

Noticed a few months ago that there was some residue on the shock piston.  Sooooo, wiped it clean and checked it again earlier this week.

Attached File  leakyshock.jpg   37.84KB   4 downloads

:(

Pretty sure it's oil residue mixed with some crapola but it doesn't yet seem to be making for a bad ride.  Looks like I'll be needing to either get it refurbed or get another shock.  Was hoping it'd last until I strip the bike/engine down this winter.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:20 pm

Pretty sure it's oil residue mixed with some crapola [/quote]

Agrozzle. :SadBadgerface:
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:23 am

If it's just the piston leaking then maybe a refurb will sort ya mucka, sure it was cheaper than a new shock.. lay off the pies :P

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:41 am

If it's just the piston leaking then maybe a refurb will sort ya mucka, sure it was cheaper than a new shock.. lay off the pies :P

Pot Kettle Black - not that I can point a finger (or anything else) :unsure2:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:01 am

Pot Kettle Black - not that I can point a finger (or anything else) :unsure2:

Ah yes but.....that's why i bought a NEW shock :P :P

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:09 am

That looks

Noticed a few months ago that there was some residue on the shock piston.  Sooooo, wiped it clean and checked it again earlier this week.

attachicon.gif leakyshock.jpg

:(

Pretty sure it's oil residue mixed with some crapola but it doesn't yet seem to be making for a bad ride.  Looks like I'll be needing to either get it refurbed or get another shock.  Was hoping it'd last until I strip the bike/engine down this winter.

Certainly looks like the pickled onion solution you get in your forks when the oil mixes with water and road muck........when the oily mess stops appearing, you know there's no oil left!! Time to break into the piggy bank.  :rolleyes:

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:46 pm

iirc yours started leaking the first time you sat on it slimbo. :P

Just considering my options but a new shock is off the cards for now.

Pushed the rear down today and it deffo felt a bit on the soft side.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:20 am

GNMoto have a few used wans for sale, just messaged them re postage costs.  Got an auto reply saying to phone them if I haven't had a reply after 1 week. :huh:

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:28 am

I fookin' give up.  Got a message from GNMoto

bonjour,
il suffit de créer votre compte, et quand l'article sera dans le panier, les frais de transports se calculeront automatiquement selon le pays et le poids de la commande ;-)
cordialement

Meaning...

Hello, just create your account, and when the item is in the basket, the shipping costs will be calculated automatically depending on the country and the weight of the order ;-) cordially

Sooooooo, I have to create an account, fill in my personal details and address etc just to get a price for shipping  !!!!  OK, long way to find a fookin postage cost but hey ho.  25 minutes later and I'm still fookin about filling in my address details, translating each section from French to English then putting in the details.  BUT IT WONT ACCEPT MY DETAILS.... FOOKIN MERDE !!!  I give up.

Tried buying the shock as they have it on ebay.......NO CAN DO as there's no postage costs included.  FFS !!!!   Seems they don't want us Brits to have any of their TDM stuff.  Highly disappointed.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:07 pm

Sorted.  Seller sent me a paypal request so payed ferrit that way.  Paypoop exchange rate of £1 to 1.08 euro. <_<

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:31 pm

Was gonna buy some plastics from them as could be cheaper than preppin and finishing mine, cant be arsed with all the mucking about though after hearing that...

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:37 pm

They did say they couldn't understand why I had a problem putting in my postcode on their site as they have lots of uk customers.  I wonder how many they don't have as peeps having the same problem as moi.

Be a lot easier if they simply put a postage price up on their ebay stuff eh.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:00 pm

Franck has just updated my registration and sorted out the problem I had with putting my address in.  Confidence restored. :)

#14 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:34 pm

:good:

#15 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:41 pm

Bon Jovi - great you're sorted :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:32 pm

Shock arrived today, 3 days after ordering.  Quicker than a lot of UK sellers. :)  £62 delivered and it looks to be in really good condition.

#17 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:57 am

If it doesn't work out for you Studley, let me know.  I have a Hyperpro, so my old one is just sitting around,.  Yours for the cost of shipping,  Heck, if shipping isn't too bad across the pond, I'll ship it free.  Least I can do for all the help I have received from this site. 

(Mine has 40K miles on it, but seemed to be working fine). 

I haven't been lurking as much as I used to, so I may be slow to respond. 

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:48 am

Thanks for the kind offer, muchly appreciated. The shock I bought seems to be working fine though. :good:

#19 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:33 pm

If it doesn't work out for you Studley, let me know.  I have a Hyperpro, so my old one is just sitting around,.  Yours for the cost of shipping,  Heck, if shipping isn't too bad across the pond, I'll ship it free.  Least I can do for all the help I have received from this site. 

(Mine has 40K miles on it, but seemed to be working fine). 

I haven't been lurking as much as I used to, so I may be slow to respond. 

How do you like the Hyperpro? I had Cogent Dynamics in North Carolina build a custom shock for me. What a difference.

#20 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:25 am

Sorry for the delay, I guess I thought I already replied.

I like the hyperpro.  I just got the basic emulsion shock, so the settings are a bit limited.  I wouldn't call it a night and day difference from the stock one, but mine was obviously getting tired at 40K. 

I have heard great things about Cogent Dynamics.  Did they build a shock from scratch, or re-do your stock shock?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users