• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:37 pm

So my rear shock is knackered, pissing oil. Ordered a unused 2015 R1 shock of the bay, seems to have the dimensions for my 850. Planning on swapping the spring with the one on my 3vd shock, as the R1 one is way too soft for direct linkage. Anybody done dis before?

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:45 pm

Boing boing boing.... It has been mentioned a few times don't think it worked for t'others.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:53 pm

Have they all fitted the old spring? Yep already boing boinging all over the place, guess it's because of the total lack of oil in the old shock..

#4 Bjĝrge

Bjĝrge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:04 am

Have they all fitted the old spring? Yep already boing boinging all over the place, guess it's because of the total lack of oil in the old shock..

The problem would be damping - it has to be harmonised to spring. If you stiffen the spring considerably and don't increase rebound damping, the bike would feel ~undampened. 

Bjĝrge

#5 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:38 pm

Aha! So then the question is:Does the R1 shock have enough rebound damping for a spring that is 1200 lbs?

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:33 pm

Aha!

taaake onnnn meeee

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#7 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:07 am

Yes heard that one, not saying much about spring rates, unfortunately.

#8 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:58 am

Aha!

taaake onnnn meeee

Knowing me , knowing you....

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#9 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:01 am

I rather listen to this:
https://open.spotify...YSFK5NF2bgPBCSA

Anyone with experience with fitting r1 shocker with other spring to the 3vd?

#10 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:23 am

taaake onnnn meeee

.......idle query....

what’s that all about ?
recognise the tune....... and the other one

but don’t get the connection to weeping shockers, spring rates....etc

please illuminate......if you can be bothered

Jiff

#11 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:10 am

Blame Drewpy - AHA? The boy band?

"Aha! So then the question is:Does the R1 shock have enough rebound damping for a spring that is 1200 lbs?" 

Anyhoo back to R1 shock on a 3vd.

Have you checked the R1 specs? Would also expect you to have some tuning of the shock to suit a 3vd. If all else fails you could fit it and see? I changed mine a while back and it wasn't a huge job if you're handy with the spanners, unless the 3vd is greatly different to a 9'er?

#12 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:46 am

Prolly just reactions to my "AHA!". SLIGHTLY off topic, but ok, it's early in the morning.
The 3vd has direct linkage, opposed to the 900, which have dog bones. I suspect the R1 shock would be easier to tune to fit the 900 because of this, but the length of the shock and the mounting holes are the same for the 3vd. Thats why I was wondering if the R1 shock would fit my bike anyhow, if I just change the spring to my 3vd one, and fettle with preload and so on.
Yes pretty handy with the spanners I guess. Doing all my bike related things myself. Going to upgrade my bike with new pistons, rings, hone, polish the innards of the top end, change valve seals and so on during the next months. Maybe some new paint, at least on the swinger, since it's going off the bike anyhow.

Btw:the link I posted is for the music that I make, great for riding fast tdms.

#13 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:15 am

sigvepigve

As you have mentioned 3VD no linkage R1 linkage,even if both bikes has linkage they may well be different so shock wont work as intended cheaper maybe to get shock rebiult (some on here have and I think it was like just overr£100) --do a search) or just buy a cheap YSS shock,

Can you get a 3VD--4TX spring off without cutting the collet at the top?

#14 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:38 am

i put an r6 shock on my direct linkage '86 FZ and had to get the valves redone and the strongest spring that would fit.

worth the trouble for me though as more settings possible

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#15 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:59 am

[quote name="TKH" post="364761" timestamp="1537261851"]Blame Drewpy - AHA? The boy band?

goddit!......not my era , and I’m far too old to put tracks & band together

Jiff

#16 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:49 pm

[Can you get a 3VD--4TX spring off without cutting the collet at the top?

drewpy's Photodrewpy]

If I have to cut it out, so be it. The old 3vd shock is farked anyway, so got nothing to lose on that matter. The R1 one is made to be serviced, so no worries getting the standard spring out and on with the 3vd one. I think the standard r1 spring is about 400 lbs, and the tdm one about 1200...too much of a difference you reckon? Or is there enough tweaks possiblto be done to the R1 one to make it work you think?

#17 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:35 pm

[Can you get a 3VD--4TX spring off without cutting the collet at the top?

drewpy's Photodrewpy]

If I have to cut it out, so be it. The old 3vd shock is farked anyway, so got nothing to lose on that matter. The R1 one is made to be serviced, so no worries getting the standard spring out and on with the 3vd one. I think the standard r1 spring is about 400 lbs, and the tdm one about 1200...too much of a difference you reckon? Or is there enough tweaks possiblto be done to the R1 one to make it work you think?

a service and revalve cost £120 from Kais near me. new oil and nitrogen. they even put a new blader in there as the resevoir was being hit by the chain

#18 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:30 pm

Hoping to avoid all interference from people with paid know-how. Learning by doing (and reading and YouTube)

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:32 am

Hoping to avoid all interference from people with paid know-how.

Can you expand on that a little bit..... paid know-how ?   What does that mean ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#20 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:52 am

Can you expand on that a little bit..... paid know-how ?   What does that mean ?

me tinks he don't wanna (dance with Eddie Grant no more) spend any money on it and is hoping the web and poo tube will give he the answers.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: R1 shock, 3vd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users