Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:54 am

Carpeadians , advice please !

Are you sitting comfortably ? Then I'll begin .....................

All my "over the briney" riding has been done in Northern France and done with back up, by that I mean myself and one of the sprogs would be on two wheels and SHMBO would be on 4 wheels with the other sprog and the suitcases (would swap sprogs for the return journey and ride outs), I have all my documents and bare essentials in my tank bag, top box and the sprogs back pack.

We meet up sometime during the evening at a pre-determined hotel or camp site spend a couple of days there and move to the next destination, any hooo you get the picture. 

I'm in the throws of planning a "solo" trip to Southern Spain on WinalotPrime to visit my brother and family, SHMBO and kids still going on ahead but flying, I'm thinking Portsmouth - Santander then Madrid to Mojacar then same on the return leg, I have set aside 10 days for the whole trip.

My dilema is this ... I'll need to carry my clothes and stuff myself with no back up as before, sooo... trusty tank bag along with top box & hard luggage or top box and throw overs ?

Both will require a frame of sorts for securing the luggage to the bike but my concern is the security of the soft luggage over night and when parked up for pit stops, I will have all my documents, cash and the like with me at all times in a tank bag that can be quickly removed and kept on me, would you guys leave the soft luggage on the bike overnight (they'll only have clothes and tat in) ?, is there a way to make it more secure ?, thought about a rain cover for the bike to mask the luggage being left on it, dont want the faff of unstrapping it all then having to put it all back on again the next day, but hard luggage is so expensive for what i need to achieve, and it appears hard to come by for the MK2 850.

Advise please  :good:

Edited by Gdogg, 30 July 2017 - 07:08 am.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:21 am

I removed panniers at every stopover, it's not really 'a fuss' removing and refitting them, only takes 2 mins.  Likewise, summat like a 40ltr LOMO holdall will be roomy enough for all your gear and easy to take off the bike on your stopovers.  Stops for lunch etc and your gear should be fine if you avoid the really busy cities.

Left the panniers on the bike when on the ferry, used a small rucksack for a change of clothes and footwear for use when on the ferry, along with my tankbag.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:39 am

:wifgeni: +1

Roll bag and tank bag. 

if I've got soft luggage with me while abroad (or even in blighty), in cities, I'll take tank bag with valuable with me and try to have a coffee or meal in sight of the bike anyway.....never had a problem.

You'll be surprised with how little you'll need.......but don't forget your dancing trousers for the ferry, it's a blast!

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:57 am

Me preference is hard luggage fur frequent use. But touring would use tiny pan ears with afore mentioned roll bag.

Wouldn't spend to much time worrying aboot it getting pinched. Just ewes a dose of common sense mixed with good luck.

We got told a lot how our stuff would be nicked and our boikes pinched in eastern euro but we musta got lucky. :-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:18 am

Exactly all this above, regular use then go to the expense of hard luggage, i wont pay the silly money for hard luggage anymore, for 10 days you really dont need much and can pack light, if you need a lot spread a good amount throughout the families luggage then a tank bag and top box will be plenty, that aside then a roll bag lobbed on the back seat, it's easy to worry about luggage left on the bike but  mostly unecessary, never had a problem in 35 years, just use a little common sense if in cities......save the money and buy beer, actually the cost of new luggage equates to 1 leg of the ferry journey...........dont do it, or buy 2nd hand at a reasonable price.

A lot of people take way too much stuff i think, anyhoo if you run short i expect you'll look lovely in SWMBO's borrowed dress :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:29 am

i bought 2nd hand, wing rack and hard luggage, cost me £100 if your patient.

On Gumtree, had to buy a zzr1200 mounting kit with the panniers/topbox/plate and sold those on and both panniers only cost £50 with £50 for the wing rack

gumtree was the best bet as you can haggle. Only prob is it just takes time to do it that way.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#7 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:00 am

Think we're worst in Europe for bike crime. I was amazed this year in Belgium and Germany by what they just leave on their bikes when on walkabout! Had the luxury of an empty e45 top box to lock lid and jacket away but in hindsight was probably just paranoia. Be sensible and just enjoy!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:17 am

I've used soft throw overs, a big cargo bag and the hard E45s I've got now. I much prefer the hard panniers. Easier to pack and (un)load and lower centre of gravity. That said, the Oxford soft panniers are fine if you want a cheaper option, they're just not as convenient or spacious.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#9 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:26 pm

I use both. The soft Buffalo's I bought off Saga are still in use.

Hard ones are more waterproof but I use dry bags inside the soft ones anyway and rain covers plus little padlocks to deter the opportunist tea leaf. 

To be honest if someone is going to break into your panniers hard or soft will make no difference.

That's my penny worth anyway :) 

#10 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:11 pm

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated  :good:

Looking into Sudders suggestion of the LOMO waterproof holdall, that seems a cracking idea with the tank bag.

Ironic as well as "LOMO" is Spanish for pork !!, must be a omen to fill them up with chorizo on the return leg   :rotflmmfao:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users