24 replies to this topic

#1 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:16 pm

hi folks just lookin for some recommendations don't have crazy money to spend I've been looking at the Oxford Montreal jacket and rst jackets wondering what everyone else use s all advice is much appreciated ☺

#2 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:38 pm

Kids treated me to an ARMA KISO2 jacket for Fathers Day from the Sports Bike Shop - Boston , Lincs, it was one of RIDE Magazines "recommended" triangle jobbies under the banner of "best waterproof jacket under £150" I think it was, cracking piece of kit for the money, well impressed so far, they're doing a special at the moment - along with ARMA - for £99 they are knocking out the original KISO jacket (to shift old stock no doubt) and they're bunging the matching ARMA trousers in F.O.C. , check them out www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk , I've got a pair of waterproof trousers already and I would have gone for it but was not over awed by the look of the original KISO jacket to be honest even though the reviews were spot on (even got a "recommended" from MCN too) and for £99 all in- bargain.  

Edited by Gdogg, 05 August 2017 - 07:39 pm.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#3 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:45 pm

Kids treated me to an ARMA KISO2 jacket for Fathers Day from the Sports Bike Shop - Boston , Lincs, it was one of RIDE Magazines "recommended" triangle jobbies under the banner of "best waterproof jacket under £150" I think it was, cracking piece of kit for the money, well impressed so far, they're doing a special at the moment - along with ARMA - for £99 they are knocking out the original KISO jacket (to shift old stock no doubt) and they're bunging the matching ARMA trousers in F.O.C. , check them out www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk , I've got a pair of waterproof trousers already and I would have gone for it but was not over awed by the look of the original KISO jacket to be honest even though the reviews were spot on (even got a "recommended" from MCN too) and for £99 all in- bargain.  

thanks mate yeah was lookin at them too has the jacket been totally waterproof

#4 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:25 am

Luckily not been caught out in a proper storm yet, but all good, the review I read by the MCN chap I think it was said he'd been caught in what can only be described as a heavy down pour and only had a wet patch about the size of a 50p piece on his tee shirt near his belly button and that he'd been wetter than that in jackets 3 times more expensive !, that sold it for me I must admit, yeah sure at some point I'm gonna get a soaking and probably wet some where but I've got a £120 jacket on my back not a £500 one, it's a chance I'm more than prepared to take :badgerrock:, must admit I'm deffo toying with selling my current textile trousers so I can get the matching ARMA KISO2 ones.

Only thing I had to get used to is the "gloves in" design (Italian thing I think!), zip and cuff a bit bulky for "gloves out" , but got the hang of it now and happy with it but was weird at first especially after 40 years of said "gloves out"  :rotflmmfao:

I went for the gunmetal grey one, only because the outer pockets are black for all the colours and they were more prominent, so decided on the darker colour, just a personal thing.

Edited by Gdogg, 06 August 2017 - 08:29 am.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#5 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:23 am

I have a Spada which was waterproof for two years only. (mind you it was a cheapo).
I now have a £200+ Held touring and the zip is coming away at the bottom after only 6 months. Not recommended.
Sorry for being negative but I thought I'd mention it in case you were looking at these brands

#6 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:22 am

yeah I really appreciate all the reviews folks I've seen some of the cheap jackets get great reviews and some expensive ones get bad reviews in lookin at dainese stuff at the minute I'm still not sure what to buy my budget will be below 250

Edited by davytdm, 06 August 2017 - 11:24 am.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:52 pm

Had one of these for a couple of years now, constantly been dry and in some serious downpours as well, it's never let a drop through, the outer teflon coating helps peel the rain of so the jacket does'nt become so sodden with just the inner waterproof liner. it's as good as any goretex jacket i've had in the past at more expense.

Look around maybe it's cheaper elsewhere.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:00 pm

In heavy downpours I prefer to wear a light rainproof over jacket. A Gore-Tex inner may keep me dry, but a soaking jacket is no fun and not easy to dry.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#9 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:33 pm

Had one of these for a couple of years now, constantly been dry and in some serious downpours as well, it's never let a drop through, the outer teflon coating helps peel the rain of so the jacket does'nt become so sodden with just the inner waterproof liner. it's as good as any goretex jacket i've had in the past at more expense.

Look around maybe it's cheaper elsewhere.

excellent coat mate that's the sort I'm after that has outer waterproof fabric as well as the inner 🤗🤗

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:34 pm

True muddy and i would as i used to and will again when i get another, double wrapped is good.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:27 am

In heavy downpours I prefer to wear a light rainproof over jacket. A Gore-Tex inner may keep me dry, but a soaking jacket is no fun and not easy to dry.

+1 :good:

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#12 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:06 am

+1 :good:

Almost a +1
I use a Sidi dual-layer onesie over my HG gear if I'm doing a decent ride in the rain or winter such as a ride to Farnborough.
This onesie doubles as my summertime continental waterproof layer (even though it's not completely WP) as staying driazabone isn't important to me in these circumstances .

If you want to be totally dry whatever the weather and distance an immersion suit maybe......

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#13 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:06 am

don't want to go down the road of over suits folks thinking of going for a jacket and maybe giving it extra coat or 2 of waterproof spray 🤔

#14 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:50 pm

I have a set of RST Adventure textiles and they've been cracking for me. I ride all year round and all weathers, only time they've let anything through was after 10 hours riding through a monsoon on the west coast and I suspect that was down to accumulated road-dirt.

I'd overlooked that textiles are less water-resistant over time as the membrane pores get clogged up with all sorts. Threw them in the washing machine with tekwash and then reproofer, been bone dry since. Tend to do the cleaning every 3 months now.

#15 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:16 pm

I have a set of RST Adventure textiles and they've been cracking for me. I ride all year round and all weathers, only time they've let anything through was after 10 hours riding through a monsoon on the west coast and I suspect that was down to accumulated road-dirt.

I'd overlooked that textiles are less water-resistant over time as the membrane pores get clogged up with all sorts. Threw them in the washing machine with tekwash and then reproofer, been bone dry since. Tend to do the cleaning every 3 months now.

great advice many thanks will bear that in mind ☺ is that the rst pro series adventure 2 jackets there about £179🤔

Edited by davytdm, 07 August 2017 - 02:21 pm.

#16 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:36 pm

Yeh, tis the Pro series. I got a discount on the set from the local dealership as I was buying a full set of gear at the same time as buying the bike.

#17 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:28 pm

Yeh, tis the Pro series. I got a discount on the set from the local dealership as I was buying a full set of gear at the same time as buying the bike.

thanks mate☺

#18 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:19 pm

finally ordered the Oxford Montreal jacket it's got great reviews has a lot of stuff more expensive jackets have and it was only £110 from Sportsbikeshop hope it performs well 😎

#19 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:37 am

Gur at work ordered Bering Roy, £250 for a Goretex lamiate jacket (not a shell type) which is the cheapest we could find.  Arrived and general fit was good.  He's not a massive cake fiend.  Only problem was that the fit didn't allow the arms to raise enough (He's got a Tiger 800 XC) so fairly high arm riding position.

So that went back.

He's now got an RST Paragon 5, which is a really nice fit.  Storm colar, and more air vents than my old socks.

Being an All Year Biker I need to have a jacket that can withstand the worst that British weather throws at me.  I've got a Oxford Rain Seal overjack for when it's properly shoite on the way home from work, but I've yet to find a jacket (without selling organs to fund it) that can cope.

Money vs Reward I guess.

Be good to hear what you think of the Montreal!

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#20 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:29 pm

Gur at work ordered Bering Roy, £250 for a Goretex lamiate jacket (not a shell type) which is the cheapest we could find.  Arrived and general fit was good.  He's not a massive cake fiend.  Only problem was that the fit didn't allow the arms to raise enough (He's got a Tiger 800 XC) so fairly high arm riding position.
So that went back.

He's now got an RST Paragon 5, which is a really nice fit.  Storm colar, and more air vents than my old socks.

Being an All Year Biker I need to have a jacket that can withstand the worst that British weather throws at me.  I've got a Oxford Rain Seal overjack for when it's properly shoite on the way home from work, but I've yet to find a jacket (without selling organs to fund it) that can cope.

Money vs Reward I guess.

Be good to hear what you think of the Montreal!

will report back once I've tested in the rain mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users