#1702 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:10 am

Welcome. Also good news is you bought only a litre of oil. That will still be on the shelf in a year's time as 9'ers don't normally use any oil at all.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#1703 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:40 am

You need to show it to us first! Welcome.

Attached File  1.jpg   217.21KB   0 downloads

Attached File  3.jpg   227.06KB   0 downloads

Thanks for the welcome all.

#1704 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:42 am

Went into my local dealership a week ago for a litre of oil for my 2006 cbr600f and walked out with the oil and having somehow traded in the cbr for a 2009 tdm900...

Hi there !

A friend of mine wanted new tyres on his old GS1000, came out of the shop with an Aprilia Pegaso, which he kept for 1 set of tyres.....when it was due for next tyre change he left the shop with an ER6 instead. 

When I changed his tyres last year it was his first time without a bike change with it.

Bjørge

#1705 Froderick71

Froderick71

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:10 am

Hello to all here  :)

I recently bought my first TDM,  a 2003 900, I was considering an xt660x or even a Dominator or DRZ , the later being expensive to buy here (Ireland) and having owned a Dominator before I was looking for one with all mods already done, (seat, can, screen, luggage rack) but not much turned up to suit my budget and preferences.  I saw my bike and after viewing decided it would suit my needs as I don't off road (maybe someday) but wanted something with long travel suspension as the roads I usually find myself on aren't great if you are on a roadbike, not terrible but terrible patches are always around the corner.  So happy with my TDM have a few mods planned highway pegs on crashbars when I get around to it, yea great bike and underrated as reviews don't highlight the low weight (Lighter than a v-strom) and tyre options.  I had a Triumph Tiger last year cracking bike if a bit noisy but too top heavy to live with unless you are Colossos from Xmen. The TDM has lots of benefits over my sportster which I liked and might have loved but got rid of because of the suspension (didnt have the money to upgrade it) and already had a nice wad in it, ah well , Happy with my TDM so far :good:

#1706 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:16 pm

Hi and welcome to the club. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1707 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:20 pm

How do welcome to the site and enjoy the bike :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1708 crasholdschool

crasholdschool

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:17 pm

Evening All,

Just a quick intro. Got myself a 99 TDM and added a few mods like bars and a new screen. Great bike, so easy to ride.

Had a lot of different bikes from sports to customs, still have 5 different ones now. Do all my own work and customizing.

Hopefully will pick up a few tips on here!

Safe riding.

#1709 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:38 am

Hi and welcome to the club.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1710 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:34 am

Welcome Crash :-h

#1711 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:30 pm

Welcome!
Bjørge

#1712 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:20 pm

welcome :)

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#1713 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:30 pm

Welcome! :good:

#1714 StrataMan

StrataMan

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:56 pm

Hi to all. My name is Haydn and I live in South Wales, UK. I'd like to share some pics with you of a TDM850 project that I've recently completed. It is a 1994 (L Reg) MK1 in cyan that I bought as a none-runner (no spark) from eBay. The electrical problem turned out to be a broken earth (black wire) to the ignition unit. After starting it the engine sounded pretty sweet so I decided to do a bit of work on her and keep her for a while as I've always liked these. I prefer the smaller turnable fairing/ screen style so I fitted one off a Triumph Street Triple. Other mods/ alterations are:

Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust, Dominator/Street fighter Headlights, Suzuki 1200 Bandit headlight brackets, Digital Clocks, Renthal Bars, Home Made Crash Bars, Hagon Shock, Seat & Cover, Custom Paint by myself (was a professional painter but recently had to give it up for health reasons).

The frame was stripped of all unwanted brackets and sprayed with Upol Raptor, so was the engine cases. Tyres are Heidenau Scout K60's which seem to give fairly good grip for a chunky like these.

As previously mentioned I did not strip the engine but I did change the valve seals. This I did without removing the cylinder head so I've added a few pics here to show the trick if anyone needs to do the same. Here's a brief 'How To':

1. Rotate engine till no1 cylinder is TDC (top dead centre).

2. Take off the cams, shims, buckets etc until you have access to the tops of the valves and tie cam chain to stop it dropping. 

3. Carefully rotate engine backwards (keep in mind the loosely tied cam chain) until the piston is about half way down the cylinder.

4. Thread some soft rope (golf ball sized amount) through the spark plug hole.

5. Slowly rotate the engine forward and bring the piston up until it squeezes the rope snug against the valves inside the head.

The valve springs can now be compressed and removed to renew the seals. The tool was made from a piece of pipe and a flat bit of bar.

Note: The tool pics was taken after finishing the left cylinder and before threading the rope into the right cylinder.

If anyone has any questions about the whole thing, don't hesitate.

Thanks to everyone and take care.

Attached File  01.jpg   116.56KB   9 downloadsAttached File  03.jpg   128.17KB   7 downloadsAttached File  06.jpg   241.67KB   6 downloadsAttached File  07.jpg   190.2KB   5 downloadsAttached File  11.jpg   327.13KB   7 downloadsAttached File  14.jpg   181.25KB   7 downloadsAttached File  12.jpg   166.98KB   6 downloadsAttached File  15.jpg   187.66KB   7 downloadsAttached File  16.jpg   160.18KB   7 downloadsAttached File  18.jpg   229.28KB   8 downloads

Edited by StrataMan, 05 October 2017 - 08:14 pm.

#1715 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:34 am

Hello dare and welcome. :-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#1716 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:49 am

Oh my :clapping:  ya know i like the full plastics on a mk1 but i suppose that's mainly due to the type of biking i do BUT, i love that bike Haydn it does'nt look like a half finished custom job, well done that's very tasty you ask me... good tips for the valves as well, i'd have a crack at that method :unsure2:........ maybe not before the other lot chip in.

What a place to ride as well, amongst some of the best roads in the uk imo....

Anyway welcome to the site, great 1st post matey, nice engine bars an all :good:

Haydn which bars have you put on, maybe it's just the angle of the photo but they look nice and wide.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1717 StrataMan

StrataMan

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome and compliments. To dablik: the old 'rope in the hole' trick for the valve seals does work a treat if you just need to renew the seals without ripping the head off. Saves time and money. The bars are Renthal Road Medium code# 755-01, 733mm wide with a 78mm rise. Cheers.

#1718 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome and compliments. To dablik: the old 'rope in the hole' trick for the valve seals does work a treat if you just need to renew the seals without ripping the head off. Saves time and money. The bars are Renthal Road Medium code# 755-01, 733mm wide with a 78mm rise. Cheers.

Cheers for that, i thought they might be 755's, photo makes em look wider i think.

Like the engine bars...again :D

#1719 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:35 pm

Hi and welcome to the club Haydn.  Lovely bike you have there. :good:

#1720 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:28 pm

I'ld struggle to dislike that bike :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users