#21 pistolwhip

pistolwhip

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:49 am

there's an idea.

Its been hot the past two days. (everyday dry day lost is terrible) Think if it was damp it would already be dried by now. But good. will try wd40 drench. Maybe its one of those electrical demons that’s been haunting me…

don’t think this is relevant, but i remember riding away from the mechanic shop with new bt20's and immediately throttle cable was wrung till little dial in gauge reading rpm fiddled in the red. rolleyes.gif cos the bt20's are that good.

so don’t know if it was water or carbs getting stunned? dont see anyone complaining about carbs.

for reference, wrapped the leads from the inside of the bung on the engine head right until the connector on the coils. Also wrapped all the coil connections.
scraped corrosion away from all above said contact points before taping.
still nowt. frightening when it dies during lanesplitting.

will douse underseat and plug the gaping hole and see what happens.

cheers.

#22 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:12 am

strip, inspect, clean or replace the starter relay, which is located under the seat.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#23 pistolwhip

pistolwhip

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:07 am

ok captain.

very possible relay or fuses. mounting and position dont look very well thought out.

i'll see how this one goes.

cheers all.

#24 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:00 am

QUOTE(pistolwhip @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok captain.

very possible relay or fuses. mounting and position dont look very well thought out.

i'll see how this one goes.

cheers all.

i can assist with pics of the relay strip doon procedure if yer stuck.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#25 pistolwhip

pistolwhip

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:58 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Thu 20th Mar 2008, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i can assist with pics of the relay strip doon procedure if yer stuck.

that would be very good. juz took a good look and in comparison to whats in the manual, theres seems to be plenty of macgyver mods there.

this is getting amusing, as in the "erm..." kind of amusing, not "hehe".

thanks in advance.

cheers.

#26 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:11 am

look at this starter relay block connector !!!

#27 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:01 am

Spanks for addin that Wicky.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#28 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:49 am

Bloody Hell Wicky...

Was that thing working !!!!! help.gif
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#29 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:02 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Fri 21st Mar 2008, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bloody Hell Wicky...

Was that thing working !!!!! help.gif

yes it was actually working !!! that relay was from Emmetts original MKIIa, i have his wiring loom in me attic and that block connector was really corroded, even the plastic had gone brittle and it looked loike a potential foire hazard to me !!! rotflmmfao.gif excl.gif

#30 pistolwhip

pistolwhip

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:00 am

problem solved! yahoo.gif

unbelievable.

did what wickle suggested. good.gif

stripped the starter relay to pieces, took the battery +ve (the red thingy to the relay) and -ve (the black thingy to the frame) leads and cleaned, sandpapered, installed everything. taped up, installed a cover for the gaping hole (mod from an empty tub of walls ice cream) and now she runs like she used to.

trying to find this on my own would have taken ages.

thanks a bunch all. drinks.gif

p.s; maybe i should email a photo of it to yamaha. they have a team of engineers, a gazillion bucks for research... and here's an empty tub of ice cream and a bit of sandpaper. they can file it under 'ridiculously simple ways to solve stupid engineering problems'. tongue.gif

Edited by pistolwhip, 24 March 2008 - 02:10 am.

#31 pistolwhip

pistolwhip

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:18 am

tried to post this elsewhere, but apparently this is a first.

uh-oh # 2

radiator cant hold its water. Small squirt between the fin run and the solid rectangle top. Corrosion? (4TX090A model) spark plug spanner swung recklessly?
small little thing, pity to replace the whole unit.

Any recommendations?
patch? hi temp metal adhering cement/epoxy?
welding?
leaks only when radiator reservoir is full of course.
No problem with overheating yet. Even with nearly empty coolant, mercury stops off dead centre.

hah…suddenly remember.. whats that movie with the jeep with the leaking radiator and the smart alec with the eggs?
funny that. 'haha' funny.

stop me when this gets old.

anyway, plenty thanks all round.

cheers.

#32 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:58 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Thu 20th Mar 2008, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know that came apart!!! unsure.gif

Cleaned mine out properly this afternoon; it was nearly as bad inside as your pic, the connector was clean.

Did you use that drill to clean yours up? I found the copper was so fragile/bendy I used an old emery board I found in the cupboard (no it wasn't mine...), and it came up a treat.

@ pistolwhip.... Off to buy a tub of ice-cream now. Does it have to be Walls or will Co-op do? Chocolate or raspberry ripple??? rolleyes.gif

Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

#33 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:50 pm

This is doing my head in now....

New coils, new taped-and-sealed HT leads (not touching any metal), new plugs and caps and STILL the thing cut out this morning. Still sparking from the RH coil

Only thing I haven't done yet is change the plugs that connect to the coils from the wiring loom. They do look a bit blue (like the starter relay in Wicky's pics above). Only other thing I can think of that causes this. I have done everything else...

ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif

#34 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:38 pm

Side stand switch!!!!!!
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#35 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:51 pm

have you tried a high temperature silicon (or similar) sealant around where the plug caps go into the engine, i think water may be able to seep past the rubber seal on the plug caps into the holes, it has got to be worth a try.

#36 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:18 pm

PB I could give it a try I suppose. I bought a tin of damp-seal earlier which I know is only supposed to be a temporary fix. At the weekend I am going to change the connectors on the end of the wires that attach to the coils and spray the lot with damp-seal.

TAM, how could the sidestand switch affect it? I have to admit now that I know NOTHING about electrics; hell, I struggle with a 3-pin-plug!!, I am just trying to follow a simple process of elimination. And am open to all suggestions.

When I peered up under the headstock this morning when I got to work, I could see brown marks around the bottom of one of the coil pins and it definitely was sparking either from the bottom of one of that pin or where the coil fixes to the frame - bad earth maybe?

I have read all of the threads in this section of the forum, and followed all the advice. Surely I should have sorted this by now.

#37 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:00 pm

Side stand switch cuts the engine out when you put the side stand down.

It could be full of crap, loose connection or faulty.

Get on your hands and knees when she is running, give the side stand a wiggle when its up, try and make it cut out.

You might have to take it off and see if its cerroded.

Good call TDMTAM...... good.gif

I would not have thought of that one.

Good Luck

Ivan
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#38 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:16 pm

either way i'd trace the sidestand switch wiring and clean any inline connectors. I used a Dremel to clean the kontacts of my starter relay.

#39 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:56 pm

Going to do this at the weekend when I put the bike on my paddock stand to clean the swingarm yahoo.gif shouldn't be too hard, and I have a wiring diagram that I can follow if I get lost.

I also managed to 'borrow' some hi temp silicon from under the counter at work so I did as Pantboy suggested.

Just waiting for it to rain now so I can test it all out. Saturday afternoon looks promising...

#40 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:30 pm

ps. i would also squirt summit ACF50 down the ignition switch to help clear up any corrosion that may be on the contacts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users