Photo

My HID Xenon installation (low and high beam)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:25 pm

Having read before about a HID installation with a ballast unit in the right fairing part and one behind the dash, I always figured I probably only had space for only one ballast unit, since I already have a compact Stebel Nautilus airhorn in the right side. Having read later that someone else had a ballast unit in the left fairing part I guessed I did have a chance to fit HID bulbs for both low beam and high beam. I ordered the same kit I had on my Renault Safrane (also two times H7, 6000K) for 155 euro online and started installation.

Here's the kit, ordered from www.tunex.nl . The kit comes from China, but does have Philips IC's inside apparently:

One of the bulbs and ballasts out of the box and connected:

As seen on JBX's installation, you remove the screen and dash cover, making sure you don't loose the rubber grommet on the forward part:

Putting the ballast in behind the dash was easy:

But then I figured there might actually be room for more. So I tried to also put the second ballast in there. It turned out you can easily slide it in from the side:

And indeed, there was room enough for both units good.gif :

So, after disconnecting the battery I hooked up all the wires and, with everything only loosely in place, I reconnected the battery and tested the bulbs:

Here you see one of the bulbs, with the protective tube still in place but the foam around it removed (still a foam ring below it to):

Next was trying to figure out how to combine the bulbs, connectors, wires, rubber ring and the rubber cover together. This is what I eventually did:

As you can see above, I removed the little clip of the main ballast connector in order to get it through the hole in the big rubber Yamaha light cover. I then also put the two other, smaller, plugs through the hole. I had to leave the two little flat plugs (which connect to the stock H7 light connector from the bike) inside, which I would route trough the edge of the rubber cover. At least, I had to do that if I wanted to keep that little rubber ring in place, which I wanted to use to close up the hole in the big rubber cover from inside. Next to the Xenon bulb, you see the halogen bulb, with the Yamaha plug extender still in place.

That bulb plug extender thingie on the back of the halogen bulb created a small problem, since the steel clip would not touch the xenon bulb. So the bulb would't stay in place. I decided to leave the foam ring, originally meant to close the protective packaging tube, in place to sort of replace the extender thingie. It appeared to be perfect to allow the clip to push tight against the foam and therefor the bulb:

Next the rubber cover was pushed on, the flat plugs came out from the top and connected to the H7 feed:

Reconnect the battery, et voila:

Low beam only:

After this I removed the side and top fairing to give me more space in order to fixate the ballast units and put away the wires more neatly:

Four big tie-rips around the dash mounting plate were enough:

Looks neat, doesn't it (and it's dry too):

This is how the wires looked just before reinstalling the dashboard cover:

And while I was at it I tried to see how the vertical adjustment screw actually worked since I could never get it to move. Now I know how it works, I can adjust it. But this time it didn't need it. A big flat screwdriver works best. And not turning it but nudging it a few teeth at a time works better too:

I'll post experiences later because I gotta go. But so far I love 'm... good.gif

Edited by E-njoy, 19 June 2007 - 04:26 pm.

Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#2 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:03 pm

Good job, that's a really good explanation. good.gif

Now, can ya do an 850 and describe it to me. unsure.gif

This should go in the knowledgebase.

#3 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:06 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Tue 19th Jun 2007, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good job, that's a really good explanation. good.gif

Now, can ya do an 850 and describe it to me. unsure.gif

This should go in the knowledgebase.

Excellent description with superb pics.

Mk2 is pretty much the same if not even easier. There is more room inside the fairing so all you need to do is remove the screen and clock shroud. Takes about an hour to fit. Make sure you have plenty of cable ties to strap the ballasts to the fairing frame.

I will be fitting a pair of relays next week which will require tank removal as well. At present only the high beam is HID because the dip doesn't always come on properly. The relays should sort this.

Edited by Jez, 06 August 2007 - 10:35 am.

Red and black '96. Blue spot Thunderace calipers with braided two-line front hoses - 'kin brill. 17 incher out front. Renthal street/trail bars - vibe free. 1150GS brush guards. HIDs - niiiiice. Stebel Magnum - crikey. Nonfango hard luggage. Nexxus. SW-Motech center stand. Had a Powerbronze tall screen - too noisy - went back to standard.

Stealth Diamond Black 900 with lurvely black frame. GS brush guards. HotGrips on a relay - cos I keep forgetting. SW-Motech center stand and engine bars. LED rear light. Vario set to min. 17 incher. PR2s.

All now a fond (very fond) memory. Maybe again some day.

#4 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:25 pm

great topic mate
moved to knowledge base good.gif

is that conversion legal?
ie. will it pass an MOT in the UK i wonder? doubtfull.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#5 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:44 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Tue 19th Jun 2007, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great topic mate
moved to knowledge base good.gif

is that conversion legal?
ie. will it pass an MOT in the UK i wonder? doubtfull.gif

No HID lights have to have a self leveling mechanisim & also washers fitted for it to be legal in the UK. Or so I have been told.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#6 Stunts

Stunts

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:28 am

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Tue 19th Jun 2007, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No HID lights have to have a self leveling mechanisim & also washers fitted for it to be legal in the UK. Or so I have been told.
TAM

Mine sailed through the MOT a couple of weeks ago. The legal stipulation regarding the auto levelling and high pressure washer system is only relevant on new cars - not on retro fitted equipment.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Done: Sold the TDM, now have a rather large ZZR1200 filling the gap where my TDM used to live.

To do: Keep my licence............

Got rid of that thing within 200 miles - talk about Blaaaaaaand. Got myself a rather nice KTM 660SMC in a fetching orange colour.....

#7 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:48 am

QUOTE(Stunts @ Wed 20th Jun 2007, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine sailed through the MOT a couple of weeks ago. The legal stipulation regarding the auto levelling and high pressure washer system is only relevant on new cars - not on retro fitted equipment.

I think it would have to be a very strict MOT tester to fail you for them.
http://www.dft.gov.u...rs/hidheadlamps
not trying to be an arse smart or anything
TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 20 June 2007 - 08:59 am.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#8 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:56 am

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Wed 20th Jun 2007, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TAM

My MOT tester friend says should be ok as long as the level is set ok.

With so many car drivers unable to keep an eye on their headlight function and aim you can see why it would be a worry though.
Red and black '96. Blue spot Thunderace calipers with braided two-line front hoses - 'kin brill. 17 incher out front. Renthal street/trail bars - vibe free. 1150GS brush guards. HIDs - niiiiice. Stebel Magnum - crikey. Nonfango hard luggage. Nexxus. SW-Motech center stand. Had a Powerbronze tall screen - too noisy - went back to standard.

Stealth Diamond Black 900 with lurvely black frame. GS brush guards. HotGrips on a relay - cos I keep forgetting. SW-Motech center stand and engine bars. LED rear light. Vario set to min. 17 incher. PR2s.

#9 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:34 am

In Holland aftermarket HID installation (for cars at least) is allowed for cars built before december 2006. If they're newer than that, new rules apply for aftermarket setups. I'm not sure those are the same rules as for new installations and I also don't know if that applies to motorcycles. One would have to look at the BMW K1200GT which has HID installed standard. It doesn't seem to have washers, nor do I doubt that it has an autoleveler.

Anyway, we don't have MOT's for motorcycles in Holland tongue.gif .......... yet dry.gif

All pics of my installation BTW can be found here: http://piloot.smugmu...gallery/3027130

Bring me your TDM850 and we'll put it on together, making a similar picture show smile.gif

Edited by E-njoy, 20 June 2007 - 11:13 am.

Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#10 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:04 am

To finish the lighting chapter a bit, the position light (little "3rd" light) you see in the pics is a LED light. What you can't see in the pics is that it's extremely bright, because I tuned down the exposure on the camera to get a better picture.

The LED light I bought on ebay (UK this time I believe, but you'll find the everywhere) as a pair:

Installation is a simple plug and play operation, here you see the 4 LED's in the lamp in more detail:

Just unscrew the two screws on the lens, pull out the old bulb, plug in the new. Since it is not omnidirectional, the reflector won't be used anymore by the LED's (they shine forward, not backward like the regular bulb). That's why it looks like a dot. But it is much brighter than the stock bulb. On the next two pictures you see the regular bulb and the LED's compared. The shutter speed and focal opening are identical:

It also happens to have the same color as the 6000K HID lights. The position light seemed to be very noticable the last few months it was in.
Emile
www.piloot.com

#11 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:09 am

QUOTE(E-njoy @ Wed 20th Jun 2007, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bring me your TDM850 and we'll put it on together, making a similar picture show smile.gif

be careful what you offer, theres a whole load of us passing thru Belgium in a couple of weeks wink.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#12 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:24 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Wed 20th Jun 2007, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
be careful what you offer, theres a whole load of us passing thru Belgium in a couple of weeks wink.gif

I'll leave my 850 with you, and take your 900 to Germany E-njoy. unsure.gif

#13 Stunts

Stunts

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:42 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Wed 20th Jun 2007, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.dft.gov.u...rs/hidheadlamps
not trying to be an arse smart or anything
TAM

good.gif Hairy muff - I stand infected. Good find that man - I knew there was discussion on it but I didn't realise legislation had been passed..... blink.gif
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Done: Sold the TDM, now have a rather large ZZR1200 filling the gap where my TDM used to live.

To do: Keep my licence............

Got rid of that thing within 200 miles - talk about Blaaaaaaand. Got myself a rather nice KTM 660SMC in a fetching orange colour.....

#14 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:00 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Wed 20th Jun 2007, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll leave my 850 with you, and take your 900 to Germany E-njoy. unsure.gif

Sure, no problem. Gonna take my time though since I will be gone for several days in a row on nightstops in Germany. Wonder how many loads will be passing through, didn't see a lot of folks dedicating themselves in that topic. Are you going to order the HID kit, or you want me to do it for you here? Two times H7 as well? Or just one? Room enough in the fairing for two ballasts?
Emile
www.piloot.com

#15 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:52 pm

QUOTE(Stunts @ Wed 20th Jun 2007, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine passed it's first MOT without any problem either. 2 x HID's fitted
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#16 KIDD

KIDD

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:16 am

Hi everyone! New to the site so I may have a few silly questions. One question I have is the light above the headlight. On U.S. bikes they don't have it. I ordered one on ebay.uk and I was wondering what would be the best way to hook it since my 1992 didn't have a socket for it.

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:57 am

QUOTE(KIDD @ Sat 23rd Jun 2007, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone! New to the site so I may have a few silly questions. One question I have is the light above the headlight. On U.S. bikes they don't have it. I ordered one on ebay.uk and I was wondering what would be the best way to hook it since my 1992 didn't have a socket for it.

Hello and welcome Kidd (first name Eddie or Billy perhaps??) are you 100% sure that the socket is not on your bike loom, have you checked ?? how many loight switch positions do stateside TDM's have ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 KIDD

KIDD

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:39 am

Well I had the bike apart this weekend and after inspecting the wiring under the cowling there was no socket for a bulb. I did find what wires I would need to get it done though through the Haynes manual. Just need a ground and I will grab some power off the tail light.

#19 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:36 pm

QUOTE(KIDD @ Wed 27th Jun 2007, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I had the bike apart this weekend and after inspecting the wiring under the cowling there was no socket for a bulb. I did find what wires I would need to get it done though through the Haynes manual. Just need a ground and I will grab some power off the tail light.

good job then. it shud be easy enough to wire it in.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:12 pm

QUOTE(Jez @ Tue 19th Jun 2007, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent description with superb pics.

Mk2 is pretty much the same if not even easier. There is more room inside the fairing so all you need to do is remove the screen and clock shroud. Takes about an hour to fit. Make sure you have plenty of cable ties to strap the ballasts to the fairing frame.

I will be fitting a pair of relays next week which will require tank removal as well. At present only the high beam is HID because it doesn't always come on properly. The relays should sort this.

Fused relays fitted behind right hand fairing panel and supplied straight from battery. Both ballasts attached to fairing frame behind the screen. Loads of room and one happy Jez banana.gif .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users