Photo
- - - - -

Are There Any Drop-In Fork Springs That Firm Up The Ride On The 9's?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:53 am

So far I am perfectly happy with the ride quality, but it doesn't hurt to be informed.

So if I wanted to move the ride experience away from the touring all-rounder to a sportier one, are there any fork kits or replacement springs that I should look at?

In case it's relevant, I'm happy to report that both my BMI and my lady-piilion's are both in the "normal" range, so no over compensation needed.

#2 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:29 am

So far I am perfectly happy with the ride quality, but it doesn't hurt to be informed.

So if I wanted to move the ride experience away from the touring all-rounder to a sportier one, are there any fork kits or replacement springs that I should look at?

In case it's relevant, I'm happy to report that both my BMI and my lady-piilion's are both in the "normal" range, so no over compensation needed.

The more comprehensive upgrade is installing a catridge type kit (some ~£500, I believe) or at £100 install a set of Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators. The latter improved suspension substantially on my 9er. Also installed stiffer springs. 

On the rear, install a new shock (Nitron, Wilbers or smth)

Edited by Bjørge, 15 May 2020 - 08:31 am.

Bjørge

#3 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:50 am

The more comprehensive upgrade is installing a catridge type kit (some ~£500, I believe) or at £100 install a set of Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators. The latter improved suspension substantially on my 9er. Also installed stiffer springs. 

On the rear, install a new shock (Nitron, Wilbers or smth)

Thanks.

Isn't the rear an Ohlins? Supposedly quality stuff that I'd have thought could be rebuilt....

I'll be honest, I could fit the emulators, and perhaps some stiffer springs (progressive or single rate?) but I think I'll only go further if needs absolutely must.  As it stands, I think the bike has toe-scraping potential provided it's not a rough surface.

Edited by SeizedBalt, 15 May 2020 - 08:57 am.

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:09 am

Yamaha own Ohlins (or maybe ownED Ohlins) but the stuff on budget bikes was not Ohlins - the yellow spring looks the part though!

Emulators do a good job (YSS cheaper) I ended up back with stock 2003 springs which are firmer than 2005 on. The rear unit is actually ok albeit a bit harsh which suits 2 up travel better.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#5 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:39 am

Yeah, as delectable as a new Wilbers shock may be, I can't afford one any time soon. 

But as I plan to change the fork oil, emulators might be a worthwhile expense.

#6 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 May 2020 - 01:51 pm

I have Hyperpro progressive fork springs. Calsport in Birmingham,UK has them on eBay £120. Other sellers report either out of stock or discontinued. I bought it ages ago, attracted by a reduced price, but forget the details of the supplier.

It is a full kit with oil and a good instruction booklet. I don't remember how it copes with the different fork internals over the years.

I have found that I am pretty insensitive to suspension settings, but the bike with this kit has been used at several track days and on 400 mile days around Scotland with no problems. I'm a skinny 75kg kitted up and use the settings recommended in the booklet.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#7 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:13 pm

That is interesting!

I'll investigate that.

Wemoto has some progressives by Hagon and Wirth, but I strongly suspect these are just designed to be pattern replacements meeting OEM specs, and not a performance upgrade for those after a more spirited riding experience without the need for precautionary incontinence pads.

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:27 pm

Hagons are full length progressive. Stock springs are shorter and use a piece of tube as a spacer.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#9 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:33 pm

I’ve got Hyperpro progressive springs in the front and an M-Shock at the back. Very happy with that set up but I only went that way because I my old rear shock was leaking (yeah, I know I could have had it rebuilt).

I also bought YSS emulators but didn’t fit them in the end - they recommend single rate sprints BTW - but I’m probably going to use them in my XL600R instead.

Like Steve above, I seem to pretty insensitive to suspension changes on the TDM, or perhaps I just ride to my comfort limit and adjust to each bikes capabilities. I don’t do track days though and am a fairly conservative rider (I do have my moments though  :) ).

Edited by Jim, 15 May 2020 - 02:37 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#10 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:38 pm

Hagons are full length progressive. Stock springs are shorter and use a piece of tube as a spacer.

Whats the real world effect if that? Softer tide, presumably?

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:57 pm

In my bike it firmed up front and reduced dive. Progressive springs increase the spring rate as they compress.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#12 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:26 pm

In my bike it firmed up front and reduced dive. Progressive springs increase the spring rate as they compress.

I'm familiar with progressives: I've stiffened up forks by cutting off a few turns of the tight end and adding a spacer to compensate, but I'd always thought that a short spring would be stiffer than a long one, even if with the same rate.

In other words, we have two springs with spring rate "X".  One is a foot long, the other is a foot and a half.  If we compress both by six inches, the shorter spring would need more work.

Is this wrong? 

Either way, the results you got with the Hagons sound like what I'm after...

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:10 pm

Wilburs supplied my rear shock, with hydraulic preload, but they are eye wateringly expensive.

#14 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:23 pm

Wilburs supplied my rear shock, with hydraulic preload, but they are eye wateringly expensive.

YSS have a half way reasonably priced shock at about 400.

Hyperpro came in at 500.

I suspect wilbers would be closer to 600.

#15 CharlieMac

CharlieMac

sticking around

• 37 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:38 pm

Can highly recommend the Hyperpro progressive fork springs. Had them supplied and fitted by Revs Racing in Halesowen. Cuts out the diving and completely transforms the ride imo. Still going strong on the original shock and haven't as yet felt the need to upgrade.

#16 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:33 am

Yamaha own Ohlins (or maybe ownED Ohlins) but the stuff on budget bikes was not Ohlins - the yellow spring looks the part though!

Emulators do a good job (YSS cheaper) I ended up back with stock 2003 springs which are firmer than 2005 on. The rear unit is actually ok albeit a bit harsh which suits 2 up travel better.

.......Oh , that’s interesting, Dandy....you were always an enthusiast for the Emulators....what was the downside ? (I’m on an 850, if it’s relevant, and don’t do two-up.)

#17 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:58 am

.......Oh , that’s interesting, Dandy....you were always an enthusiast for the Emulators....what was the downside ? (I’m on an 850, if it’s relevant, and don’t do two-up.)

Downside is they can be a bit hit or miss when you first fit them as they respond to little adjustments and it's a faff to pull them out again. I converted a few 850s and once set up they just stay that way - no need for further adjustments unless the bike is in very heavy, touring mode.

I'm familiar with progressives: I've stiffened up forks by cutting off a few turns of the tight end and adding a spacer to compensate, but I'd always thought that a short spring would be stiffer than a long one, even if with the same rate.

In other words, we have two springs with spring rate "X".  One is a foot long, the other is a foot and a half.  If we compress both by six inches, the shorter spring would need more work.

Is this wrong? 

Either way, the results you got with the Hagons sound like what I'm after...

That's right - full length springs usually have a larger wire diameter. If you go down the emulator route the advice is to use linear springs. Progressive springs compensate for poor damping characteristics

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:04 am

YSS have a half way reasonably priced shock at about 400.

Hyperpro came in at 500.

I suspect wilbers would be closer to 600.

Worth a look?

https://www.brooksus...repair-service/

https://www.bennetts...r-k-tech-review

#19 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:24 am

Nice links!  Thanks!

#20 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:58 pm

Would heavier oil firm things up a bit?

I've got same as Jim, Hyperpro front and M- shock rear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users