#1 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:48 pm

This one is getting a lot of Facebook activity....what do you think ? Of course the car jumped red lights, but according to the advice I've received this was always a risky strategy. Personally I don't think i would have gone past the lorry so readily.

(Facebook required, sorry, don't know where this video is on t'internet)

https://www.facebook...55094781305135/

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:33 pm

Hoping rider is OK error or not

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:30 am

That overtake is one I do but know I shouldn't, might be a bit more careful after seeing that.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:04 am

Crikey, i echo favs sentiments, having had an off involving a lorry overtake i think extreme caution shall prevail for the future.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:58 am

Facebook not required.  Yes, I would have done that.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:19 am

And me green traffic light, its amazing how the cars behind him all piss of quick

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:28 am

On a non traffic light junction I'm not sure, but on traffic lights I'd definitely have done that.  Looked nasty.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:20 am

I don't like having my view completely obscured like that, but I probably would've done the same--though more cautiously. I hope the driver does time to reflect on that madness.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:41 am

apparently his worst injury was a broken ankle..... maybe lucky to have only got that. looked terrible.

I'm still 50/50 about whether I would have gone. I suppos I might have done.

3 of the main 5 biker accident types stacked up togwther there - Filtering, Overtaking, Junction

#10 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:43 pm

3 of the main 5 biker accident types stacked up togwther there - Filtering, Overtaking, Junction

To be fair to him though, there was no reason not to think it wasn't safe under the circumstances.  His only mistake was lack of visibility to the left, but due to the red light stopping the traffic it's understandable to accept it as being fine to proceed.

All traffic "should" have been stationary that posed the threat.  It's unfortunately one of those freak accidents and bad timing, that at that moment some idiot jumped a red light at speed.

If there had been room for cars they would have done the same, but it's a sad state in the comments that people seem set on attacking the victim of a potentially fatal accident by accusing him of being a dangerous biker who should have known better.  The driver not only jumped a red light, but did it blind to what was coming due to the lorry, so how the blame is on the copper with these people amazes me.

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:06 pm

I agree, I haven't blamed him but i have thought that if i asked a police biker should I wait behind the lorry for it to turn or head over to the middle and the traffic control arrows would I be frowned at for even asking.........but main thing is he is okay

#12 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:09 pm

I can't see the bloomin' link.  Says it's not available.

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:49 pm

Same here now, guessing the video posterupperer has made the viewing private. 

Good ol' sharing Facebook. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:24 pm

How about looking at it from the red light jumper's perspective. He had no view at all and yet he drove through that red at speed. He deserves to get book thrown at him. That was murderously bad.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#15 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:49 pm

Drivers jump the lights round here all the time. I haven't seen the video but you can never assume that because your lights are green, there won't be anything coming. If you can't see, proceed with extreme caution because some numbnuts could very well take you out.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#16 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:59 pm

https://drivetribe.i...rop=faces,edges

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:27 pm

Good find Rally !

All traces of the video, and all accompanying comments have been removed.

Perhaps the police requested that ? (speculating)

Or maybe the people who can be seen to just drive on, ignoring the injured cop, requested it was taken down  ?

I made the comment to someone that you should proceed with caution, then someone said it is not reasonable to assume that a green light means anything other than it is safe to proceed.....so I asked the question "What are traffic light cameras for ?" (what does their existence prove)....but haviung said that i think they're for the marginal jumpers...the blatant jumpers like this are beyond the punishment scales dolled out by cameras !

The main thing, as Favs says, is that the biker wasn't critically injured, although he took a big impact full on. I think the red light jumper was either on their mobile, or driving a stolen car.....the sun appears to be facing the light jumpers face but probably too high in the sky to be blinding them. (See Rally's picture)

Edited by fixitsan, 19 August 2017 - 08:57 am.

#18 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:27 pm

I think the car driver should be be facing a good old-fashioned kicking in the cell's

Sometimes the old methods are the best

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:15 pm

I think the car driver should be be facing a good old-fashioned kicking in the cell's

Without a doubt :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users