10 replies to this topic

#1 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 March 2024 - 08:05 am

Hi all.

Being fairly dim (oh no, a pun) when it comes to vehicle electrics, I need to ask: What's the exact location of any spare connector(s) on my 9er? Switched or live?

Also, would one such (live) be the best source for a future accessories fuse box to limit the number of ring terminals on the battery? I'm thinking along the lines of an Eastern Beaver PC-8R or similar.

#2 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 25 March 2024 - 09:12 am

You don't need to spend much for an accessory block,

I simply bought a cheap fuse box on ebay for around £6 (just look up auto fuse box and loads available), and then took a direct live and earth from battery to power it, but triggered off an ignition powered relay, so it only comes on with the ignition but gets the full power supply from the battery.

Then tap off the required feeds from whatever fuse rating you need.  I have heated grips, DRLs, sat nav, chain oiler and USB socket etc coming off it.

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 25 March 2024 - 06:26 pm

I used to have a basic terminal block with multiple spade connectors, connected to the battery via a relay, which worked but was a mess.  In the end I decided to neaten it up and fitted a fuse box with a built in relay from Nippy Norman  https://www.nippynor...able-fuse-panel

Power comes straight from the battery, with a signal wire for the relay from the dipped beam headlight.  I run spot lights, 2 DIN sockets (heated jacket and phone charger in tank bag), Satnav, and a USB charger under the seat from it, as well as the Autocom and radio I no longer use.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 March 2024 - 08:42 am

My choice is a Thunder Box, very simple install and a choice to wire for the accessories to come on when the engine is running or with ignition.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 11:28 am

Thanks for the suggestions, but the question remains: Are there spare connections underseat?

#6 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 March 2024 - 12:12 pm

Yes, but designed for an alarm. Fiddle at your own risk!

Go see JBX's site : https://www.tdm-yama...ex.php?page=ALR

Dunno how much access you will have - I am a subscriber.

Two versions, if yours is 2003 then the first. Dunno if / how you can use it tho'.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#7 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 12:30 pm

Thanks Steve! I'm a donor too so have access, but I'm unsure how to approach what I'm looking at there now. I'll take a look to see if it explains itself in the flesh.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 01:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, but the question remains: Are there spare connections underseat?

If it's a switched live, then i think the rear brake master cylinder has a live for the brake switch.

You can also get a switched live from the rear light which is permanently on. There is enough current overhead to use that 12V supply to switch a relay

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 March 2024 - 01:35 pm

Probably should have been more specific, but the answer referring to the fuse block is because there aren't really any connections underseat - not worth digging into anyway unless you really know your onions (which you confess not to).

You can probably dig around for the live, but what's it's rating is I'm unsure, and probably not enough to start running much more than a USB connector off.

When the battery is sitting right there, the best bet is to wire straight off it and you have all the power you need and a lot easier than poking around with the alarm connectors.

In terms of a switched live, I just came off the fuse box wiring and tapped into one (can't remember which) to trigger the relay.  If you can find a switched live in the alarm connector block I would say that would be ok though, I just left it alone to be on the safe side though - or as above, rear light etc.

Edited by Nog, 26 March 2024 - 01:38 pm.

#10 JerryS

JerryS

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 137 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 March 2024 - 04:48 pm

I used to have a basic terminal block with multiple spade connectors, connected to the battery via a relay, which worked but was a mess.  In the end I decided to neaten it up and fitted a fuse box with a built in relay from Nippy Norman  https://www.nippynor...able-fuse-panel

Power comes straight from the battery, with a signal wire for the relay from the dipped beam headlight.  I run spot lights, 2 DIN sockets (heated jacket and phone charger in tank bag), Satnav, and a USB charger under the seat from it, as well as the Autocom and radio I no longer use.

I use the same on my 9er, but I haven't got around to tapping into a live wire, so my accessories are permanently live but I'm only running a GPS and a USB socket. I also have my optimate battery charger connected through it.

Fuel Cans, Baglux tank cover, Givi E21 panniers, Givi Flow top box, Yamaha centre stand, Garmin Zumo SatNav,, Givi engine bars, Barkbuster S1 handguards, Powerbronze Fender Extender and Headlight guards.

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 March 2024 - 05:44 pm

I used the switched feed from the alarm connector to send the relay signal to the accessories four way box connected to the battery
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users